Soup may help you lose fat

by Robyn Wright on January 3, 2012

in Food

SoupSoups are one of my favorite foods – I eat them year round no matter what the weather. In the winter though I eat more because it is so nice to warm up with a bowl of hearty soup. Today I was reading the Dole Nutrition Institute January E-newsletter and the Soup Paradox story jumped out at me – this part in particular:

Surprising research from the University of Texas found that when calories were held equal, fat trumped protein as the “less fattening” soup component, insofar as dieters ate less later on. The study involved 12 lean and 12 obese subjects who were served two different kinds of soup on different occasions. All the soup servings had 160 calories — but one (chicken broth and veggies) had significant fat, while the other (egg drop soup) had mostly protein. Afterwards, all volunteers were given access to an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. The higher protein soup group ended up consuming 20% more calories than the higher fat soup group. That said, opt for healthy fat sources — olive oil, nuts, avocado (think stress-relieving gazpacho) — over those high in saturated fat, since the latter may increase your risk for cardiovascular disease.

I love this! Now if I could only find out that the crackers I eat with many soups are good for me too! Ha – that is doubtful, but I’m working on that.

My favorite homemade soup is Beefy Barley and Mushroom Soup, at Joe’s Crab Shack I love their clam chowder, Bricktops has fabulous lobster bisque, favorite canned soup is Campbell’s Chicken & Stars, Panera Bread Co has great French onion soup – those are just a few of mine.

What are your favorite soups?

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Rachelradiostar January 3, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You do need fat for that satisfaction, mouth feel and hunger satiated as this study shows it doesn’t have to be a calorifically high fat to work. I make tons of soup and the ones where you start with onions gently fried ALWAYS taste better than the straight into stock ones ( which I make mostly because I try to be super healthy – now I think I’ll try the little fat version ) x

2 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I am a firm believer in always sautéing the onions J

3 Marjorie Mora January 4, 2012 at 1:27 am

All these soups are making me hungry. lol They all sound yummy!! *+* Ty

4 Ljatwood January 3, 2012 at 2:03 pm

My all-time favorite soup is tomato soup. I love it with some Club crackers crushed up in it. :)   I also love the chicken gnocchi soup from Olive Garden. I found a copykat recipe for it and have made it for my family a couple of times…we love it!

5 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Ohhh I forgot about tomato soup! The London Tea Room here in St. Louis has amazing tomato soup. And of course, can’t forget the grilled cheese to go with that!

6 Caren Libby January 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

The beef barley recipe sounds delicious especially this time of year. My favorite winter soup is chicken with brown rice and veggies…another healthy treat.

7 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I don’t think I have had brown rice in soup before. Wild rice yes, but not brown. Do you make homemade?

8 Joyce McDaniel January 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Robyn
Caren is right, brown rice with chicken is great and healthy.

9 Caren Libby January 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

Yes, the soup is homemade. I love the flavor and consistency of brown rice (the wild is good too).

10 nik January 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Definitely agree with you on Barley and Mushroom (vegan version), along with Barley and Lentil or Veggie and Lentil. All totally filling and super healthy! As far as crackers go, you might try Wasa Crisp’n Light Crackerbread or Finn Crisp Plus 5 Wholegrains Thin Crispbread. Both are made with lots of different very healthy whole grains and taste really good, especially with soup (or peanut butter).  :)

11 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I’ve tried several cracker alternatives, but they just are such a different texture than the saltines.

12 Joyce McDaniel January 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm

This is very interesting to know since I love soups and could eat year around.  Now about those crackers.  I switched to oyster crackers I found that I use less than the square crackers.  I can eat meat with or without soup.  Good thing I am not picky because vegan would be fine with me. Forgot to tell you that home made vegatable soup and lentil soup is my all time favorite.

13 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I will have to give the oyster crackers a try to see if that works for me too.

14 JeannetteNL1966 January 3, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I am a huge soup lover just like you and most of the time I would rather have soup that just about anything else…and in fact I do;-) Good to know there is some good news to go along with it too. This time of year I eat even more soup than usual so the pounds should just melt off, well…if I cut out the chocolate as a treat afterward.

15 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Sounds like you and I have the same path LOL

16 terrik January 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love homemade vegetable barley soup, and the new immersion blender I got makes it so much easier!  Now I can throw a bunch of veggies in a crock pot & let them cook, use the hand blender about 10-15 seconds and I’m done.  It tastes like I slaved over it, takes very little time and is not loaded with sodium and BPA.

When the weather turns cold, soup helps me warm up.  Soup is more filling to me than something like a sandwich, but I really like the crunch of crackers to go with it.

17 Robyn's Online World January 3, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Any certain combo of veggies you use? What else do you add?

18 terrik January 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I use a mix of fresh and frozen veggies.  Tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, squash, zucchini, spinach, fennel, green beans…several different colors of bell peppers.  Sometimes I use pearl onions, parsnips.  I don’t like corn in my vegetable soup, that’s a pet peeve, and it has to do with the consistency, not the taste.

19 Angie Marion January 4, 2012 at 1:50 am

I love soup also, and I gotta tell you – it has been VERY helpful in my weight loss journey over the last year. My favorite is Italian Wedding Soup. YUM!

20 Robyn's Online World January 4, 2012 at 7:21 am

Does Italian Wedding Soup have greens in it? That is one thing I do not like in soup – any kid of green leafy vegetable.

21 Karen Goodman January 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

I need to start eating more soup again, and it makes total sense that if you start with soup (any soup), you’ll eat less after. I don’t put crackers in my soups at all…I did when I was a kid but I’ve just dropped that habit completely since I only eat soup that I just love.

I recently discovered a soup that I think would be up Brad’s alley…Beer Soup!
Here’s the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-soup-405862

22 Robyn's Online World January 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Ohh that beer soup sounds yummy! Speaking of beer, I need that beer bread recipe you mentioned on NYE too!

23 Karen Goodman January 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Oh yes. I’ve been thinking about making some beer bread again soon. It’s actually a great hearty bread that would be perfect with soup. It tastes good warm or cold, but slices much easier when it has cooled off.

Here you go:http://www.food.com/recipe/poppy-seed-beer-bread-208324

24 Robyn's Online World January 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Karen! Maybe I will make the beer soup and the beer bread for dinner one night J

25 tmy56 January 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I have tried a couple lentil recipes recently – I never ate them or cooked with them before & we really like them.

26 Eileen January 7, 2012 at 3:33 am

MMMmmm…Panera!  I have always loved soups and tried a lot of different kinds a few years back when trying to detox. I SO believe that the fats do help you keep satisfied. I know I for one don’t eat enough of good fats and then feel starved, and overeat. Too many years in the 80’s and 90’s and brainwashed into thinking it is SO bad for you…low fat EVERYTHING out there for decades and now LOOK at us as a whole. I am thinking Paula Deen has it right. BUTTER. tons of butter. (just kidding, I know all  in moderation…LOL). I like Cambells Chicken and Stars too ,, but never crackers. I hate the mush they make.

ejrichter60 at gmail dot com

27 Robyn's Online World January 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm

See, that’s what I love about the crackers – the mush!

Do you like avacados? They are a good fat, very yummy!