Speak Up About Hearing Loss [infographic]

by Robyn Wright on September 7, 2013

infographics logoAnother infographic about hearing loss this Saturday. My dad has hearing loss, my husband has hearing loss, and I even have some hearing loss! There is a lot of “what” and “huh” happening in our family. We have been trying some products which I will be writing about soon too.

For now though, I wanted to share this infographic that talks about how hearing impacts our lives in more ways than we even think. This infographic is from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Do you or your family members suffer from hearing loss?

speak up about hearing loss

© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Robin September 8, 2013 at 5:23 am

My grandfather suffered from hearing loss, and I definitely agree that it has a detrimental effect on family relationships. Thanks for sharing.

2 SheilaV September 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Important to bring awareness to this. We struggle with this in our family as my mother has been in denial of hearing problem for a long time. She mis-hears things or guesses and it results in misunderstandings and family discord. I sent her to a doctor once for it, but she wasn’t honest, so she came home with no help. Some people feel hearing aids are a stigma. No one thinks anything of them. And besides they come in many new designs and colors. Hearing loss is not something to be ashamed of. But if you do not hear something properly and respond incorrectly, that could put in in a very embarrassing situation.

3 Robyn Wright September 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm

It is very hard when folks will not talk to the doctor about it honestly. I will work on trying to find more resources on working with older parents to get them to address the issue and share here on the blog.

4 Ravzie September 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Plus remember that people speaking too loudly may have hearing loss.

5 Robyn Wright September 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Yes! My dad is like that!

6 Andrea B. September 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I liked this on FB earlier and hope my mom sees it. She’s definitely suffering and hasn’t addressed it yet. :( It’s frustrating, for her, certainly, and I wish I could magically make it better!

7 Robyn Wright September 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Andrea I just mentioned to SheilaV in another comment that I will be looking for some resources to help those of us with older parents who are struggling with this and will share on my blog for sure!