Keep User IDs and Passwords Handy via Rolodex

by Robyn Wright on November 30, 2008

in Tech

Rolodex for PasswordsIf you have been using the internet for longer than a couple of weeks you surely have noticed the number of user IDs and passwords that you have already accumulated. So many sites require you to register to get the full benefits of what they have to offer, or you use a service of one site that works on many (like a Google or Yahoo ID). You have your ISP, email address, and on and on. Some people think you can just keep the same info for all sites, this is false. The majority will let you pick your own user ID and password, but some only use your email address, some assign you a user ID of their choosing, and you might have some personal things vs. business that you want to keep different user IDs for. For safety, it’s also safer not to have the same passwords for everything under the sun, especially anything connected to banking, shopping, or other sensitive information. More about passwords some other time.

For folks like me who have been online for years and sign up for an enormous number of sites (for whatever the reason) it becomes nearly impossible to just remember all of this information. Years ago I bought myself a small Rolodex card file to keep track of all this information. I’ve since upgraded to the larger one. My hubby and son both have their own small Rolodex now as well. I should mention we also use desktop computers primarily at each of our own desks so this solution works well for us.

Every time I register on another site, I grab a new Rolodex card and write the URL at the top, then my user ID, password, the email address I used (I have multiple emails for various uses), and any other important info I want to keep handy. Then it’s filed by the URL in my Rolodex for easy access.

I know some of you might be wondering why I just don’t keep all those things on my computer. There are several programs available, both free and pay, that will keep this data close at hand. Plus there is the option of just using a spreadsheet, notepad, database, document, etc. to keep track. Yes, all those things are options, but for me, reaching over with one hand and flipping the Rolodex to the card is much simpler.

Rolodex has a variety of designs available for what they call “Contact Management” – take a look to see what fits you best. Thank you to Tara of Feels Like Home for finally getting me to get this tip up on my blog!

© 2008 – 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Amy November 30, 2008 at 8:45 am

ITs a great idea, not only for convenience but safety as well. Keep it al in one place online and make a hackers job that much easier.

I also still like tickler files

2 Jenn November 30, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I love this. I can never remember what I have used for my ID/pw for various sites…

3 angie November 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm

What a great idea! The one I have is not really a good idea to do that so when I get a pc at home I will surely do this!
Have a happy Sunday!
Angie

4 Casandra A. November 30, 2008 at 7:20 pm

This is true. I have the same password for some of my accounts so I feel I should do something about this now. Thanks for the advice.
-thinkersblock07@yahoo.com

5 Leeanne December 1, 2008 at 5:00 am

I was just thinking the other day about this and how to keep my user names and passwords straight. My SO showed me a website to use but then I realized I would have to remember that user name and password too. Too much to remember. I like the Rolodex idea, I may have to go pick one up. Thanks for the tip.

6 KLM39 December 1, 2008 at 3:25 pm

This is such important info, thank you.

7 tracey73110 December 1, 2008 at 5:05 pm

this is a great idea. i have passowrds in notebooks on enevlopes and a bunch i forgot. miketra@sbcglobal.net

8 Shooting Stars Mag December 1, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Nice idea. I need to write all mine down as well. I started too, and never quite finished…but i too have a ton of usernames/emails/passwords and it’s hard to remember them all!

-lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

9 rlr260 December 1, 2008 at 9:41 pm

What a great idea. I would like to have a record of my user ID’s and passwords for my family to reference in an emergency.

10 samsakara December 1, 2008 at 11:45 pm

This would come in handy to remember all my passwords.

samsakara@twcny.rr.com

11 peg42 December 2, 2008 at 12:10 am

This is such a wonderful idea! This is one of those ideas that you say to yourself, why didn’t I think of this. Right now I keep my passwords in a little memo pad and its not organized at all. I’m going to use this Rolodex idea. Thanks.

12 Heather - CROQZine.com December 2, 2008 at 1:21 am

I use Keepass to keep track of my passwords. At first I was skeptical, but I really like it now. I had NO IDEA how many passwords we have to keep track of these days. It is literally almost a hundred.

13 Ken December 2, 2008 at 5:06 am

A password organizer would be great. I’m notoriously lazy when it comes to passwords and I’ve recently had to pay for it. Please accept my entry. Thank you.

14 nbp December 2, 2008 at 8:37 am

What a great idea! I think I will start using a Rolodex

15 Ginny December 2, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I almost did this. I ended up using index cards in an index box with those alphabet sorters. I actually was going to use that as a wordless wednesday, lol

16 foamfan December 2, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Using the Rolodex is a great idea. So often, you forget a password…they say they’ll send you the password…but they never do. Then you end up ripping out handfuls of (your) hair…because you can’t get to THEIR hair.
Sounds like a timesaver and a peacekeeper!

17 Lindsey December 2, 2008 at 4:00 pm

What a GREAT idea! I could also use this for work – I work at home and have so many IDs/Passwords it gets confusing. :-) Thanks for the tip!

18 gretablau December 2, 2008 at 4:09 pm

So funny. This is a great idea but I know the rolodex would get lost under my piles of clutter. I have a problem! That’s the first step…admitting the problem.

19 The Consumer Queen December 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Very Cool!!

20 Jamie December 3, 2008 at 12:31 am

I love this idea! I always think I save my passwords in a safe place on my computer and then I end up having to do a search…ha!

21 Stacy December 3, 2008 at 2:06 am

Currently my passwords are on a sticky by the computer. But I have work ones too. Its hard to keep track.

hetz-junk(at)hotmail(dot)com

22 birthright midwife December 3, 2008 at 8:44 am

so simple, but so smart. I am guilty of overusing passwords sometimes and need to get a system.

23 Theresa N. December 3, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I’ve been trying to find a way to keep up with all my passwords. This is a really good idea I think I’ll try.
Theresa N
weceno(at)yahoo(dot)com

24 kmg365 December 3, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I’ve always been hesitant to use paper for recording passwords, just in case someone breaks into my house. I use a terrific program that’s primarily a form-filler, but is also a whiz with passwords. It will generate a very secure password for each site you visit, and remember it for you when you return. (And the program itself can be password protected on many levels.)

25 Tina12312 December 3, 2008 at 1:21 pm

What a wonderful idea, it does get hard to keep up with all the ids and passwords. Thank you!

26 Aimee December 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm

What a great idea! I’ve got a rolodex, but I’ve never thought of using it to store passwords. Instead I’ve got 500 random mini-sticky notes stuck all over my desk. :)

27 Marie December 3, 2008 at 2:54 pm

I hate keeping track of all the various passwords — it drives me slightly batty! :-) But I like the idea of a roladex — might try that out!

vmlay@artsci.wustl.edu

28 Kristan December 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Oh, good idea! I tend to just have my browser remember the ids and passwords, and I only have a few that I use, but this is a really good idea. Would have come in handy last week when I was switching to a new computer…

Kristan
khoffman at gmail.com

29 Fangirl Jen December 3, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Neat idea to use a roladex. My main concern in doing so would be security. If you have all of those passwords written down (an thus no encrypted) then it would be easy for someone to steal them all in one swoop. Perhaps, keeping a separate locked up file for the really sensitive sites (i.e. banking) would be a solution.

30 brandy December 3, 2008 at 8:43 pm

this is so great. i forget my password and usernames all the time. i belong to so many sites.
bwalleshauser AT yahoo DOT com

31 Bloggy Finds December 4, 2008 at 12:56 am

Oh, could I use one of these. I have pieces of paper clipped together with all my passwords & logins even some sticky notes on my monitor.

jeanilynne[at]gmail[dot]com

32 sarah December 4, 2008 at 4:55 am

i can see how it can be a good thing but does this come with a lock? what if some unsuspecting stranger finds it and gains access to all my passwords? that would be awful.

fertawert AT yahoo DOT com

33 Renée aka Mekhismom December 4, 2008 at 12:49 pm

What a great idea! I love it.

34 Jackie B. December 6, 2008 at 3:09 am

Hey! Great tip. So simple yet I would never have thought of it on my own.

35 follmatz December 6, 2008 at 7:54 am

I use my rolodex at work as a quick troubleshooting manual for technical issues. It reminds me of the various commands I need to use for the device having the problem.

36 Kelly from Almost Frugal December 6, 2008 at 10:59 am

This is a good idea! I use a business card file in a similar way. BTW, I’m following you on Twitter, I stumbled You, I’m going to post about this in my daily round up and I bookmarked you in De.i.cious. http://delicious.com/AlmostFrugal (Almost Frugal is my name on everything). almostfrugal at gmail.com

37 Tara @ Feels like home December 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Thanks again for posting this idea, Robyn! It’s in Things to Write Home About. :)

38 ~two~ December 8, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I like this idea…and am going to use it!!!

39 YJ December 14, 2008 at 7:15 am

omg this is awesome– i’ve been looking for a way to keep track of mine as well as my husband’s manifold id’s and passwords.

one more tip is to list the passwords in an obvious code. i know this seems against the whole point of having everything in one location, but you never know who may stumble upon your rolodex and use the information against you…

-shiraka11 [at] yahoo [dot] com

40 Jenn December 14, 2008 at 12:25 pm

It’s a great idea…but only if you’re the only one in your office or you can lock your office. NOt good for cube dwellers.

41 Kristi December 16, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I haven’t used a Rolodex in forever, but after losing my contacts from my phone twice, I just may!

42 vwestermeyer December 16, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I love this idea. I have an address basket from longaberger that I keep by the computer and add to it as I find new websites that require something other than my ordinary password!

43 Lisa @ Serah's December 17, 2008 at 3:40 am

‘d recommend keeping your Rolodex in a locked, safe place when you’re not going to be home. You never know if someone might break in.

44 Mama Hill December 18, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I had someone bust into my paypal which was not good because all my passwords were the same! Not good! This is a great idea!

45 abcdbanda December 19, 2008 at 2:07 pm

what a great organizational tool! i’ll be telling my hubby about this one:) thanks!
christinbanda@yahoo.com

46 wigget December 19, 2008 at 4:09 pm

what a great idea!

47 maria December 20, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I’ve used this for awhile now and it’s really convenient! Great post!

48 Katmagick December 25, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I use roboform for saving and creating passwords. I guess if you want to write them all down thats a good way to do it but I would rather use roboform. All your robo info is password protected so no one else can access it if you set it up that way. I wouldn’t really want written info like that around. I only use my rolodex for personal/business names and numbers.

49 That Girl Who Likes To Go, Go, Go December 31, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I wish I had read this years ago. My own laptop just tanked, taking all my information down with it. I’m going to do this from now on. I think. I intend to. I’ll kick myself later if I don’t.