Toys for Valentine’s Day from TimeToPlayMag.com

by Robyn Wright on January 20, 2012

My favorite toy gang at TimeToPlayMag.com has come up with a list of some toy ideas for Valentine’s Day – I would rather give the kids toys than candy. Although, as Jim mentions, it is hard to find things for the boys sometimes this time of year.

domo nerd with heart glassesWe’ve picked out some of our favorite Valentine’s Day toys for you in case you want to celebrate with your kids going this route. You will also notice, as I have, people generally don’t buy Valentine’s Day gifts for boys (outside of candy), nor is there really a choice. I can’t explain it except that’s the culture we live in.

See Jim’s full picks over at TimetoPlayMag.com.

Do you buy gifts for Valentine’s Day for your kids?

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 tannawings January 21, 2012 at 12:25 am

Nope never did buy Valentines toys or anything… they have so much more now every holiday is going completely commercial.

2 nik January 21, 2012 at 5:25 am

ohgoodgolly no. Kids are already being conditioned to expect a gift or prize or award every time they turn around or a calendar page is turned. How they develop a realistic work ethic or a healthy sense of self-worth just for being is a mystery to me.
How about a hug and just spending time together, maybe working on fun craft/DIY projects? Sit back and knit pink hats together. Build a birdhouse together and paint it red. Or, okay, if it has to be a giving day, then do organic, fair trade flowers, or a plantable card like one of these…
and maybe heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast.  :)

3 deadchristmastrees January 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

i want to learn how to make heart shaped pancakes!

4 deadchristmastrees January 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm

thats a really cute monster thing!  I dont have kids but I can tell you that I would rather get a stuffed animal than flowers or candy.  I like stuff thats a little less ordinary.  Last year my boyfriend was out of country in an area that doesnt have great access to phones or internet.  Despite this he managed to get me a Vermont Teddy Bear with a little heart tattoo on its arm that says my name in it!  I love the thing!  Why better than flowers that will die in a week.

5 Shannon S January 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I love this article and Jim at Time to Play Magazine.  I love this idea, as a mom with 3 boys this time of year it is really hard to buy something for them…so these ideas were great.  I love the toy…oh and yes I do buy them gifts for Valentine’s Day..and they will be off this list…Thanks

6 Robyn's Online World January 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

So glad you found it helpful Shannon!

7 simplydab January 21, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I used to get my son a toy in his Easter basket to cut down on the candy, so I can see doing something similar for Valentine’s Day.