Moms love the Xbox 360 as much as their kids!

by Robyn Wright on January 18, 2012

in Living,Tech

A guest post today from one of my favorite bloggers, Monica at TheOnlineMom.com. Today she talks about Kinect for the Xbox 360. If you have not seen it in person, try! It is very cool!

Moms love the Xbox 360 as much as their kids!
by TheOnlineMom

Kinectimals on the Xbox 360 with Kinect

Unless you live in a cave, you’ve probably seen quite a few commercials for Kinect for Xbox 360 this holiday season, along with many more ads for games that you must buy for your kids.

If you’re like me, it’s all just a little overwhelming. What is Kinect anyway? What’s all the hype about? How much is this thing going to set me back? And after I drop a few hundred bucks on it, isn’t it just going to turn my kids into little gaming zombies who will never enjoy the great outdoors again?

It makes me want to pretend that all this new technology doesn’t exist and that a deck of cards has the same excitement. Except we all know that will never work. And my “cool mom” status, if I ever achieved it, would receive a serious setback. So I did a little research to help myself – and maybe a few other moms – decide whether or not to take the Xbox leap.

I’ve learned two things in the past few weeks:
1) video games are not what they used to be, and
2) I now want a Kinect as much as my kids do (although I’ll never tell them that)!

The Xbox 360 is unlike any other video game system: It’s not just a gaming console, it’s a complete entertainment hub. And as Microsoft likes to say, with Kinect: “You are the controller.” You just stand up, give the cute little fellow on the screen a wave hello and you’re in the game.

And imagine the possibilities now that you can talk to your TV! I’ve been waiting years for this moment. Now, under the guise of the holidays, I can pretend to be buying this for my kids, who will praise me as the best mom in the world when they open that box!

I also found out that there are actually a lot of great games for Kinect that don’t involve shooting aliens or stealing cars (two things not on the list of priorities to teach my children).

If you have little ones, there’s Once Upon a Monster – a cute Sesame Street adventure – and Kinectimals Now With Bears, which teaches your child to care for a baby cat and bear cubs. If they’re older, they can explore the entire Disneyland park and even hug characters like Mickey inKinect: Disneyland Adventures, or they can burn a few calories withKinect Sports 2.

And if you’re looking for a way to keep your teens under your watch at home without them hating you, may I recommend Dance Central 2, the latest in the series of “go-ahead-and-try-to-dance-like-the-pros-on-the-screen” games. Sure, it’s fun for teens – it’s even more fun when you invite over your least coordinated friends and add a bottle of wine! Plus, I’m hearing rumors about Kinect Star Wars coming next year where you can actually be the Jedi!

And then there’s the fact that this thing has YouTube and Netflix and Facebook and a host of other entertainment options. I could go on and on but that’s for another post. For now, take my word for it – get a Kinect and Xbox 360 while you can steal a holiday bargain, and convince your kids it’s all because you love them that much!

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 terrik January 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm

We’ve got a 360, I think the Kinect looks cool but can’t justify buying one because my son already has a Wii.  I know it’s not the same, but we also have a new PS3 (my son won a contest) so it’s kind of crazy with the gaming around here already.

2 JeannetteNL1966 January 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I have been fighting the fight inside my head for a while about the X-box as I do like that it does not need controllers. I believe there is another few games available with it that are not made for any other systems. My youngest has a Wii but has begged for the X-box quite a lot. Being tight on money, I just couldn’t do it. Not only would it mean a new system but all new games would be required as well. He already has every game for Wii under the sun. In the meantime, I suppose I can always try to win one for him…;-)

3 Shannon S January 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I so agree with this article…I love my xbox with Kinect in fact I am always saying to the kids come on and play..it really is so cool.

4 tannawings January 19, 2012 at 1:02 am

You know like the nit I am I read this as “Moms love the XBox as Much as their kids” and thought… those poor kids! It is truly amazing what tech can do even in as little as 10 years . Yeah yeah back in my day we walked 2 miles uphill in the snow just to slide down a hill once and walked back up and did it again for entertainment :P

5 Cassie January 19, 2012 at 1:52 am

good article. i think i saw there was a biggest loser/jillian michaels game for the kinect as well… that’s what first piqued my interest in it. we’re in the market for a gaming console… so maybe we’ll do this! (dealbunny20@gmail.com)

6 Ravzie January 19, 2012 at 5:55 am

Hopefully, these games will get people up off the couch and moving.  I blame video games and computers as major contributors to childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes!!!  I hope parents will begin to limit the sedentary activities and make kids go out and play.  Maybe that cloying ridiculous commercial Michelle Obama made will help too – sure makes me want to reach for the remote to change the channel, LOL.

7 Ljatwood January 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

We kind of wish we’d gone with XBox instead of Wii. Although we do love the Mario games…but my brother has an xbox and the kinect is so cool. The kids love playing with it when we visit. I like the idea of doing the physical games without having to hold the remote like we do with the Wii, too.

8 Eileen Richter January 20, 2012 at 4:39 am

WOW, that is supercool! We don’t have this system but have heard a lot about it. I know my girls would love the Dance program. My son and husband do play the killing junk and am sick of it. I cant figure out what the draw is but then I cant figure out why guys like to watch war movies either.   so you mean you can get on Facebook and Youtube on this unit? that would be so cool to do on TV. I am sure other things do the same but I am WAY behind technologically.

thanks
ejrichter60 at gmail dot com

9 nik January 21, 2012 at 3:52 am

I must admit when our nieces and nephews got one for Christmas I was kinda secretly wanting to tuck it under my arm and sneak it home…it was so fun to play with! The kids of course are addicted to it so I see they too inherited the geek genes in our family.  ;)

10 deadchristmastrees January 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I have only seen the commercials but I REALLY want one!  sigh