If you received some really nice gifts for the holidays – great! But be careful! Thieves will troll through neighborhoods this time of year looking for tell tale signs of homes to rob. It is a shame, but it is a fact. There are some things you can do to help reduce your risk of your home being robbed of all your new toys.
- Cut up large TV, computer, etc. type boxes to fit into recycling without having the full box in your trash pile. Putting out a full box easily lets them see what new items might be just waiting to be stolen inside your home.
- Do not put out your old items that are being replaced in your garbage. If you put out an old TV buy the garbage that means you may have gotten a new TV to replace the old one.
- Even small boxes and packaging should be in garbage bags if possible. If you just pile stuff into the trash can loosely the crooks can easily lift the lid and see what is inside.
- Consider taking boxes and packaging directly to your recyling center. Since you do not use trash bags in your recycling it is harder to disguise those items. Call your local recycling center (or trash company) and ask if there is a drop off location. They may not have this all the time, but they do have it around the holidays in many areas.
- While this may not deter thieves, make sure to recycle as much as you can to help Earth. Unfortunately our society has a lot of waste this time of year. Do your part to help reduce the amount put into landfills.
Do you have any tips to add that may help others?
© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.