Melancholy at Walt Disney World

by Robyn Wright on May 11, 2013

Walt Disney World is a magical place and tons of fun. I truly mean that. However, my story today is a little bit different. I am here for the Disney Social Media Moms Conference (also fabulous) and at the moment I am writing this I am feeling more melancholy than anything.

Walt Disney World

I came to this event myself, without Hubby or T. The last time we were in Walt Disney World together was 2000. T was just 5 years old back then. My memories of that trip are truly wonderful. We just all loved the magic of Disney and had such a great family experience. Now normally going on a trip alone does not impact me negatively at all, but this one has and I think it is because I am seeing most everyone else here with their families and making those same kinds of magical family memories that I have. I do not want in any way to begrudge my peers (and the thousands of other people here) that experience of making memories – the opposite really – I truly wish everyone can have it! What is happening to me is that I am sad that the “mommy” part of my life is essentially done. Yes, I am still a mom of course, but my son is 18 and that is just very different than having little ones. “Empty nest” is probably what this most closely resembles.

Myself, Hubby, and T in Walt Disney World in 2000

This feeling of life change has been with me for a while now but seeing others enjoying their small children this weekend has really brought my emotions to the surface. Yes, I have shed a few tears the last few days. Part of me has loved seeing the kids all having such a wonderful time and seeing the parents happiness of seeing the joy in their own children’s faces. Those little looks of amazement from the kids is just fantastic. The parents being so happy too, even through the lines and crowds is just fantastic. I remember that feeling and I think I wish I just still had more time to make more of those memories or just go back in time for a little while. Is that something Disney Magic can do for me?

Of course, I know the answer is no and I really do understand that while one part of my life is in the past I still have so many amazing things to look forward to. I am also incredibly lucky to have all the wonderful memories that I do. So while I am here I am trying to just let the feelings happen and allow myself to process them. It is part of life. It is not the end of the world. It will be okay.

For those of you still with young children please cherish the short time you have with them. It truly goes by in a flash. Treasure those memories that you make with them.

And Mickey, do not worry, I know how magical your house is and I will be returning soon with my Hubby at least to make even more magical memories, but just in a different way. Even though I have felt sad some of the time this visit I did still appreciate the magic of you and all the cast members as always.

Are you in the same stage of life as me or have you already been through it? Any advice or tips?

© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Sara Broers May 11, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Robyn~ I totally get this! My youngest turns 18 in two days and we have been to Disney with our boys a dozen times. Walt Disney World is magical for everyone. I am looking forward to returning with just my hubby- great memories and it is so true- Enjoy the moments, as they grow up so fast! And yes, we will always be Mom!

2 Robyn Wright May 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Sara! I’m hoping to go back to WDW soon with Hubby too to make new memories.

3 paulaschuck May 11, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I am not there, but I am melancholy sometimes that my girls are 9 and 11 and as tweens they need me a lot differently than they used to. I can easily see what it is your are talking about. Children moving away from you is good, but it is also a wee bit heartbreaking. Sending hugs.

4 Robyn Wright May 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Paula – you are right, it is good in some ways, but heartbreaking in others. Treasure them being this young now! It will go far more quickly than you realize.

5 dragonfly777 May 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I’m exactly at the same place! My son and daughter are now in college and I’m also feeling peri-menopause kicking in. We went to Disney twice when they were very young, then my husband had many issues with his business and we never went back. I think you should plan another trip with them. It will be different, but, still fun :) I’m hoping to go back next year too.

6 Robyn Wright May 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I hope you get to go back soon too! Right now my son isn’t interested in going again, but maybe someday.

7 Rose A May 12, 2013 at 7:49 am

We have four kids aged, 25, 20, 14, and 5, lol. We started over, on purpose and I STILL miss the bigger two who have moved out (though one is married now and just had his first child, so that’s different now too). But I sure do cherish this time so much more now that I know exactly how fast it truly goes. Sending hugs and happy thoughts over from one sort-of-empty-nester to another. :)

8 Robyn Wright May 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm

That is fabulous that you were able to start over Rose! I would love to adopt kids, but Hubby and T are not on board with that plan sadly. That must be great being a grandma of a little one now too!

9 Lyn May 12, 2013 at 10:03 am

HAPPY HAPPY MOTHER’s DAY Robyn! And you are right. You do have amazing things to look forward to in the future!!!!

And btw, I don’t always chime in, but I am so very proud of YOU and your accomplishments with weight loss. I know it’s not an easy journey, but know we are here for you cheering you on!

10 Robyn Wright May 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Thanks Lyn – I am looking forward to new adventures for sure. This weekend it just all caught up at the same time it seems. And thank you for cheering me on!

11 Sonya Morris May 12, 2013 at 10:28 am

Happy Mother’s Day Robyn!! I really understand how you feel! I have four kids, ages 17, 13, 2 and 8 weeks. I look at my older girls and it is bittersweet knowing that they are about to start high school and college. I see my two youngest ones and it makes me long for the days when the older ones were little. I am definitely enjoying every moment while they are little this time around and my last few years of my older girls living at home. Tearing up now as rest my face on my little baby’s head taking in that sweet baby scent while he sleeps on my chest…

12 Robyn Wright May 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Okay, now you made me tear up reading your comment. Love that little baby scent and how they are just so content to lay there on you and sleep. {{HUGS}}

13 Ravzie May 12, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Happy Mothers Day, Robyn. (((((Hugs)))))

14 Robin May 13, 2013 at 5:51 am

Your post is so sweet. Maybe someday you will have grand-kids and can share the Disney magic with their little hearts!

15 Anne Parris May 13, 2013 at 6:16 am

It must have been especially difficult over Mother’s Day. I rode the monorail with two other attendees who were there without their family and they said it was tough.
While we had our 2 daughters with us, I had a few sad moments at places we’d had fun at with all four of our kids previously. I don’t know who gave these kids permission to grow up why we are still so young.

16 Michelle M May 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Oh I am NOT looking forward to that stage at all. I mean, I kind of am for the independence and achievements the wee ones will have made by then, but oh the lack of the constant feeling of FAMILY will be hard. My heart aches for your, Robyn. Next time, I’ll be your family ;)

17 Kathleen May 16, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I spend so much of my day wishing I could get away from my boys (who are 5 and 2) just for a little while to recharge. Thank you for reminding me to enjoy and savor these fleeting moments. I’m sorry you were feeling down; I’m sure it’s something I’ll experience one day too, missing these long days with my kids.

18 rajean May 31, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Robyn, I missed this post, but I understand and have many friends in the same boat. I’d be there too, except, I have later-in-life kids to add to my young adult kids. Funny, we’re planning a Disney trip for the fall and my 22 yo daughter is, I think, the most excited. The last time she was there she was 13. Many of my friends are new grandparents or will be soon. I *hear* that is magical so at some point, in your future, I hope you’ll see Disney with a new set of eyes, and um, of course, ears!