Corn and Cheese Chowder

by Robyn Wright on February 13, 2012

in Food

Corn and Cheese ChowderIt is a cold and wintery day here in St. Louis today. I ran to the grocery store this morning before it got slick and decided that soup would be a good meal this evening. Over the weekend I watched The Pioneer Woman on TV – it’s a good show – and she mad this Corn and Cheese Chowder. This was very quick and easy to make a delicious! This is her recipe but with a few of my changes to it – get her full original recipe on her site.

Corn & Cheese Chowder

Original recipe by The Pioneer Woman
– this version adapted by Robyn Wright VineSweet Mini Peppers

• 1/2 stick butter
  • 6 thin slices pancetta, cut into pieces
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 pint VineSweet Mini Peppers, finely chopped
    (I spotted these at the store today and they were a better value than buying red/orange/yellow bell peppers – they ended up being perfect in the soup – their site) Making Corn & Cheese Chowder
  • 16 oz bag frozen corn
  • 1/4 flour
  • 1 Knorr Chicken Homestyle Stock
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cups Half & Half
  • 1 cup freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup freshly grated Pepper Jack cheese
    (grating the cheese yourself takes a minute, but it will melt SO much better and taste better than pre-shredded Making Corn & Cheese Chowdercheese, I promise)
  • Freshly cracked black pepper – to taste

Directions:

Melt butter in large soup pot. Add pancetta and cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes, until soft. Now add the chopped peppers and corn and cook another 4 – 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir in, let cook for 1 minute. Add 1 Knorr Stock packet and the water – I do not premix it, it works fine just throwing it in the pot. Bring this to a boil so it can thicken and stir often for a few Making Corn & Cheese Chowderminutes. Now reduce the heat to low and add the half & half. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now stir in the cheese – it should melt easily. Stir in a figure-8 pattern for best results. Once the cheese is melted taste for seasoning, add a little freshly cracked black pepper as needed. You should not need salt because the chicken stock has it already. Enjoy!

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Linnsue February 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I like her show She has some good recipes. That looks good Robyn !!

2 Robyn's Online World February 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Yes, this week I skipped over the chocolate recipes since that’s not my thing, but the chowder part I’m glad I watched!

3 yonawilliams February 13, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Oh wow…I could sure go for some of this right now! yum!

4 Robyn's Online World February 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm

There’s a little left in the fridge, help yourself!

5 tannawings February 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

This does look really good. Its one of those meals to have on a snowy day!!

6 Cassie February 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Oh this looks amazing!! It’s rainy/snowy/nasty in Illinois too! I’m ready for it to be over… but I guess we were spoiled with too warm of a “winter” up until now (dealbunny20@gmail.com)

7 JeannetteNL1966 February 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

OH MY  that looks and sounds so GOOD! We are all sick as dogs here with no appetite but this is making my stomach rumble. As soon as I perk up a touch I will definitely be trying this recipe out! Thanks for posting! :-)

8 simplydab February 13, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I make something similar but I use potatoes in mine (and less cheese). For me, I think the cheese base would be too rich (not to mention fattening). Thanks for the idea though, I might try it since it’s lower carb which would fit better with my new diet.

9 Ape2016 February 14, 2012 at 6:49 am

This sounds delicious.  I love cheesy/creamy chowders.  My daughter came up with a chicken, vegetables and cheese chowder when she was 9 and it was the first time any of us had ever had anything like it.  Needless to say, it is now a family favorite and no matter how big the pot is there are never leftovers after the first day!  Thanks for the recipe.

10 Nadine L February 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

You always have the best recipes. Here’s another I will be trying. Love Chowder of any kind, this one looks great

11 nik February 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm

A thick and hearty veggie-filled soup would be perfect just about now! I do like how she served it, in a hollowed out round bread. I’ve yet to try that but oh it would be so good!

12 Judy B February 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

I like the pepper jack cheese in this recipe. I bet it really spiced it up.

13 Emmy Coffee February 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

oh my goodness this looks DELECTABLE!

14 MrsStrick November 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Pinned – can’t wait to try this!

15 ImASassyBlonde November 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Definitely going to try this over the weekend! Thanks for the twitter share!