What Women Want in Communication [infographic]

by Robyn Wright on June 1, 2013

in Tech

infographics logoThis week for the Saturday Infographic I found one about what women want in communication. I fall in the smaller minority groups on many of these areas since I love communicating with tech. What about you? Where do you fall?

© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Robin June 2, 2013 at 5:31 am

Very interesting! I seem to agree with the majority in most of the surveys quoted in the infographic…especially the “what’s acceptable in social media” consensus…

2 Robyn Wright June 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Glad you liked the infographic Robin!

3 Jane m June 2, 2013 at 5:47 am

I agree no technology at the dinner table, this info graphic reminds me of the Verizon.twitter chats

4 Robyn Wright June 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

It reminded me of the #VZWBuzz chats we have had too!

5 tannawings June 2, 2013 at 11:29 am

I like technology but believe there is a time to unplug and just be present. I see way too many people in real live conversations not even saying ‘excusee me’ to take calls etc. I have yet to understand how a phone ringing trumps a real person with the exception of a possible emergency. I do agree with the majority of the infographic though regarding tech at tables.

6 Robyn Wright June 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I agree, many do not even say excuse me and it makes me a little nuts too. Now when I am at blogging conferences and events we all know that we are texting and doing event related things there and it is normal to see us all doing that. However, in non social media events I do not expect people to ignore each other at the same table.

7 Lyn June 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I’m sure I’m one of the older ones here, but I still prefer to communicate with my family via phone, although I do e-mail some online friends and occasionally check my daughter’s Facebook page just to see pics she has posted, etc. when she tells me there are new ones up there. Because I feel like she needs her own space, I never post there – although I’m sure she wouldn’t mind. As for all of the ‘tech gadgets’…. gosh it’s hard for us oldies to keep up! Sometimes I feel like I’m fighting my way out of a maze with no exit. Just when I think I half-way understand something, something new comes along and I’m back in that maze. LOL My husband would prefer to throw his cell phone away, but I’ve found that technology fantastic when I need to call him to pick up something else at the store, etc. And we have the new smart phones(Verizon saw us coming LOL), but what do we do with them? I’m sure he has never taken a picture and I’ve tried only a few just to see if I could do it. Forget texting and aps (although my daughter loaded a few to our phones). Music, games – no. We have tried the GPS feature and I’m sure when we get adept at that, we’ll enjoy that feature. Oh and the alarm feature. I have that down pat…if I can remember to click on the days of the week that I want it. :o)

8 Robyn Wright June 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm

It can be hard to keep up at any age. My dad got an iPad not too long ago and he struggles a bit with technology. For him, I teach him just one or two new things at a time. This really seems to help him get the hang of tech without feeling overwhelmed by it all.

9 Naomi Shapiro June 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m actually not a phone chatter, never have been. I prefer a quick message or a real-life conversation!

10 Robyn Wright June 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I used to love the telephone, but now it just seems odd to me to talk on it most of the time.

11 TheAngelForever June 2, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I think it’s interesting to read this. When I was in college, I loved using the phone and would talk for hours with people. I never really used text messaging much since I did not have a cell phone during that time. My smart phone and social media life have changed a lot. My phone is a connection of me and helps me to stay on top of things with the kids at school, work, and more. Now I rarely talk on my phone. The weekends and nights seem to be my time to step away from things a bit, but I do check in from time to time. My kids play and always ask me to snap a picture because it is part of their world and they like looking back at the memories.

12 Robyn Wright June 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

I remember using the phone to talk for hours before also. Amazing how much things have changed. I’m just like you with the phone being an extension of me now.

13 slehan June 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I prefer to talk to people in person, then the phone, then email if I have to send something lasting. Texting and FB are not good communication tools in my world.

14 Robyn Wright June 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

At least we all have a lot of options these days

15 Rich Becker June 3, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This is really a great snapshot for anyone tracking social media. It also makes me wonder where we might be next year or in five years as these convictions continue to wax and wane. I love that social media is not clear cut nor even guaranteed to exist its present form.

16 Robyn Wright June 6, 2013 at 9:51 am

Agreed that things will continue to change. I think we may see more folks finally start using video chat, like Skype, as connections continue to improve and apps on computers, phones, and even smart TVs make it simpler for all to use.

17 Pam Murphy,M.S.,RRT June 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I don’t talk on the phone much but I am a big texter! Love discussions on Twitter(@Peties_Pam ) and Facebook (thePamMurphy). I love technology but when I go out to eat with someone it’s time to unplug. Very interesting infographic!

18 Robyn Wright June 6, 2013 at 9:51 am

You know me, I love me some Twitter talk too!

19 terrik June 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I prefer telephone conversations and email for personal communication about important things, mostly because I can be more precise and it’s less open to misunderstandings than texting. Twitter is a whole different kind of communication, and facebook different still. My communities on twitter and facebook are so different, but there are people on each with whom I only communicate via those platforms.

20 Robyn Wright June 6, 2013 at 9:52 am

It is interesting how differently the conversations go on different social networks. I think you are smart to do in person conversations for sensitive subjects!

21 Ravzie June 5, 2013 at 8:43 am

I, too, am old fashioned, I suppose. I’d rather actually talk to people.

22 Dacy Gillespie June 23, 2013 at 9:02 am

I may be in the minority – I actually much prefer email and texting over phone calls – maybe because I’m an introvert?