TUTORIAL – Changing your tagging settings on Facebook

by Robyn Wright on November 11, 2011

in Tech

Today during the weekly #VZWBuzz Twitter party I mentioned about changing your tagging settings on Facebook. Several folks had no idea this was even possible so I said I would do a tutorial for everyone. I did a screen capture video to walk you through it. If you have any questions though, just leave a comment and I will try to help more.

The video explains how to go into Facebook and change it so that people cannot just automatically tag you on Facebook in any post or photo that they want. You have the ability to control it before it happens and say yes or no to that tag. The settings also cover letting others tag extra things in your posted items, controlling if others can check you in with Facebook places, and more.

Robyn’s Tutorial

Questions?  Comments?

© 2011 – 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 tannawings November 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Robyn!
Are tags and mentions the same thing? I know entering contests and stuff sometimes they do the @Ellen  Beck to notify me… (not that I win but you never know) does disabling any of the things you mentioned turn that off too or is it just stuff in pics?

2 Robyn's Online World November 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Yes tagging is the same as the mention in text where it actually links to you on Facebook.

3 tannawings November 12, 2011 at 2:01 am

OK, I think I got it (hopefully) Thanks Robyn, you explain things so well you need to just do video after video !!!!

4 Robyn's Online World November 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I’m always open to suggestions on tutorial videos for everyone.

5 Jeannette Laframboise November 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

You are such a clever lady! I also had no idea there was such a setting available to change. Thanks so much for your knowledge and help. Geesh, I have learned so much from you. Everything from cocktail recipes, dinner recipes, awesome reviews and terrific giveaways too. Just LOVE your site!;0)

6 Robyn's Online World November 11, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words Jeannette! I know a lot of blogs focus on one thing, but I just can’t bring myself to do that LOL – I want to share all kinds of stuff J

7 simplydab November 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm

thanks for the tutorial! :)

8 Robyn's Online World November 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

You’re welcome!

9 slehan November 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm

That was very helpful.  Thank you.

10 Robyn's Online World November 20, 2011 at 5:17 pm

You’re welcome!

11 Linda M. Ramos November 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm

very helpful, thank you.. My mom recently tagged me in a pizza picture from a popular gluten free market.  Although I untagged myself.. I got notifications for every single coment for almost two weeks!  sigh.

12 Robyn's Online World November 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Yep, that is so annoying!

13 deadchristmastrees November 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thats very helpful!  Thanks!  I didnt completely understand it but I think I’m going to leave my settings as they are.  I like when a friend tags me!  It means they’re thinking of me or saw something that they thought I would like.  I dont even mind being tagged in a bad picture because EVERYONE has bad pictures!  The only time it becomes annoying is when one of the fb apps auto tags everyone on a person’s friend’s list!

14 Robyn's Online World November 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I’m not usually bothered by the tagging either, with the exception of contests that require you to tag your friends in odd pics (not of people)

15 nik November 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Very helpful. It’s always nice when someone can go through steps like this and explain each in everyday language. Sometimes the original wording of a process or policy is a bit confusing or ambiguous so descriptions by people who have experience with them is great. And it’s also helpful that you remind people to re-check things once in awhile!

16 Robyn's Online World November 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm

My goal is to always try and use everyday language when teaching things J

17 monicazyoung November 20, 2011 at 9:45 am

Thanks so much for the information. I really need to learn more how to control privacy in facebook. It is very important to learn all this things.

18 Robyn's Online World November 20, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I’ll try to do a few more tutorials on the Facebook stuff soon

19 Marge Bowman November 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

That was very informative!! I get so confused with all this kind of stuff!

20 Robyn's Online World November 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Glad it was helpful Marge

21 Dana Valle November 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Thank you for this…my MIL seems to think she can just post any ole picture she wants of anyone in the family….ugggh.

zippieee@msn.com

22 AngelaLilly November 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm

WOW!  I had no idea  you could NOT be tagged!  Thank you!!!!  Will save me some time untagging!  LOL