No self respecting woman…

by Robyn Wright on September 4, 2012

— Susan B. Anthony, 1872

Photograph of Suffragettes, Kenyon Hayden Rector, Mary Dubrow, and Alice Paul standing outside the 1920 Republican Convention in Chicago and holding a banner, “No self respecting woman should wish or work for the success of a party that ignores her self. Susan B. Anthony, 1872.”

I came across this photo yesterday and loved that even though the suffragettes were fighting for our right to vote, this idea still holds true today for women’s rights in their entirety. Right now there is so much in the media about politics and the November elections. Anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty liberal, however this post is not about a specific party. What really is important is for all women to learn the power of knowledge and vote with a way that best fits your values and beliefs. Not the way someone else tells you to vote, but the way you truly believe. Look into the voting history and opinion on women’s issues that the parties and candidates have and then make an informed voting decision!

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Wanda McHenry September 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm

All I have to say is: Here, Here! I agree exactly!

2 Tiffany Winner September 5, 2012 at 3:46 am

those ladies fought hard to get us the right to vote, we should use our votes wisely
thismomwins@gmail.com

3 @rkosully September 5, 2012 at 5:58 am

Unfortunately, too many people make _un_informed voting decisions, and too many people don’t know their own history!

4 Betty Baez September 5, 2012 at 8:13 am

Love this

5 Rose September 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

You know, I agree with you here but on a similar note I kind of feel like many teenagers are missing out on being a part of history, using their right to vote and voice their opinions. I smile inside when I see other Mom’s remark about their teen voting for the first time this year!

6 cassie September 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

amen! women STILL get paid less than men in the same position. Ugh!

dealbunny20@(gmail)dot(com)

7 nanlara September 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

i have am a registered party voter…however i always vote with my heart and what the candidates are sayying

8 Ravzie September 7, 2012 at 5:26 am

I don’t subscribe to all the tenets of either party. I find the social issues to be of less importance (not NO importance) than the economical issues right now. I think if the nation is to stay strong we have to make some hard choices and maybe swallow some stuff we don’t particularly care about or agree with. JMHO

9 Tammy Chapman Alexander September 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am so glad that I found your blog site–the fact that your content ranges from food to everyday life has me hooked. I think I have spent more time reading through your past blogs than I have been on PInterest =) Thank you for your time

10 Robyn's Online World September 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Awww Tammy thank you so much!!! That means more to me than you will know! So glad you are enjoying reading the posts!

11 Shannon Whitfield September 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thank you, great post! My sentiments exactly! I’m liberal, but I always try to vote my heart.

12 MichelleS October 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Being a female I am put off by liberal women these days (and have been since forever I was born) and all their “empowering entitlement” malarky and that they aren’t trying to make progress in a respectful, respectable manner. I am not “anti-progress”, but it could be done a better way. Slut walks? Conspiracy theories that the Republican party just wants women “barefoot and pregnant”-really? I am 100% sure no man would EVER want to be enslaved to owe to child support to some cretin feminist. I also disagree that women want TRUE equality as that which benefits both sides. Abortion is not a two-way equality street. feel no need to “vote like my lady parts depend on it”. I am pretty confident in my vote.