Hands Free in Your Car with Parrot

by Robyn Wright on December 22, 2012

in Tech

While many new cars are set up to connect via Bluetooth to our smartphones, we don’t all drive brand new cars. You can still be safer in your car by using a simple hands free device when making or receiving phone calls. My last car (2002 Lexus LS) did not have the ability to connect with my phone, my latest car I bought last week (2009 Chrysler Sebring) had an option for this, but it is not on my car. I’m using a Parrot Minikit+ instead. If you need a gift still, this is great for drivers. It really is a very handy device.

parrot minikit logo

I have had a Parrot for a while now and told you about it first back 2010. Now my son has the original Parrot I had and I have a new one they just sent me. You can see they do not take up a lot of space at all. I just clip it onto my sun visor. It easily unclips to tuck away in a glove box for security if you want also. This version allows me to connect two phones wirelessly via Bluetooth – that means Hubby and I both can use it with our phones. Very hand for us – this is in my car, but when we go out in the evening it is the car we usually take so it is nice to have both phones connected. I have to admit Hubby is not very good about not using his phone while driving which frustrates me – I don’t mind hands free at all, but that is not what he does in his own car.

Parrot Minikit parrot 2
To connect via Bluetooth you just turn on Bluetooth on your phone, then it will search and find the Parrot. Just tap to connect them. It will even send your contacts from your phone to the Parrot. The battery seems to last longer in this latest Parrot, but it comes with a USB connector that you can plug into a charger in your car when you need it. Sleep mode kicks in when it needs to and when you get into a car it detects the vibration and wakes back up. If a call comes in you will hear it thru the Parrot – if it is a contact you had listed it will even say the caller’s name. You can then say “Accept” to answer or “Reject” to not answer. No need to touch your phone at all. If you want to make a call yourself you tap the green button and it will ask who you want to call. If there are multiple numbers for a contact it will even ask you which one to call. If you are using navigation on your smartphone it will also broadcast the verbal directions over the Parrot so it is a bit louder. Parrot can also read your texts and emails to you if you subscribe to Text Friendly – I have not yet tried this feature but I hope to soon.

This really is a very simple device to use and keeps you from fumbling with your phone when you shouldn’t be! Parrot makes several different models of hands-free devices and other products and I have been pleased with the quality and performance of all the items I have tried. You can find Parrot hands-free kits at retail stores like Brookstone and Best Buy and online at Amazon – plus lots of other online and retail stores.

Disclosure: I was provided a sample of this item as stated above. Opinions are my own.

© 2012, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Rosey December 22, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My college-aged son has a phone coming, and he’s coming home over the break…the phone prolly won’t make it in time, but this Parrot (which I’m sure would be ideal) might be the perfect way to introduce it. Yay, I’m glad I saw this in my e-mail. Thanks, Robyn!

Merry Christmas too!!

2 Robyn Wright January 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I hope you were able to pick up a Parrot for him to use with the new phone!

3 Katherine December 23, 2012 at 5:13 am

My daughter definitely needs one of these she is on the road alot and loves her phone :)

4 Robyn Wright January 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

They have several different models to pick from also.

5 Ravzie December 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

I am overwhelmed by too much technology. I like the idea of things like this, but I am probably never going to try to use it. Thanks for always providing interesting info on all the latest gadgets, however.

6 Robyn Wright January 1, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Even I get overwhelmed by tech sometimes. There is so much of it and then many things overlap. One of the reasons I like the Parrot devices is that they are fairly simple to use and are actually useful too.

7 Margie December 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I like that it will ask your choice if there are multiple numbers for a contact.
Thanks for the information.
Happy Holidays!

8 Jane December 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm

This is amazing I want this for my hubby he’s a trucker. The union rep needs to know about the Parrot!
TY for sharing…

9 Robyn Wright January 1, 2013 at 8:54 pm

When I did my first review of Parrot a while back I did a giveaway with it and the winner actually gave it to her husband who drove a lot for his job as well.

10 John C. January 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Wow, this thing is really cool. Too bad I didn’t see it before the holidays I would have purchased one for my brother!

11 Wendy T January 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Ditto what Ravzie said!

I just heard the new law in my state is no kids with probationary licenses are allowed to be on the cell phone when driving. I think that’s a great plan!

12 angie January 3, 2013 at 9:55 am

that is so cool! SO awesome that there are devices like this for people. We are lucky that our 2012 Toyota Prius connects via bluetooth, but I know LOTS of people who could benefit from this and will be telling them about it! Thanks!

13 Michelle S January 3, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I am so bad with stuff like this. Even if it’s “hands free” it does require a certain amount of attention to utilize this. Cute and clever name.

14 Julie January 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’ve never heard of the parrot and had no idea that it was a kind of car device. This seems like a handy device. Unfortunately I don’t have bluetooth but if I did, this would be something to consider