The perfect wine for Halloween

by Robyn Wright on October 27, 2012

in Food

ChocolatRouge Wine

I have the perfect wine for you to try while you are handing out candy to the little goblins on Halloween and especially if you are going to be nibbling on some chocolate yourself (don’t worry – I won’t tell). ChocolatRouge is the name of the wine. Also perfect for Halloween parties, chocolate tasting parties, dessert courses, etc.

Hubby and I tried two of the varieties. Yes, again my work is hard, but I suffer through it for you all. You’re welcome. The lighter ChocolatRouge has cream in it and is to be served cold or over ice. This was Hubby’s preferred variety. For me it tasted more like a strong cocktail instead of a wine. The chocolate flavor hits you right off the bat. The darker is the ChocolatRouge Sweet Red. It is for room temperature. I liked this one! It was very smooth and no bitterness at all. You do not taste the chocolate in this right away, it shows up at the end. This would be perfect with a chocolate dessert. I felt we needed to nibble a little chocolate while we ate and I still have lots of Raisinetes so that is what we tried with it. That may sound funny, but honestly the dark chocolate Raisinetes were really good with it, especially the red wine. There is also a ChocolatRouge Dark Red variety but we did not receive samples of that one.

chocolatrouge recipes

On the ChocolatRouge website they have some great recipes using the wines also including a ChocolatRouge Red Velvet with pomegranate syrup, ChocolatRouge Café which is coffee based, a ChocolatRouge Orangette and several others. Yum!

What do you think? Have you ever tried any chocolate wines?

Disclosure: I received samples of ChocolatRouge. The opinions are totally my own (and Hubby’s).

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Krystel Warden October 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm

yum yum yum i would love to have some :)

2 Margie October 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Haven’t tried chocolate wines before, but they do sound intriguing. Perfect for the Holidays.

3 Tooth Fairy October 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Really regret that I have never tried chocolate wines yet! I prefer white wines but not white chocolate…Is it wine o’clock in your time zone yet? Thanks for your really sweet suggestions!

4 Robin October 28, 2012 at 5:29 am

You’re right that it seems more like a cocktail than a wine. I haven’t tried a chocolate wine, but I do love all things chocolate!

5 Ravzie October 28, 2012 at 6:52 am

MMMM, I love chocolates with wine, especially old vines Zinfandel. I have had some wines with a chocolate hint or tone, but this sounds really yummy. I think I would like either one!

6 bhaley518 October 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Yumm I’m all for a dessert you can drink…. This sounds like I would enjoy this wine with chocolate covered cherries!! Thanks for sharing

7 Diane MehimAndthecats October 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I have never had chocolate wine before but my mom has and she loves it. She actually doesn’t normally drink wine but loves the smoothness of chocolate wine, at least the brand she tried!

8 tannawings October 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm

ChocolatRouge sounds interesting- and pretty darn good. I really am not much of a chocolate person but do try and find things like this for in the winter. Betcha the ChocolatRouge Sweet Red would even be good heated up!

9 AngelaLilly November 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

wow! never heard of chocolate wine! my hubby loves chocolate martinis though. I love the Halloween themed wines. Even though I don’t drink it, I love the labels of some of them, especially Vampire Vineyards brand: http://store.vampire.com/wine-c7.aspx

10 Wendy T December 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Weird timing….

I think I just saw this in the store yesterday. I think I’d pick the one with the cream in it, too. When I saw it, I thought it might be just too much. After reading what you wrote, I may think differently when I see it next time.

11 Kerry G January 4, 2013 at 10:53 am

Chocolate wine is my hubby’s favorite. For some reason O can’t get on board. I do, however, like me qsome Godiva liquor.

12 terry petero February 4, 2013 at 12:25 am

I LOVE chocolate, so a wine that is chocolate i would so love to try and have a girls night of tasteing chocolates and the wine.