I Saw the Avenue Q Show in NYC

by Robyn Wright on September 3, 2012

avenue q logoWhen I found out that BlogHer ‘12 was going to be in New York City again I instantly knew that I would stay an extra day so I could fit in going to a show while I was in the city. Then wonderfully MamaDrama contacted me on Twitter asking if I would like to attend a show. YES! Of course!

I was thrilled that she had tickets to see Avenue Q on Sunday afternoon. This was perfect timing since Sunday morning was my last business event of the trip. I invited my wonderful friend Jackie aka NerdMom to join me at the show and for dinner afterwards. It happened to be restaurant week in NYC also so there were good deals to be found. I let Jackie pick because she eats gluten free and I knew that she would probably have to make sacrifices in meals all week long. She picked Firebird, a Russian place, and we had a fabulous meal. Jenn Hethcoat aka SuperJenn joined us for dinner also. You can see my food photos on Foodspotting. Such a wonderful relaxing meal with wonderful women!

The show, Avenue Q, was hilarious! I laughed and laughed and laughed. It is not for everyone – there is some full puppet nudity (I’m not kidding) and they talk about all sorts of adult things. If you do not mind this though it is a must see show. The set looks quite a bit like the neighborhood on Sesame Street so if you are a child of the 70’s you will make that connection. What is really unique is that the main characters are mostly puppets, but the puppeteers are right on stage with them and you see them the entire time. It does take a bit to get used to that, but after a while I found that I really was watching the puppets more than the people operating them. There are a few human characters as part of the show as well. Like I said, it was really a unique way to put on a show and they did a fabulous job with it. I would highly recommend the show plus you get to find out why the internet was really invented! Follow @AvenueQmusical on Twitter and like Avenue Q on Facebook.

I would also add that this show was at an off Broadway location, New World Stages, and I was tremendously impressed with the venue. It was very clean, the temperature was nice and cool (it was hot while I was in NYC), and the staff were phenomenal! I do not recall ever being at any venue for a show where ever worker was so kind and helpful and polite. When I go back to NYC I will look to see what shows are playing their first before I look at any other venues from now on.

MamaDrama Logo Small

As I mentioned, my tickets to the show were provided by MamaDrama. They work to increase awareness of cultural activities in the parenting community. I love that! Honestly, I wish I lived in NYC so I could work with them on other campaigns. Maybe they will branch out and come to St. Louis too? I truly appreciate them reaching out to me and giving me the chance to enjoy a wonderful show while I was in town! You can learn more on their website, follow @MamaDramaNY on Twitter, and like the MamaDrama page on Facebook.

Have you seen a show on (or off) Broadway in New York City ever? What about in your own city? I would love to know which ones you love!

Disclosure: As mentioned, the tickets for the Avenue Q show were provided to me by MamaDrama. The opinions are completely my own. #BlogHerBway

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Round Rock Gal September 3, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I saw Avenue Q the year after it won the Tony for Best Musical. You are right, it is hilarious AND crude, and terribly creative. For those not easily offended it was worth the price of admission.

2 TheAngelForever September 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Avenue Q looks amazing and one that TechyDad and I have talked about for a while. I am hoping to get to see Peter and the Starcatchers on Broadway one day. After one of the authors of the book it is based on, I am even more excited. Never have seen a play in NYC yet, but many travel to our area. I have seen Seussical the Musical, Cats, A Chorus Line, and others. Several big shows are coming here and I would love to see Mary Poppins and/or Wicked.

3 @rkosully September 4, 2012 at 4:32 am

How exciting that you got to see the show! Full puppet nudity actually sounds quite amusing. The only Broadway show I’ve seen was ‘Black and Blue,’ back when I was in high school and took a trip to NYC.

4 nanlara September 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

love broadway, although the last show i saw there was rent..a long time ago

5 terrik September 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I would probably enjoy the experience of any broadway play, or off-broadway, whatever.

6 Tiffany Winner September 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm

puppet nudity? strange :S I do love a good live performance though thismomwins@gmail.com

7 Auriette September 4, 2012 at 10:14 pm

My first Broadway experience was “Phantom of the Opera”, when it was still fairly new, and I was in the nosebleed seats. I was only supposed to be in NYC for one day, passing through, and I stayed at the Marriott Marquis, which was way more than I was supposed to spend, but I got there late in the day, all the traffic was going in the opposite direction to the way I wanted to go, and I was desperate to get settled and get to the show. Yes, I should have made reservations for the hotel as well as the show. But I did get settled, in a luxurious room, and I made my way to the Majestic Theatre. I had a little time to spare, so as I wandered around, I noticed a marquee that made my heart stop. “Mandy Patinkin: In Concert – Held Over.” I loved Mandy in “The Princess Bride” and I’d heard about his one-man (and his pianist) musical revue on “Entertainment Tonight” but it was supposed to have closed by the time I was in New York. I walked over to the box office, positive that they were sold out, but I had to ask. To my surprise, I was able to buy a ticket for the next night! Of course, that meant that I had to spend another night in the Big Apple. So, I started looking around for a cheaper place. And I found one, not too far from Times Square. Why wasn’t this place listed in the AAA guidebook? Well, remember that place that Tom Hanks stayed in “Big” – it was like that. No gunshots, but the sheets were stained and the bathroom was down the hall. I had a beach towel with me, and I kind of huddled on that to sleep. It was worth it, though. The fear in the hotel, the overspending on my credit card, the interest that I paid for years to come. Mandy was amazing. And the whole thing has become a treasured memory of my first trip to New York.

8 Rose September 5, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Joie (Winter Witch) demanded that I see a Broadway Show while we were in NYC, also for BlogHer’12, we were given tickets through PR, her doing so I’m not sure who to mention or thank right now. We saw “End of the Rainbow”, I couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed a Broadway Show! Me, the “redneck” that wanted to pack a fishing pole. ;) I of course kept my ticket and playbill to scrapbook. Joie got to poke me with an “I told you so!” What an amazing time.

9 Ravzie September 6, 2012 at 4:55 am

My first was Cats in NYC. I thought it was awesome! I’ve also seen Phantom on Broadway, as well as a smaller show with a name that escapes me. David Schwimmer was in it. I’d love to see the Lion King. Ave Q looks fun. I really enjoy the plays.

10 Shannon Whitfield September 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

Avenue Q was so hilarious!! I laughed my head off! My first experience was Les Mis and Sunset Boulevard in London in my 20’s. After that, we took yearly trips to NY to see shows (and we had to see Les Mis a few more times, of course!) Among my favs were: Phantom, Amphigorey, and Rent. We saw Rent 7 times, I was so obsessed! :)