Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

by Robyn Wright on February 12, 2013

in Weight Loss

Robyn 1 month after weight loss surgeryToday I had a follow up with my wonderful surgeon, Dr. Minkin. It has been just about a month since I had the gastric sleeve surgery (the weight loss surgery on January 10), and it has been 12 days since I had my gallbladder removed. January was a rough and tumble month for sure! The doctor is very pleased with my progress. The photo to the right is me today waiting to see the doctor.

The official weight loss per my doctor’s scale today is 42 pounds down. Even though that is a significant amount, I still have a way to go. You cannot really tell I have lost that much except around my stomach area and then probably only if you see me everyday like my family does. I am sure it will start being noticeable more soon (I hope). More importantly though is that just these first 40+ pounds gone has made it easier for me to walk further, do more, and do miscellaneous small things that I struggled with just a month ago because of my size. Those little things really help you to keep going.

When you have weight loss surgery of any type vitamins are a big part of your life afterwards. This has been a big struggle for me because most of them made me nauseated. Today I discussed this with the doctor and he gave me a nose spray (once a week) to try for my vitamin B12 – Nascobal. If that doesn’t work for me there is a once a month shot I can try next. He also said I can take Citracal Petites for my calcium instead of those icky Bariatric Advantage chewy things. Those two along with my multi-vitamin are all he said I need to worry about for right now. Whew! What a relief!

Eating is still just an odd experience. You can only eat a little, about 1/2 cup total, per meal. When part of my brain thinks about it there is still a little bit of feeling deprived compared to what I used to eat BUT once I start eating it is hard for me even to finish that 1/2 cup of food because I get full. It is a very odd mixture of feelings. The other big part of eating is that I am an emotional eater and I’m trying to learn other tactics for when I am upset, sad, stressed, etc. but right now, particularly the last couple of weeks, having gone through all of this stuff has made me want that food comfort of course. Yikes! I know I will get through this, but it is very hard. The emotional part of this journey has been much harder than the physical for sure. The last week or so I really have been in the “I wish I had never done this” mode – I know that will pass also, but it is honestly how I have felt.

So I am trudging forward. I am beyond words thankful for Hubby, my family, and all of my friends for their love, support, and encouragement since I started all of this. I do not think I could have done it without them all! And thank you to all of my readers who understand why my posts have been limited lately – I appreciate your patience along with everything else.  {{{HUGS}}}

© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Jean Parks February 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Robyn, that you’ve been posting at all is pretty amazing, you have had a tough month, your body & mind are reeling from the changes, be kind to yourself here. I’m also an emotional eater & am having to come to grips with that truth, you being so candid is helping me & a lot of your other readers! Big hugs to you lady!

2 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Not being unkind to myself – promise. Just wanting to share how I really feel going through all of this. The emotional eating is something I will always have to deal with I’m sure, but I’m learning ways to curb that with my therapist and with the support groups with the program I am using for the surgery. Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

3 ConnieFoggles February 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm

You look amazing! I can see such a difference in your face already. Of course we understand why you’re not blogging. Rest up and pamper yourself. Hug!

4 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I think it is just a good pic LOL – I’ve learned over the last couple of years how to raise that camera up more to make it look better :-)
Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

5 Kerri Jablonski February 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Yay Robyn! You are glowing in your picture! Love!

6 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Thanks Kerri!
Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

7 Sara Broers February 12, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Robyn- You look great! What an amazing journey you continue on- You are inspiring many!

8 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Thanks Sara!
Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

9 tamaraben February 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Looking gorgeous! I can’t even imagine how hard this as been on you but I know in the end you will be so amazed at your great accomplishment of reaching you goal to a happy & healthier life! Thank-you so much for sharing with us your journey {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

10 Robyn's Online World February 12, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Thank you! I’m sure even in just a few weeks I will be feeling a lot better about the whole process even. Just like I said, baby steps. I am more than happy to share here too – if it helps just one other person it is worth it – just like Nicole Bullock helped me! Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

11 Whitney February 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Robyn, glad to see you are doing much better. I had weight loss surgery in 2003 and it forever changed my life. I probably would not be here if I didn’t have the surgery. I wish you the best and will continue to pray for a speedy recovery.

12 ciaraj February 12, 2013 at 8:54 pm

robyn-even though you say there’s a long way to go, you can really tell the difference. you’re looking fabulous. funny thing about women, when they start losing weight, it’s more noticeable in the face and around the waist versus guys who just lose it all over (damn them lol). i love how honest you have been with how you’ve been feeling emotionally. most people don’t like to talk about it, because sometimes they feel guilty, upset w/ themselves, etc., over those feelings. the biggest part of any weight loss, whether it’s through exercise and diet or surgery, is knowing what got you to that point in the first place. since you know all this, and you know that you are still struggling a bit (which i think is normal), you are going to be really great at keeping the weight off. you also have a great support system so that is a BIG plus. i have thyroid disease which was the cause of most of my weight gain, and i have been trying to lose weight for years (once i got on the right meds), but my husband is terrible with the support. it’s also difficult when he’s constantly eating. luckily for me, i don’t get affected to much other than getting nauseated lol but emotionally, i think because he likes to eat all the time, he’s just not that supportive.

13 tamaraben February 12, 2013 at 8:55 pm

It has to be hard to eat a 1/2 cup my goodness I can’t do that but then again maybe I should! From your new picture I can see a glow in your eyes so I know you will out shine the bad in no time <3

14 Margie February 12, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Best wishes, Robyn.

15 Anna Galanos February 12, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Congratulations Robyn! That is a great start!

16 Jane m February 12, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I am so happy little things are making a difference for you & help keep you motivated.
I totally agree with vitamins making you nauseated. I take some in addition to a couple of scripts daily. TY for sharing what you learned, I am going to ask my doctors if there is anything I can do

17 Debbie Coyle February 13, 2013 at 4:21 am

You look amazing in the photo!! I’m sure it can’t be easy but you can do it. Vitamins made me feel sick too, but, I started making sure I took them after I had eaten. It worked out a lot better that way. Keep up the great work.

18 Kathy February 13, 2013 at 5:48 am

WOW~ YOu are doing great~ Keep it up

19 Ravzie February 13, 2013 at 7:05 am

Wow, that is awesome! 42!!! I can really see it in your face! Already slimmer. I know you haven’t had a good time, but it will be better!!!

20 Robin February 13, 2013 at 7:08 am

Hang in there–don’t worry about posting infrequently. You don’t want to be overexerting yourself!

21 fabkate February 13, 2013 at 7:33 am

you’re in the hard part… now it only gets better!
And I can definitely see the difference in your face from the older photos!
YES! YOU ARE LOSING IT AND IT SHOWS!

I’ve noticed myself that unless I put my photos side by side, it’s been hard to notice the loss. Try it!

22 yourunexpectedbeauty February 13, 2013 at 8:06 am

Great Robyn! I love how transparent you are being through this process.

23 Tiffany Winner February 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

glad it’s getting easier to get around, that will really help in your progress :)
thismomwins@gmail.com

24 Robyn's Online World February 13, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Yes – I need to keep moving!
Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

25 Daria February 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I too am an emotional eater and would love some tips on how you are dealing with it – what works for you, what triggers and how to recognize them, then what to DO about it! Besides eat of course.

You are amazing!! Chin up, eyes forward – you got this!

26 Jenn February 25, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Congratulations on your surgery! I’m not sure if you knew, but I had gastric bypass (the “traditional” roux en y) 3 years ago. There’s definitely a learning curve at first, as you find out not only what works for WLS patients, but for *you* specifically. For example, I can tolerate egg noodles (great source of protein and perfect substitute for regular pasta), yet my friend, who had the surgery last July, can’t. She can tolerate bread, and I can’t.

If you ever have any questions, or just want to talk (I too had my gallbladder out, then two small bowel resections, and just last week a perforated ulcer), email me. :)

27 Robyn's Online World February 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Jenn! I did know you had surgery – Nicole Bullock mentioned it to me. I totally agree with you about everyone being different. On one of the groups I am on I am amazed at how different everyone is. I really haven’t had anything I haven’t tolerated – although I did just eat too much for the 1st time last week which was a learning experience. I’ve got a long way to go – but I’m feeling physically better which helps so much! Hope you are feeling better from the ulcer – those are no fun!

28 Mendy Dinsmore February 27, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Robin, you look great. I had to look twice when I got your newsletter. Your doing great and I wish you lots of happiness with your weight loss.

29 AngelaLilly February 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm

congrats on your weight loss! I am down 55.6lbs as of my February weigh in at home. This is via eating less not a surgery mind you, so it is much slower going. Both ways rock though! LOL Just a FYI not a judgement. Keep on keeping on!

30 Robyn's Online World February 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Congratulations!!!! That is great! Even with the surgery, it is still eating less, it just forces me to eat less since I struggle to stay on track just on my own. I wish I would have been able to go the non-surgery route like you though. Subject: [robynsonlineworld] Re: Weight Loss Surgery 1 Month Later

31 AngelaLilly February 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm

we are each on our own journey and have to do what works for us…as long as it works and we both end up happy, that is all that matters! Thank you for your sweet words! xoxo

32 cancer free me March 4, 2013 at 5:42 pm

sounds like you are doing awesome! surgical procedures are really hard to come back from, we all think we are able to do so quicker than we actually are.