Happy 50th Anniversary to The Jetsons

by Robyn Wright on September 23, 2012

in Tech

The Jetsons

Do you remember The Jetsons? This is one of my favorite cartoons. Today is the 50th anniversary of the show which debuted on ABC September 23, 1962. It happened to also be the first show broadcast in color on ABC. The space age show was set in the year 2062. Do you think we will have a world like the Jetsons in just another 50 years? That would be in my lifetime (hopefully) and I would love it!

Rosie the Robot is a favorite of mine from The Jetsons. Can you imagine having a robot like that to work around the house? I sure can, it would be heaven! Interestingly, Rosie is 45 years old which means she is a 2017 model robot – that is just 5 years from now! Sweet!

The Jetsons - George Jetson, Jane Jetson, Judy Jetson, Elroy Jetson, Rosie the Robot For me the memories of The Jetsons is really about the gadgets and lifestyle they live more than the story lines. I only remember bits and pieces of a few story lines as I sit here and try to think about it. What stands out are the little bytes (pun intended) of technology. The machine that they went thru in the morning to shower and get dressed, the sound of their flying cars, the dog walk, the elevators into their apartment, the people movers everywhere (yes I love them at the airports already), the self-folding bed, and let us not forget how easily Jane was able to cook dinner with just a push of a button and in second the meal would appear. While I enjoy cooking often, for those days when no one wants to cook that would be awesome!

Did you grow up watching The Jetsons? Or do you still watch it now (it is on Cartoon Network and Boomerang and on DVD)? What is your favorite memory of The Jetsons?

Photos via Wikipedia.

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Robin September 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

I did watch the Jetsons a lot when I was growing up. I just saw that The Jetsons: The Complete First Season is available on dvd now. That would be fun to own and watch! http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D71462

2 Rose September 23, 2012 at 11:23 am

As a younger me I really wanted Rosie the Robot and a s grown up me … I still want me a Rosie the Robot!
I always wanted to know how their stop light “systems” stayed where they were supposed to be. :)
When my great nieces and nephews are over we always try to find cartoons on that are “classics” such as The Jetsons, Looney Toons, Tom & Jerry, etc,…

3 Robyn's Online World September 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm

LOL – I did not understand their driving and roads either.

4 Rose September 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Can you imagine our traffic lights just hanging in the air?
Wait … I saw something similar to this, when I had to drive IN St.Louis. ;)

5 Tiffany Winner September 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

i used to watch it but it wasnt one of my favorites thismomwins@gmail.com

6 terrik September 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I grew up watching the Jetsons and started my son watching them years ago, so I got to watch and enjoy them all over again. It’s a good, clean, family cartoon.

7 Robyn's Online World September 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Agreed! Some of the new cartoons I really wonder about!

8 Mia Dentice September 23, 2012 at 7:04 pm

LOVED the Jetsons…still waiting for the Jetson cars to come out and ALWAYS felt that the Jetson phones could have come out SOONER (aka-webcam) especially when I was growing up in Florida and my gram lived in Pittsburgh & I longed to be with & see my gram….FUN FACT CMU students in the Robotics area named their robot used to go into dangerous places/help clean up after radioactive spills- ROSIE after the Jetson’s character.

9 Robyn's Online World September 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Very cool fun fact!!!

10 write4fun September 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I loved that show! I think I had one of those draw-on erasable slates with the Jetsons on it and at least one coloring book…. It always reminded me a bit of the Flintstones, except set in the future instead of the past…

11 Rosey September 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Hear, hear, I loved the Jetsons!

12 Nancy Lara September 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

i always watched the jetsons…i can’t believe they are 50!

13 Kari September 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I totally loved The Jetsons…was one of my very favorites when I was young. They just don’t make cartoons like they used to, LOL!

14 Kitty September 24, 2012 at 2:49 am

Loved the Jetsons – the original TV cartoon series from 1962! 50 years? That’s impossible! I’m still waiting for some of those automated kitchen appliances and the self cleaning house.

15 Robyn's Online World September 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I always loved any of the cartoons that showed the “homes of the future”.

16 Ravzoe September 24, 2012 at 6:18 am

Loved the Jetsons! I wanted to be Judy!!!

17 Linda M. Ramos September 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I loved the Jetson’s growing up. We do not have cable tv but I was able to introduce my daughter to the Jetson’s through Youtube.

18 Thomas Murphy September 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love the Jetsons, great show! I still watch is sometimes on cartoon network.
rounder9834 @yahoo.com

19 Shannon Whitfield September 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Rosie was the best part, always my favorite..and now I have a daughter who is obsessed with robots – SWEET!

20 GlArthy September 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I don’t know this show. My first take was The Flintstones? From the above shot their similarities in looks are close.

21 Robyn's Online World September 26, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Both shows, The Flintstones and The Jetsons were created by Hanna-Barbera which
is why you probably notice a similarity. The Flintstones began in 1960. They actually made a movie several years ago with both families together!

22 Jimmy October 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I did watch the Jetsons. My favorite character was Rosie

23 Starla Mint October 19, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I LOVED The Jetsons. I remember watching them in the mornings at my Grandparents’ house right before Little House on the Prairie (and I LOATHED Little House) so I savored every minute of The Jetsons. I loved the sound effects and my favorite part in the theme song was always “Their dog, Elroy!”

its.a.hit at gmail dot com