Christmas Pretzels

by Robyn Wright on December 9, 2008

in Food

christmas pretzelsThese pretzels have become a tradition to make in our home. I warn you ahead of time they are addicting. Making them will take some time, but they aren’t difficult at all. The little ones can even help by placing the M&M’s on each pretzel. T has been our M&M placer every year we have made them. Over the years he has gotten much quicker so the whole process is a little faster for us. This is best done as a group effort rather than by yourself. The more hands the better! You can see our assembly line in process in the photo.

The white candy part is just the bars of melting candy you can find everywhere this time of year. It’s referred to as Almond Bark also. I would think most grocery stores would have it and I know that Walmart carries it. Craft stores that have a cake & candy making section would be a good place to look also.

Ingredients & Supplies

• Pretzels – tiny twist shape (do NOT use a buttery flavor pretzels, we prefer Rold Gold brand)
  • White melting candy (aka Almond Bark)
  • M&M’s candy – regular variety in holiday colors
  • Waxed paper
  • Zip-Loc bags

Clear off your kitchen table or another large work area. The more room you have the better for this project. Cover your work service with sheets of waxed paper. Divide the M&M’s by color (red/green – a great job for the kids). Lay out your pretzels in a single layer on the waxed paper.

Melt the candy on the stovetop or in the microwave according to the package directions. It needs to be warm enough so that it flows easily. We do it in batches and just heat up more as we need it. Once warmed, place in a Zip-loc bag and snip off a tiny corner of the bag to dispense. Now go along and fill in the top 2 rounded portions of the pretzels with the melted candy. It’s important to have the melted candy reach all sides of each opening so that it holds together. Have someone follow behind you and drop a red M&M in one side and a green M&M on the other side.

Let the candy cool completely. Then they will easily come off the wax paper. Store in sealed containers. These make great gifts for anyone you want to give just a little something to. Get some small bags and fill with a handful of the finished pretzels and tie with a ribbon and add a tag for a cute gift.

Want another great pretzel idea for holiday gifts? Check out Real Life Sara’s Chocolate Sprinkled Pretzel Sticks.

P.S. Frugal Upstate is gathering up bloggers holiday traditions. Head on over and see what everyone else is up to this holiday season!

P.P.S. Foodie Mama is having a Last Minute Food Gifts Contest – head over and enter ASAP (ends 12/23/08) for your chance to win great foodie prizes!

© 2008 – 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Tara @ Feels like home December 9, 2008 at 12:43 am

These look delicious! I bet they’d make a nice gift, too. :)

And of course, a nice addition to Things to Write Home About.

2 Shannon "Coupon Princess" December 9, 2008 at 1:04 am

Thanks for sharing!

3 dh December 9, 2008 at 2:40 am

You are a much better person than me. I did chocolate dipped pretzels like that one year, and decided it was more work than it was worth. Taste wise that are so worth getting as a gift.

4 Bebemiqui December 9, 2008 at 3:14 am

I love making candy…especially divinity.
bebemiqui82(at)yahoo(dot)com

5 thethirddegree December 9, 2008 at 3:22 am

That sounds easy enough for ME to make! The idea of candy-making has always sounded scary to me, but that one sounds easy! Thanks for the idea!

6 happymommy3 December 9, 2008 at 3:37 am

Those sound really tasty. I may have to try them. I used to do alot of baking of cookies for the holiday. I stopped when I moved to FL. I didn’t really have family who will eat it. Now I have a family of 5. I bet they would love them.

7 coriwestphal December 9, 2008 at 3:56 am

Ok. I’m a little PO’d. I just spent 2 hours the other day melting almond bark and dipping pretzels in it. I never thought of just melting it and drizzling it over the top! I’m such a dork sometimes! The kids had fun anyway. Thanks for the shortcut!

8 Lori December 9, 2008 at 7:58 am

I like the ziploc baggie technique. It always amazes me that Wilton gets away with charging people for the decorating triangles.

lkziegler[at]gmail[dot]com

9 Mommy_of_2 December 9, 2008 at 8:29 am

We like to use pretzel rods.. dip them almost completely in chocolate, drizzle with white choclater, and add sprinkles… the process is long and messy, but my daughter lovesit! Pretzels are her favorite!

Great to give as gifts in tins or cute cellophane for stocking stuffers!

10 foamfan December 9, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I haven't tried these yet, but I think it would be fun to use the mini M&M's to decorate with, too!
Waaay back in college, I paid outrageous prices at a mall candy shop, for chocolate pretzel fixes!!

11 Lisa December 9, 2008 at 3:52 pm

They look too pretty to eat…

12 carrie December 9, 2008 at 4:14 pm

this is great, thanks bunches!

camagee07 at hotmail dot com

13 Patricia December 9, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Nice visual, thanks for sharing the simple recipe and directions.

14 Kathleen December 9, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for this great idea for my stockpile of pretzels!!!
Kathleen

15 Shooting Stars Mag December 9, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I know someone who makes something similar to this and they are soo yummy and very very addicting. I really want some now!
-Lauren

16 Shooting Stars Mag December 9, 2008 at 5:41 pm

-Lauren

Lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

17 Nicky December 9, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I love the idea and am going to give it a try.

18 Connie December 10, 2008 at 4:53 am

They look so festive and I know they taste great. Chocolate covered pretzels is the one thing my Hubby always gets me when we go to Disney.

We're an M&M family too so these will go over well. I'm putting this on my "to do" list for when dd is out of school.

19 Sheri December 10, 2008 at 1:32 pm

My youngest son always makes the white dipped pretzels at Christmas, it’s his own tradition. I’m sure he’ll want to try these now too.

20 Dina December 10, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Those look great! Someone I know dips pretzel sticks in chocolate – milk or dark. Very yummy, too.

21 Cindy December 10, 2008 at 7:09 pm

This is so inspirational! My sis is a huge chocolate fan, but is dieting, and my typical food-gifts are too much temptation for her. This one will fit the situation, without being too difficult for me to make prettily. I’m excited to try them out!
cynandenanne (at) gmail (dot) com

22 Jen December 10, 2008 at 7:23 pm

This looks similar to an idea I saw about using pretzels, white chocolate and red hots or red m&ms to make little reindeer. Cute!

23 Renee' Simmons December 11, 2008 at 12:54 am

I have made Chocolate covered pretzels for years, as gift pkgs for neighbors, teachers etc. It was easy for my kids when they were young. Now that the kids are adults they ask if I am going to make them, I am like, are you helping??? LOL! Happy Holidays hun!

24 lighttraveler December 11, 2008 at 2:50 am

Oh, they look so yummy! I wish I had one now.(LOL)

Making candy for the holidays is a tradition here.

White covered Pretzels
We take the pretzels and dip them into the bowl of white almond bark, then lay them on wax paper to cool. I wonder how shredded coconut would be on them, might just have to try a couple like that.

Peanut Butter Balls
Another one of our favorites is to take some powdered sugar and mix creamy peanut butter with it until you can roll it into a whole bunch of small balls. Then dip those into some chocolate almond bark and place on some wax paper to cool.

Peanut Clusters
Take a jar of unsalted peanuts and mix the peanuts into a bowl of chocolate almond bark. Spoon out a gob of it on some wax paper and you have some awesome peanut clusters.

Chocolate Covered Wafers
If you take some sugar wafer cookies and cut them in half, they make a nice little square. Now dip them in chocolate almond bark and place them on some wax paper to cool.

I love all of these and so does the rest of the family.

25 Miss Miles December 11, 2008 at 5:01 am

I’d love to have those trests as a gift from someone at school. I get some yummy treats as a teacher, but I would like to try those sometime!!

tams 613 at yahoo dot com

26 Karris December 15, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Another thing I like to do for a little extra touch is to take a different color chocolate, melt it and put it in a decorators bag (disposable ones are awesome). Then I use a tiny opening/cut/tip to lightly drizzle some contrasting stripes! Adds a great effect and looks very professional!

27 Angie December 18, 2008 at 12:18 am

Those look yummy! I have found so many great ideas on blogs for festive treats…I am gonna have a book when I am done copying all of these down!

28 Amber @ Classic Housewife/ Modern World December 19, 2008 at 5:28 am

OH MY GOSH THAT’S TOO EASY! I’m so glad you posted this – thanks!!

29 Sarah December 19, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I’ve never made pretzels like this before. I’ve dipped the pretzel rods. Cute idea. I’ll have to try this way!

bs.webster (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

30 Shannan P December 23, 2008 at 4:57 am

Fabulous idea! I might have to give those a shot next year. They are absolutely adorable!

31 That Girl Who Likes To Go, Go, Go December 31, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I’ve been meaning to do this. Why am I such a lazy bones?