You would not believe how often I hear something like that. I also get a lot of folks asking me if I can get them a free phone or a good deal on one since people know I work with brands. I wish I had the power to hand out a new smartphone to everyone who has lost, damaged, or hand their phone swiped, but I cannot sadly.
Here at our house we all have smartphones. Guess who has the most trouble with damaging them? Me…..no. Taylor my teenage son……no. Hubby…..YES! Geez he is tough on phones and goes through more than anyone in our family for sure! Water is his biggest enemy.
Hubby had his smartphone in his short pockets while working out in the yard. He had his headphones on and was listening to music with it. This was a super hot day and apparently Hubby was sweating….a lot. When he came back inside he realized his phone was not working – the reason was that he sweat so much that it got into the phone and ruined it. No insurance, had to buy a new phone.
Hubby again had his smartphone in his pocket, this time at work. He is an auto technician and is bending over, leaning, crouching, stretching, etc. all day long. This time he banged up against something and shattered the front of the phone. Ugh. No insurance, had to buy a new phone.
The latest loss was water related again. This time he was out on the boat fishing with my brother and they got caught in a sudden storm where it rained BUCKETS within minutes. Bass boats do not have covers on them – they were trying to get in off the lake, but I know the last thing Hubby had on his mind was his phone. It was in his shirt pocket this time and was soaked. Ironically I had been trying to text him that the storm was popping up over the lake but he did not get the message for whatever reason. Guess what? No insurance, had to buy a new phone.
Do we see a pattern here? Yes we do! Hubby needs to get insurance now on his phones. Asurion has created a site full of stories – some of them really crack me up – about phone mishaps. Make sure you stop by GottaHaveMyMobile to read them. Check with your cellular provider to find out if they offer Asurion protection for your mobile also! A few stats and facts from Asurion…
- 60,000,000 people in North America will lose, damage, or have their phone stolen this year. That is over 164,000 per day or 114 every minute, or nearly 2 every second!
- People do not understand that if your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged and without insurance, you’ll have to pay full retail price to replace that phone.
- Nearly 30% of children under 17 at home who have a phone require a replacement in a year due to loss, theft, damage, or malfunction.
- You can purchase insurance from your wireless carrier when buying your phone or within 30 days of activation.
The Giveaway: One lucky reader will win a $40 Amazon Gift Card!
Required Entry: Leave a comment below telling me how you (or someone you know) damaged/lost their smartphone.
Winners notified by mail only, so make sure I have a way of accessing your email address when you comment.
Extra Entries: The following are all extra things you can do for more entries. Leave an additional comment for each thing you do to earn extra entries.
- Subscribe my feed via email and then leave a comment letting me know you have done so. If you are already a subscriber, let me know that in the comment instead. Subscribe to Robyn’s Online World
- Follow @RobynsWorld on Twitter and send a tweet about the giveaway. You can do this one time per day. Leave a direct link to your tweet (instructions here) in your comment for an extra entry for each tweet. Just click the Tweet button (or make your own)
Rules: Only one of each entry method listed per person/family/household. No entering on behalf of others, using extra identities or others identities, no automated program entries, etc. If I catch you cheating you will be banned from this and all of my future giveaways! This giveaway is only open to those in the USA, ages 18+. All entries must be received by 11:59 pm Central Time on Monday, August 6, 2012. I will pick a winner and email them and they have 48 hours to claim the prize. If no response, I will pick a new winner. Good luck!
© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.