Hummus Whatis? Homemade Roasted Garlic Hummus Recipe

by Robyn Wright on September 19, 2009

in Food

homemade garlic hummus dipJust recently I discovered hummus. While millions and millions of people around the world know about hummus, there seem to be plenty of folks here in the USA that are a little unsure of it. It is a lot better for you than a sour cream or mayo based creamy dip.

Last night I went to a Bunco party and I took homemade roasted garlic hummus and pita chips as a snack to share. It was pretty much all ladies at the party – a little older than me. Some sort of knew what hummus was, some were totally clueless and when they hear hummus they had to have it repeated and then asked what the heck it was, others thought instantly they didn’t like it. I also learned that if someone is thinking about trying it let them do it before you tell them the main ingredient is garbanzo beans also known as chickpeas. Those names apparently strike fear for many for some odd reason. It was nice moving from table to table during Bunco as I got to hear several comments about my dip – all very positive. It was even more interesting that so many were fascinated that I roasted my own garlic LOL.

If you have never tried hummus give it a shot – and try multiple versions of it. There are unlimited variations, some more traditional than others. Just because you don’t like one kind doesn’t mean you won’t like another kind. Yesterday was the first day I made my own (I had been buying different brands at the store) and it is very easy. This was well received last night so I think for most people it would be a hit!

Robyn’s Roasted Garlic Hummus

You can serve this room temperature – but store in fridge. It holds up very well to sitting out on a snack table at parties.

• 1 head of garlic
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas – I prefer organic)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (may need a touch more or less)
  • Juice of 1 large lemon
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh cracked black pepper

Start by roasting the head of garlic. This is super simple to do. Preheat oven to 350° F. Take the head and slice off the top 1/8″ to 1/4″ to expose all the cloves. Drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with a bit of kosher sale and fresh cracked black pepper. Now place the garlic on a square of aluminum foil and loosely pull up the edges to make a little packet – just squish the top together a little. Place the packet directly on the rack in the oven and cook for up to an hour or so. Remove the packet from the oven and carefully open to let cool a bit. Then just hold it upside down and squish the head over a bowl and the roasted cloves will slide right out. (You can use this for so many things)

roasted garlic step 1
roasted garlic step 2
roasted garlic step 3
Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Place into a food processor. Add all of the roasted garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth making sure to scrape down edges occasionally. If it isn’t becoming smooth enough you can add more olive oil to help it along. Taste also to add more salt and pepper as needed. You could of course change the flavorings around and added anything you like to this.

It is a little dull to look at so you might want to garnish with something pretty. Serve with pita chips (or whatever you like). I couldn’t find the serving platter I wanted that was travel safe to take this in – so not the best picture. I sprinkled a little paprika on top just for color also.

homemade garlic hummus

© 2009 – 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Kami September 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Yum! that looks delicious!

2 Mel4Him September 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I actual love Hummus but have never made it myself. It is definitely a great healthy and tasty alternative vs. those other types of snacks. And it really taste good on sandwiches as well.

3 Shooting Stars Mag September 20, 2009 at 1:26 am

That's great you had so many compliments. i've never tried hummus, but i think my mom liked it!

lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

4 Heidi V September 20, 2009 at 3:11 am

I have never tried to make my own either I love sliced green olives in mine so I'm going to give it a try. Thank you so much for the recipe my family loves garlic.

5 Lori September 20, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hummus is what I pack in my kids' lunches when we're on the go. It's nice that they can share with other kids on playdates, since it is really low allergy incident food (beans) and it's so healthy!

I'm making a big batch right now (the garbanzos are soaking) for my daughter to take for preschool snack time tomorrow.

6 Diana H September 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Home made hummus is one of the best things in the world. It is so expensive in the store, but so cheap to make and really delicious.

7 etirv September 20, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Hummus is so healthy and this recipe make it more exciting!

8 etirv September 20, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Hummus is so healthy and this recipe make it more exciting!

9 Julie September 20, 2009 at 11:32 pm

When I tell people that I love eating garbanzo beans, either they say "what's that? or say Oh yuck,how can you? I say, with pleasure :)

aunteegem@yahoo.com

10 brad September 21, 2009 at 2:30 am

The hummus was delicious babe, I like it better with YOUR pita chips though.
Hubby

11 RobynsOnlineWorld September 21, 2009 at 2:40 am

Hubby – I promise I will make homemade pita chips next time. It was just much quicker to buy the bags premade for these events.

12 Tina12312 September 21, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I am one of those people who have never tried hummus and your recipes sounds wonderful; I'll be trying that soon. Thank you!

13 DG September 22, 2009 at 12:42 am

mmm I just really love hummus and crazily enough I'm enjoying some right now (but probably not as delicious as yours!)

dreamzz12{at}aol{dot}com

14 Just a grail September 22, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I LOVE hummus but never made it, that looks easy and yummy!

15 Mari September 23, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I love hummus. I am shocked but my BF who does not like foreign and exotic foods, actually likes it too.

I'll have to try it!

16 Sandy September 25, 2009 at 1:58 am

I made this tonight! LOVE IT! Thanks for the recipe, Robyn!

17 Tammigirl September 26, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I have never tried hummus I actually liked, but my husband and one daughter like it. I will have to make this. I especially like the roasted garlic, though. I'll have to do a few of those.

18 Felicia September 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Oh this sounds so good! I have never actually tried cooking with a garlic clove(I have tried the diced and powder), you made it look so easy! I didn't see you mention this? Do you need to peel the garlic before you roast it? Sorry, I have never worked with one before, LOL. Thanks, I will definitely be trying this!!

19 Kristin September 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I love Hummus but I have no idea why I never thought of roasting the garlic first. I always put it in freashly cut. I also like to put a black olives with it.

20 shannon August 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I love this recipe and the fact that it does not call for Tahinni. I don’t like the taste of it, and I love the idea of the roasted garlic. I have also made hummus using canned navy beans instead of chickpeas, and it is just as good.

21 Robyn Wright September 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I like it without the tahinni also!

22 JoAnna Wahlund March 29, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I made this today and it is delicious! Thank you!