PicMonkey Free and Easy Online Photo Editor

by Robyn Wright on September 30, 2012

in Tech

People used to use Picnik for a lot of their photo editing needs, then it went away. However, I have recently realized (and I know many of you already knew this so why didn’t you bonk me over the head?) that some of the people who used to work at Picnik have now created PicMonkey.

• PicMonkey is free
    *at some point they will be adding a membership fee for the premium effects, but currently all free
  • PicMonkey is fast
    I really am surprised at how quickly the site loads, images are uploaded, and effects are applied.
  • PicMonkey can edit photos
    Simply upload your photo and crop, rotate, add colors, backgrounds, and all sorts of fun things
  • PicMonkey can make collages
    Pic all the photos you want and then the pattern of collage you like. I really love that they have templates set up just for Facebook cover photos
  • PicMonkey celebrates holidays
    At the time I am writing this they have some fabulous Halloween themes. My guess is that they have these themes throughout the year for all the different holidays too. Fun!

pumpkin collage

I used the PicMonkey collage function to create this for my Facebook cover photo.

robyn avatar halloween

I used the PicMonkey Vampires theme to change around my regular photo I use online to this creepy version!

Have you used PicMonkey? What is your favorite feature?

Disclosure: None, I just stumbled across this and thought it was very cool and that it would be useful to many of my readers.

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 tannawings September 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Nope haven’t used picmonkey yet……heck I haven;t even installed paintshoppro on this computer yet and it has been forever. I need to take more pics and get myself together.
Love the vamp version of you- it’s cute!

2 Robyn's Online World September 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

No need for PSP even – PicMonkey is really good!

3 GlArthy October 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i use psp and am happy with it. Actually I like to try other editing software too (paint, corel draw and now psp). Transformation in any can be nifty.

4 Robyn's Online World October 3, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I loved PSP when it was owned by Jasc, after that edition I was not as much of a fan. I do like Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

5 Shannon Whitfield September 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm

How weird, I was just searching around online today for a free photo editor site..thank you!! Adore your vampire look:) Being a big Halloween fan, this is exciting (can’t wait to start “creepin” up my photos!)

6 Robyn's Online World September 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

So glad it was helpful for you Shannon. I am amazed at the cool effects they have for Halloween alone. If you click the little help boxes on the different effects it gives you useful info on how to use it also.

7 Shannon Whitfield September 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Ah, I see.. thanks again! Totally loving the zombie effects, too:)

8 Linda M. Ramos October 1, 2012 at 8:58 am

I have seen this on my Chrome apps but haven’t taken the time to check it out yet. Putting it on my to do list now! I need to share it with my niece also. She went into a 3 day depression with Picnik shut down. It wasn’t pretty.

9 Rose October 3, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I was going to inbox you on Facebook to see how I can make myself all creepy! Ah, ha. You’re secrets are revealed my vampy friend! I’m SO going to check it out and play. I’m all giddy.

10 Ravzie October 4, 2012 at 5:31 am

Thanks for the heads up on that one! It looks like it might have a number of useful features, all for my favorite price! Nothing better than free, right??? Unless it’s one that pays you, LOL. But I am always afraid of free programs, you never know what you’re going to get. If you say it’s good, I’ll give it a try!

11 Robyn's Online World October 6, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I understand about the free thing. I get that they have to do do ads or other things to pay for services, but that doesn’t mean that they have to be so overwhelming that it slows the use of the free service. I was really impressed with how unobtrusive the ads were on PicMonkey. And you know I would not share it with you all if I didn’t think it was good.

12 Thomas Murphy October 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I have never used picmonkey but I plan to soon. Thanks for your review.
rounder9834 @yahoo.com

13 theconfidentmom October 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I just discovered it too – I am hoping to use it more for creating quote blocks for facebook!

14 Robyn's Online World October 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Excellent use idea!

15 Vicki Bensinger October 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm

First of all I want to say I can’t believe I haven’t been to your site before especially since we both live in the same town. I’m glad I found you, I will be back again.

Yes I’ve been using PicMonkey ever since Picnic went away. I love using it and like you said it’s so fast.

I use it to edit my photos, enhance color when needed and to add text to my photos. I haven’t done a collage yet but that’s a great idea to create one for my FB page.

Fun blog with lots of information.

16 Robyn's Online World October 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Well I’m glad you are here now!

I love the pics on your site – the food really pops with your black background!

17 Brian D. Meeks October 7, 2012 at 5:06 pm

This looks fun. I’ve not hear of it before your post, thanks for doing the review.

18 Robyn's Online World October 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

You’re welcome Brian! Enjoy!

19 Kecia October 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I love Picmonkey. I’ve been using it to edit my blog photos for about 3-4 months now and it’s been so easy!!

20 Jennifer Peaslee October 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I’ve never tried PicMonkey. Is it relatively user friendly when editing? I have no editing knowledge whatsoever, so I’d really need a beginners guide. jenniferpeaslee at gmail dot com

21 Robyn's Online World October 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I think it is pretty easy. Upload your starting image and then start clicking around at options on the left side. Just playing around with it you will pick up on what does what pretty quickly.

22 Stacey Nicole October 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Oh wow!!! Thank you so much for posting this. I have never heard of PicMonkey and I used to use piknic all the time and was so sad when it went away!!!! I will def. be checking this out. I have looked for a photo editor that compared to piknic and couldn’t find one. Btw your vampire picture is fabulous! :)
Email – Stacey.brickner6@gmail.com

23 Robyn's Online World October 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Stacey – that’s what I put on Facebook and it is creeping me out LOL

24 Starla Mint October 19, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’ve yet to use PicMonkey but I absolutely loved Picnik and was pretty bummed out when they went away. Anything to make editing, stitching easier (and faster!) will win me over. I’m going to have to check this out. Any word on what the premium features in the future will be?

its.a.hit at gmail dot com

25 Robyn's Online World October 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm

You can see the premium features already – they are marked with a crown. You can still use them for free right now though.

26 Ghemhoas Shoowaya Pachuau October 21, 2012 at 5:29 am

picmonkey is so great!! But I wish there was a picmonkey software which could be downloaded, cause we cant go online anytime so i want it in my computer…

27 Robyn's Online World October 21, 2012 at 4:27 pm

It would be nice to have an offline version too