Easy Ornaments to Make

by Robyn Wright on November 15, 2008

We try to make ornaments each year. A few for our own tree, and then some to give as gifts. I started this when my husband and I first were married and had very little money (hey we’ve come full circle and are back to having very little again ugh). When my son, Taylor, was old enough he began making ornaments to give as gifts.

One of my favorites was from when he was only 4 or 5 years old. So simple to do and they hold up really well. Gather up a bunch of pine cones. It doesn’t matter if they are the kind that the petals are far apart or the ones that are tightly packed. Each will work and have their own unique look.

You will also need some regular school-type glue, paper plates, something to cover your workspace, glitters (your choice of colors), shiny string or thin ribbon, and scissors.

Cover your work space for this. Pour some glue onto a paper plate. Pour your glitters onto paper plates also. One color per plate. Simply take a pine cone and roll it in the glue lightly. Then roll it in the glitter. Set aside to dry. Once dry, cut pieces of string/ribbon to tie onto the top of the pine cone so you can hang them from the tree. That’s it!

Don’t overlook the clear glitters. Those are some of my favorite as it looks like ice on the pine cones, very pretty!

Even if you don’t try this with your kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, neighbors (whoever), try doing something fun with them. If you are short on ideas try the Klutz line of books. We love these as they always give wonderful instructions and that most have all the supplies you need to get started with the book. Such a great and easy way to spend an afternoon. Thanks to The Parent Bloggers Network for this Klutz-y Blog Tour!

© 2008 – 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 coriwestphal November 16, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Got extra pine cones? Here’s another good one. Smear pine cones with peanut butter. Then roll them in either bird seed or sunflower seeds. Hang them on a string from a tree or we even hang them off of our roof outside windows. Birds love this nice treat in the wintertime and it’s fun to watch them eat it. Great project for kids and it’s safe to lick your fingers!

2 landofennui November 17, 2008 at 3:31 am

A really great (an inexpensive) ornament idea is to do an origami bird. WHen I was a baby, my parents were waiting for their house to be finished being built at Christmastime. All the ornaments were in storage. My oldest brother made origami canes (very easy to make – you can find instructions anywhere) in white paper and put ribbon on them and put them on the tree. I think some had glitter on them, too. My parents still have one of the paper birds and it goes on the tree every year. It’s very pretty and simple.

3 gretablau November 17, 2008 at 6:35 pm

That’s such a cool idea! I definitely want to do stuff like this with my son when he is old enough. We can make a trip out of going to the park to get the pine cones too! I don’t know why, but I really love pine cones…ha.

Want to try coriwestphal’s idea too for the birdies.

OOOH origami cranes! That’s a great idea too! A tree covered in them! Nice!

4 aud1inok November 17, 2008 at 8:45 pm

What a great project to do this winter with the kiddos! Cheap and fun!

5 UnrealBaby November 17, 2008 at 9:00 pm

I was just thinking of a unique family tradition we could incorporate into our new family and this is perfect! I’m off to visit the other blog and check it out. TX!

6 EJW November 17, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I make ornaments for my son’s daycare teachers. They’re easy, inexpensive, and non-denominational, so they work for everyone!

7 foamfan November 17, 2008 at 9:15 pm

If you have access to the HUGE pinecones that grow in some areas, they can be tied at the base, with ribbon or wire, and strung together in a bunch (think bunch of grapes) to make attractive door or window hangings. Just fasten together and add a big bow at the top.
If desired, the cones can be spray-painted, or just leave them natural.

8 GNO Gals, Jyl and Carissa November 17, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I’m all about homemade gifts, decorations and such…SOOO tired of the commercialism with holidays birthdays etc…

Am liking your site!

Carissa @mommygossip-GNO

9 ChiefFamilyOfficer November 18, 2008 at 3:56 am

I love how easy this sounds – even my little ones could do this!

10 cathyhall November 18, 2008 at 8:12 am

Great inexpensive ideas! – keeps the kids busy too. I just bought my son a Kltz book of make your own monsters, he loves it!

11 cherio1 November 18, 2008 at 8:21 am

Save and clean the wishbone from your Thanksgiving turkey. Let dry thoroughly then decorate. We have used glitter, paints and various bows, ribbons and picks. (Not necessarily all at once, lol) We have saved them over the years and have quite a collection of them. My daughter even won a decorating contest at school with one of them. They turn out really cute. VERY easy!

12 Dixie November 21, 2008 at 6:28 pm

What a great idea. I’m going to gather some pinecones and make these with my little granddaughter.
I love handmade ornaments and I cherish all of the ones my kids made for me over the years.

13 dh November 22, 2008 at 1:13 am

Easiest ornament I ever made. Take white glass ornaments. Draw a face on it. coal Mouth, carrot nose, coal eyes – instant snowman ornaments to give out.

14 Lori November 23, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Those are so simple and you could really mass produce those. I make ornaments that are characters by covering class ornaments in air dry clay, and then making a silly head and legs to stick out. They turn out pretty cute but it takes me a minimum of two days to do one.

lkziegler[at]gmail[dot]com

15 Kelly November 24, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Thats a great idea.

16 Shooting Stars Mag December 2, 2008 at 3:16 am

these can be really cute. i used to make ornaments as well. they are cute and great little memories as you get older. moreso sometimes then store bought ones!

-lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

17 Amaranta December 8, 2008 at 3:24 pm

the hand-made ornaments are always the cutest! i can’t wait to have those when i have kids