Life with a Windows Phone Day 1 – the Nokia Lumia 920

by Robyn Wright on April 2, 2013

in Reviews & Giveaways,Tech

Disclosure: I was provided this phone from the Windows Phone team to test out. Opinions are my own, as always. If you missed the previous days, you can find them here:

You all know I love to have a great smartphone. If you see me in person it is rare that you will see me without one in my hands. For the next several days I will be trying life with a Windows Phone, specifically the Nokia Lumia 920. By the way, the Nokia Lumia 920 just won Smartphone of the Year from the Engadget Awards!

I actually have had the phone for a couple of days, but today is my first official “Day 1” with it. Today will be an overview of my thoughts so far and the next seven days I will cover something a little more specific about the device each day.

Here are my thoughts so far – and a few photos (obviously the photos were NOT taken with the new phone LOL)

WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics  Back of the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone - RED!
This is a nice big camera, which I love and need! I know large phones are not for everyone, but they are really what I look for. The Lumia 920 is 130.3mm tall and 70.8mm wide, 10.7mm thick, and it weighs 185g – the weight is nice for me. Not a super light phone, but I like the sturdy feeling of the phone for sure. The display size of the screen is 4.5” <—yay!

WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics (2)

A little hard to see in this pic, but the camera has a Carl Zeiss lens. To be honest I did not know who that was, but Hubby took a look at my phone and said “Ohhh, Carl Zeiss, nice!”. He said he know the name for making optics for binoculars, cameras, rifle scopes, etc. and they are very good quality.

WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics (4)  WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics (5)
I love the “tiles” that you customize for the home screen on Windows Phones. This is not my final layout at all, as you can see I have installed a lot of apps to try out. You do not have to see them all on the main screen either, there is a list in alphabetical order to find them too. The Xbox games is the funnies tile because it has my Xbox avatar I made on it, and then the Xbox logo too, but they come in and out of different areas and bump into each other – I just find it amusing. At the top left is my notifications tile which lets you know how many new items you have with your various connected accounts (more below). You can stretch and shrink the tiles to the size you prefer. Live tiles are ones that are updated with photos, info, etc. and are great for a quick glance of what is happening or reminders.

WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics (6)  WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics (7)
This is the Notifications area I mentioned above. When you first tap the tile it takes you to your share page. Here I can post an update to any of my connected accounts including Facebook and Twitter. I can check in at locations, and I can show my availability of chat too. When you swipe to the next screen it shows you a list of those detailed items – I love this a lot! Everything right in one place! I still have the full apps of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. on the phone to use if I am doing more, but this concentrated notification area is very handy.

WindowsPhone Nokia Lumia 920 Day 1 Pics (8)

One of the other things I like is the ability to create groups of people. For instance, this is my family group. It shows avatars, then the live tile shows names, and then it will even update with that person’s latest update or photo they shared. The only drawback is that I can only put 25 people in each group – heck my family is bigger than that so I will need a few family groups in all – but still a cool function.

Just like when you change any smartphone, there is a learning curve. Not only is this a new phone for me, but it is also a new operating system, Windows 8. However, even though I am learning as I go with the operating system, there is a lot about it that feels wonderfully comfortable since I already use Windows 8 for my desktop, laptop, Surface, and even Xbox has this same “metro” design to it. That is really one of the reasons I was anxious to try out a Windows Phone, I wanted to see if it felt more fluid to me and if it was going to be easier to stay in sync across all of my devices.

So my Samsung Galaxy SIII is now off to the side. It is really an awesome phone, but Android is just not my favorite operating system. Hubby has gladly offered to use my Samsung Galaxy SIII for the next eight days while I am trying out the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone. I know he is hoping I will continue to like this phone so I keep it and he can keep the SIII. Yes, we are a mixed marriage LOL!

Stay tuned each day for more about my experience with my new Windows Phone 8 over the next week!

© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Robynne Savacool Cook April 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I will be interested in reading your continued reviews and opinions of this phone over time. I got my Nokia Lumia 920 in January, and had many of the same feelings about it when I got it. I like the tiles, the customization, the groups, and especially the kid zone function, allowing the kids to play games but not able to access the other parts of my phone. However, over time I have become less satisfied with the phone overall, and I am seriously considering returning to an iPhone. I want to love the Lumia, and I did for a while. I can’t even really explain why I’m not loving it anymore. I definitely want to hear (read) what you think.

2 Robyn's Online World April 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Robynne are there any specific things at all that you can think of about the phone that are making you unhappy with it? If you think of some let me know and maybe I can address those issues or get an answer from my PR contact about it.

3 tannawings April 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I of course dont have the phone but just do not like the look of windows 8. I have yet to switch from win7- and yes I went kicking and screaming when giving up XP. For some reaason win8 just ‘doesnt do it’ for me- the tiles just look funny.

4 Robyn's Online World April 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I understand that it is different and it is nice to have things “click” visually and in practice. I swear though that you would start loving Windows 8 if you used it :-)

5 Robin April 3, 2013 at 5:23 am

The tiles are definitely cool; and I can see how the concentrated notification panel would be handy. Thanks for the review!

6 Robyn's Online World April 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

You’re welcome Robin – stay tuned for more!

7 Stephanie Larison April 3, 2013 at 5:24 am

I am so behind on the times. I have never had a smartphone, lol. I have never been very tech cool. I never got anything newer, no ipad, kindle, anything like those. This looks nice, but looks a but too complicated for me.

8 Robyn's Online World April 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I promise they are very easy to use – tech has gotten much more user friendly the past several years. If you decide to get something just take your time learning it. Have someone show you just one or two new things at a time and use that until you feel comfortable, then learn one or two more new things.

9 Ana April 3, 2013 at 8:47 am

What a colorful picture of all your apps as small tiles. You make me want to give Windows Phone another chance as the main phone. I have one, but it’s not a Nokia. I didn’t try the “groups” feature. Looking forward to reading more on your learning curve with a new OS. As always, great post!

10 Robyn's Online World April 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’m having fun exploring the new apps available for the phone for sure – I think today’s post will be focusing on that area. I added a St. Louis group last night for the folks I hang out with a lot in my home town.

11 Jean Parks April 3, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Robyn, We tested the Nokia Lumia 822 & hubby liked it, we’re now taking the HTC 8X for a spin. I see the value & appeal of the Windows phones for a lot of people but I really love my Galaxy Note 2.

12 Robyn's Online World April 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm

The 822 seemed like it would be a bit on the small side for me. I debated between the HTC 8X and this Lumia 920 for sure. I know I really liked the Samsung Galaxy Note also – great phone. You are much more the android girl for sure I think :-)

13 Lisa G. April 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

DH and I have had this phone since February 6. He absolutely loves it as it works well (syncs and all that stuff) with his work stuff. I, however, have a harder time with change and am still trying to figure everything out, ugh! One thing we both learned, the hard way, was to always leave our data on. We weren’t turning it on unless we needed it because we have limited data, but we found out that each of us at different times both missed a call and a voicemail and it didn’t show up until (the next day) when we turned our data on. I really need to just take the time to sit down and read up on it and play around with it so I can learn more.

14 Robyn's Online World April 3, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Lisa – with your data you can change settings on the phone for certain things. For instance, you can have updates for apps to only download when on wifi instead of the data plan. You can also turn different settings on and off within many apps. For intervals on pushes of notifications of email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. set your delays for longer periods apart to save on data as well. When at home of course use your own wifi which does not go towards your data limit at all.

15 Ravzie April 4, 2013 at 6:07 am

Ha ha, you are truly a techie woman. I can hardly work the iphone, so changing to another is a bizarre idea!!!

16 Robyn's Online World April 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

Have you ever gone to an Apple store and taken a free class on using your iPhone? That might be useful for you.

17 slehan April 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm

My phone makes calls and does have texting, which I’ve used maybe 10 times in 2 years. I can’t imaging my learning curve going to any smart phone, but I would be glad to take a class in it.

18 Lisa April 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm

The Zeisse lens is nice! Love the size of this phone too. Will be reading on to see about battery life…

19 Elena May 2, 2013 at 8:31 am

I like the red color of this phone. Looks cool

20 Christie May 2, 2013 at 9:00 am

I love that you can group people such as work and personal friends

21 Anna May 3, 2013 at 11:35 pm

That’s what I would like to do – sync up my devices! Syncing with xbox is a plus too! :)

22 Wendy Thompson May 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

The only thing I didn’t hear you mention was it preheating the oven and putting the casserole in it for you :) Sounds like a lot of great features and I’m glad you mentioned the learning curve. That resonates with me.

23 lilyk May 17, 2013 at 10:27 pm

The Nokia Lumia 920 looks very nice. Thanks for sharing!