Are your children’s IDs safe?

by Robyn Wright on February 10, 2012

child ID theftIdentity theft is a hot topic of discussion these days. We are warned about our online banking and shopping habits, to shred or burn documents with our personal information on it, and to overall be more aware of what is out there. However, did you know that thieves target children’s identity? I had never even thought about this aspect until I had a chance to speak to kID Sure about Child ID Theft.

Think about all the places we are asked to give our child’s social security number – doctor, school, camp, sports, dance class, and more. Honestly, most of these places do not really need a social security number, but this was done for ease since everyone has one. Before giving it – ask why they need it. If it is strictly for an “account number” on their end, tell them no and they can make another number of some other type for them. For the place you do give the social security number think of who has access to that information. How well do you know those people, what kind of background checks have been done on them? We have all heard of stories where regular people are in charge of kids group or organizations that embezzle the money from accounts, what’s to keep those types of people from selling our child’s information also? I do not want to be paranoid about all of this. However, I do want to be more informed. Like I said, it had never even dawned on me before that I needed to be worried about identity theft for my son.

kIDSure AmbassadorMy next step was to sign up Identity Guard for me and add the kID Sure protection for my son also. It was quick and easy to do. I actually found a couple of mistakes with my identity that I need to get addressed ASAP. The better news is that Taylor’s report came back with no issues! Happy dance! kID Sure scans for SSN Exposure, Criminal Records, DMV Records and Utilities Records. I was really surprised to hear that thieves target kids IDs for things like utilities, cell phones, and housing – who knew? Luckily Taylor’s ID is currently safe.

What are you doing to protect your child’s identity? Have you ever seen if anything is already attached to their social security number?

Disclosure: This service was provided to me for review at no charge. In addition I received monetary compensation. All opinions are my own.

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 JeannetteNL1966 February 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm

That is really scary stuff-it is bad enough when you speak of identity theft in general but when it involves putting a child at risk it is much worse and makes my stomach flip. What happened along the way that this sort of thing became such a problem? Then again, just as with most things, there are good people and then there are those low life sorts that care about nothing but themselves. I am not sure this program is for Canada and I am off to check it out. If not, there is likely another one for this side of the border. I will pass it on though to all of my American friends. Thanks!

2 Ape2016 February 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I just read about some criminal online that would use kids SSN’s to get jobs and credit.   I also had to deal with this when my son was a baby because I started getting cell phone bills for him.  This was in 2003 (I had never even had a cell phone at this time) and I had to go through all this rigamerol to get it straightened out.

3 Cassie February 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

wow very interesting. I’ve never thought about it, but now that i do, it makes perfect sense that criminal would target children’s ss#’s. how else would you get the alert that their ss# has been misused until they’re old enough to get checking accounts, etc? Doesn’t seem like you would find out unless you subscribed to something like this service (dealbunny20@gmail.com)

4 Shannon S February 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

wow never heard of this service..this too has been troubling me, how would you find out if someone had stolen their identity..it would take years..I will be checking this out. thanks

5 nik February 11, 2012 at 8:57 am

Thanks for the information and links…sounds like it is really useful. There’s also a great page on child identity theft at the non-profit Identity Theft Resource Center’s website
It never hurts to be prepared with all the resources and safeguards you can get.  :)

6 ravzie February 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

Sometimes I feel so unsafe, not just online, but even at home or going out to the store.  I’ve had my house robbed and ID theft in the past couple of years.  I feel at any moment someone will put a gun in my face!  Maybe I should stop watching the news, as that sure doesn’t help.  Some man tried to grab a kid at WalMart the other day!  Technology helps and hurts us both!!!

7 Nightowlmama February 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm

so important to have your personal information secure. it’s such a headache to have to sort out if you find something that is not yours

8 simplydab February 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I used to pull my son’s credit report every year for this very reason. It’s too easy for people to compromise their ID and ruin their credit before they’re even old enough to have credit!

9 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2012 at 12:15 am

The problem is that crooks know to use kids ids for the things like utilities, housing, jobs etc that do NOT show on credit reports

10 simplydab February 12, 2012 at 12:19 am

True, but the inquiries do (along with the contact information of who placed the inquiry). So you can still see if their information has been compromised and for what purpose.

11 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2012 at 12:41 am

Yes IF they even inquire. Some don’t even do that

12 tmy56 February 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you for this information. We have a family member going through some difficulties and I wouldn’t put it past this person to try to use her children’s information for her own benefit. I will share the Identity Guard information with their father.

13 Judy B February 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

I remember my daughter getting pre approved credit card applications at the age of 11 or 12. I think some of these companies play pretty fast and loose. I just have a problem with all of the responsibility we have for this when we have no control without buying another insurance. Of course, I really don’t worry much because absolutely no one would want my credit. lol

14 Cpsnsamples February 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I always hear of stolen identities..and i have often thought about kids identities being stolen..but it didnt really hit home until  a lady showed up at my door about a month ago..saying they were doing surveys about health…..wanting my teenagers to take a survey which they would be paid $30 for……….my kids were asleep…..so she left…came back another day…no one home but my hub…he told her we wasnt interested…well……..wks pasted and she showed up at my door again on friday..when my 19 yr old was home……he called me as i was out of town..and i sent the sheriff to my house but she had already left…………..makes me wonder..what she was up too……..if she was legit……or trying to pull a quick one..

cpsnsamples@aol.com