Use a Frisbee for Messy Dogs Drinking Water

by Robyn Wright on May 30, 2012

Macy the Pug drinking from water bowl in Frisbee

Macy drinking from her water bowl in an upside down Frisbee to make less mess

At my parents house the other day I noticed Macy, my brother’s Pug who was also visiting), drinking from her water bowl but that it was in a Frisbee. I asked Mom why. She said Macy is a very messy dog when it comes to drinking water and she gets it all over the floor. For a solution she took a standard Frisbee and turned it upside down and then set the water bowl inside. Now as Macy slurps her water all over the sides of the water bowl it now falls into the “moat” created by the Frisbee instead of getting the floors all wet! Very clever!

Do you have any messy pet tricks to share?

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 tannawings May 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I use ice cubes for our dog- he can drink as they melt and he loves the cold water especially in the summer- plus ice cubes don’t get too messy!

2 nickie burke May 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Ice cubes are a great addition and the frisbee is a wonderful idea.

3 angelgenius27 May 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm

That is smart!

4 Wanda McHenry May 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Your mom always has great ideas for everyday things! She’s a genius!

5 fatmeatloaf1 May 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Brilliant idea!
I buy cheap baby wipes and give my dogs a quick once over every now and then between baths so they don’t get dirt and dust everywhere, especially after rolling in the spring grass.

6 Ravzie May 31, 2012 at 4:27 am

I have a messy pup too!  This looks like a good idea to help reduce my mess load just a bit.  Thanks.

7 4hatsandfrugal June 7, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Love that idea! We are cat people here, but sometimes our cat tips his bowl a bit, spilling water on the floor. This would be a great solution.

8 pfisterfarm June 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Pretty clever solution. I’ll have to try this with my dog…. she’s definitely a messy dog!

9 Lee Taylor July 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

Great idea! We have 2 wirehaired Dachshunds – who at times, can be a bit messy when eating/drinking! I’ll have to give this idea a try with them!  Thanks for sharing!

10 Sammyo62 July 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Good idea. I use offcut pieces of carpet but they always get soaked so I tried waterproof shower mats which are easily washed but this idea seems so much easier. Theres a cool spill free bowl on amazon though, it has like a lip so if it tips up its stopped from leaking. Havent tried it but would be good for car journeys I guess.

11 Guest July 3, 2012 at 10:37 pm

What a great idea. This is fantastic. I have a very messy dog when he is drinking water and this would be perfect. Thanksso much for sharing such a great idea.

12 Emma Demma September 4, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Get a bigger bowl! You don’t have to use a frisbee. Just get a bigger bowl!