Instagram is a social network that allows you to share photos as they happen (or later) with your friends and family. I have been using it for a long time now and I really enjoy it. Not only is it fun to share my own photographs, but I really like looking at other people’s photographs too. Here are a few things you should know about Instagram for this week’s Tech Tuesday post.
- Instagram is free to join. You register for your account via the app on your device
- You can view your Instagram account, or any public account, on the Instagram site by going to instagram.com/usernamehere You can NOT upload photos here though.
- You may make your Instagram account private so that only those you follow can see your photographs. If you leave it non-private your photographs are available to everyone. I personally have an open account, I just do not post any photos I would not want to share with the world.
- Instagram has a location function available also. If you do not want people to know where you are when taking photos turn this off. If you are at a public place or event and want to share the location, turn it on.
- Many use hashtags (#) on Instagram to share a common theme.
- You can share your photographs as you upload them to other social networks like Facebook and Twitter
- There are some filters built in to the apps that let you modify your photos before sharing. You can also modify them with other apps and then upload to Instagram.
- People generally do not re-share others’ photos
- iOS users (iPhones, iPads, etc.) can download the free Instagram app in the iTunes store
- Android users can download the free Instagram app in the Google Play store
- Windows Phone users do not have an “official Instagram app” YET (I think it’s coming), but there are a few apps available in the Windows Store. I personally like the Instance app to use Instagram on my Windows Phone (I have a Nokia Lumia 920 currently). I can upload photos to Instagram with this app. It is $1.49 (as of Jan 18, 2013) but well worth the price I think.
- Instagram has their own blog which shares some really interesting content from users along with tips and news.
- Webstagram is a site that also lets you view Instagram photos and some extra tools like searching.
- If you do not have a smartphone or tablet, or you just want a way to use Instagram on your desktop or laptop, you can use a program called BlueStacks. This program will allow you to then “install” Instagram on your computer and even upload photos this way. This is a slow and clunky way, but it does work. It is a bit technically challenging to set up the Instagram app and the photos.
- Feel free to follow me on Instagram – RobynsWorld and let me know who you are (your username) so I can follow you also!
Are you already using Instagram? What do you love about it?
© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.