Best Cloth for Cleaning Tablets, Screens and Phones

by Robyn Wright on December 30, 2012

in Tech

I use Scotch-Brite Microfiber Dusting Cloths on my Surface tablet, monitors, laptops and phonesOur phones and tablets, and now even many monitors, need cleaned often. There are always little fingerprints on them and then dust seems to stick to those prints too. I have tried all sorts of cloths to clean my laptop, Surface tablet, smartphone, and computer monitors and what works best in my opinion is the Scotch-Brite Microfiber Dusting Cloth by 3M.

Hubby is actually the one who got me started using these. He uses different types of microfiber cloths for cleaning. I was really surprised how much better these clean when he first showed me. I used the silky thin microfiber cloths for some time, but they honestly do not clean as well as the Scotch-Brite Microfiber Dusting Cloth and it’s sort of nubby surface. The thin cloths are still nice to have around for a quick clean, but to really clean the screens well you will be amazed at how much this other cloth will do. texture of the Scotch-Brite Microfiber Dusting Cloth

Make sure you wash them occasionally – even if you do not think they are dirty. The dirt gets locked down in there. Also, be sure not to use any fabric softener products on any microfiber cloth, that just ruins them.

The best test? Have you (or the kids) ever sneezed on your screen? This will clean it off wonderfully!

What do you use to clean your devices?

Disclosure: I have received free samples of this item from 3M, but I was already buying them on my own before that. I really am a huge fan of this product. Opinions are my own.

© 2012 – 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 GlArthy December 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I clean with any cloth labelled for ‘computer monitor screens’ etc., which I know is not good. Hoping they do the job for which it is meant; even those from the dollar store I would use. Actually there are not many recommendations out there devoted to this, or I have not checked. Will certainly checkout the above in store and give it a try. Thanks.

2 Robyn Wright December 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Soft is really key and I would say most of the ones labeled for computers are probably okay. I see so many people rubbing their phones and tablets on their clothes though (ok I do it sometimes too in a pinch) that I thought I would share.

3 Andrea December 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I have been using an eyeglass cleaning cloth that I found in an old eyeglasses case. I’ll have to look for these the next time I’m at the store. Thanks Robyn!

4 Robyn Wright December 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Easily found in the cleaning aisles – you will like it better than the one for eyeglasses.

5 Margie December 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I just use a soft cloth. Thanks for the suggestion.

6 nannypanpan December 30, 2012 at 8:01 pm

gonna have to try this, currently use paper towels and definately get lint marks

7 Robyn Wright December 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Don’t use paper towels! That will scratch your surface easily!

8 Mendy Dinsmore December 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm

We keep clear covers on our phones. I don’t use anything special to clean it, since I know its covered. We do use cleaning clothes for our glasses.

9 Robyn Wright December 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Even the covers get fingerprints a bit though, but you can be less picky about cloths if you do have a cover. The only clear adhesive covers I like are the 3M Natural View Screen Protectors http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MScreens_NA/Protectors/Shop_Products/Product_Catalog/~?N=5516625&rt=c3 , I know I am quite picky with covers. The 3M Natural View are the only ones I barely notice on the screens.

10 Jane m December 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I have tried eye glass cleaning cloths feather dusters & paper towels & glass cleaner,
We are going to try these ScotchBrite Cloths

11 Katherine December 31, 2012 at 4:58 am

I have one of those cloths and that is what I use

12 Nancy Jachcik December 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I too have been using an eyeglass cleaning cloth like some other readers. Problem being it is so tiny! I’ll definitely be looking to purchase the Scotch-Brite Microfiber Dusting Cloth .

13 Ashley January 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

These really are the best for cleaning. Mirrors and windows in my home have never looked so good.

14 Robyn Wright January 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I would agree that they work great on a lot of things, but Hubby is usually the one who takes care of those things around here.

15 Linda January 2, 2013 at 7:06 pm

This was super helpful. Thanks for the tips

16 Wendy T January 2, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I’ve just used whatever I picked up when I needed it and whatever was cheapest. I’d never stopped to think that one might actually do a better job than another. I figured they all just lifted the dust.

Now that you have me thinking about it, I’ll keep my eyes open for this one you wrote about and see if I notice a difference.

17 Christy Brayboy January 2, 2013 at 9:30 pm

This is a wonderful tip :)

18 angie January 3, 2013 at 9:07 am

I too use microfiber cloths. I got mine from Sun & Earth but they are the same concept as these. I use them for all my electronics screens as well as my eyeglasses!

19 Mary January 3, 2013 at 9:18 am

Ive never seen it at Publix. Will have to look around for it to try it out

20 katherine florence January 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I have not use this to clean my computer or labtop I will have to try them sometime. I have used the air blower in a can to get dust out of the crevices on my keyboard.

21 Michelle S January 3, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I have been looking for something else and I keep seeing these and might have to give them a whirl.

22 Alix Craw January 4, 2013 at 10:02 am

Thanks for the tip about these cloths! I’ve been using windex and paper towels to clean off my computer and phones screens for awhile now, but I was always paranoid that some of the liquid would go into one of the ports and damage the electronics. It’s good to know about other options that pose far less risk. Thanks!

23 Julie January 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’ve been getting dust cloths for my cleaning my screens.

24 Shelly Peek January 4, 2013 at 5:01 pm

WOW! Just bought and tried this dusting cloth! You should see the shine on my Televisions and Computer Monitors. I have tried all sorts of cloths and none have done this well, Moving on to the cell phone and tablet screens next, Just gotta keep shining!!! lol

25 Melinda Van Sickle January 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm

This helps!! I have issues with trying to find what works, and now I’m introduced to something that actually works!!! Thank you!!! Gotta try it!!!

26 Connie T January 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Thank you so very much for this tip. I’ve been searching for a good way to clean my desktop monitor other than a lightly dampened regular cloth which doesn’t work well at all. Thanks again and Happy New Year!