This package photo does NOT make me want to buy this product

by Robyn Wright on October 9, 2013

The other day I took T to the Walgreens Healthcare Clinic because our regular doctor’s office could not fit him in (T called too late in the day). He is fine – nothing serious. Anyway, while we were there I noticed this package in a display right in front of the pharmacy and I had to share it with you all.

Odd Packaging Picture

Now I have blogged about neti pots in the past – Hubby swears by his. They can be great for many people. But this photo on the package for this one does not make me want to buy this product at all!

The water coming out of the nose is just gross looking based on principal. On top of that though it is so odd because the model seems very happy about it all. Just weird.

What do you think about the photo? How much does packaging impact whether or not you buy a product?

© 2013, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 MomMaven October 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Ewww that just looks nasty! I would’t buy it either.

2 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Yep – just put the product on the box, no need for the waterfall LOL

3 gkran October 9, 2013 at 10:24 pm

It looks like a snot waterfall.

4 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Agreed!

5 Natalie J. Vandenberghe October 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I can’t remember the last time I’ve laughed so hard! As soon as I saw the pic, I called my son up to show him. He just had sinus surgery up at OHSU this summer, so he knows (I had to resist the urge to write “nose” LOL) all about this type of thing! Thanks for the laugh!

6 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

So glad you got a laugh from this Natalie! I just can’t resist not sharing when I see stuff like this in the stores. I hope your son’s sinus surgery went well and he is all fixed up now!

7 tannawings October 9, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Whatever advertising genius thought that was a good picture really needs a second opinion.It doesnt even make good sense- if you put water up your nostril it comes out of the same one doesnt it? Thats just odd.

8 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm

No, it does actually come out the other side. When you use a netipot you put it in nostril and it flows up through sinus cavity and then out the other nostril – you lean your head so that the netipot nostril is up higher.

9 gweiss36 October 10, 2013 at 5:08 am

Oh my! That is vile!

10 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Yep!

11 Robin October 10, 2013 at 5:53 am

I agree with you about this product. Packaging definitely has an impact on my purchasing behavior; I know packages can be deceptive, but it’s hard to get excited about eating or using something that does not have an appealing image on the box.

12 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Exactly! There are lots of other netipot products with photos on the box, but none like this. Eek!

13 Ravzie October 10, 2013 at 7:57 am

Is that for real??? That woman looks so happy! I just don’t see me doing a nasal wash at any time. Eww.

14 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I promise it is very much for real. I took the photo at Walgreens the other day while we were waiting for T’s prescription to be filled. Crazy!

15 alas3lads October 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

Ewww! You are right, that is totally gross. As someone who has had nasal surgery and definitely knows the benefits of nasal washing, I still have to agree that this packaging would not make me want to buy it. Who the heck was in charge of that marketing, LOL! Seriously, nasal washing helped me so much and I think it’s very beneficial to a lot of people. But, it is not accomplished while standing there smiling:)

16 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

LOL – agreed. Hubby does this often, but I’ve never seen him be smiley about it during the process.

17 Heidi Back October 10, 2013 at 8:30 am

Oh that is hilarious. I needed a good laugh this morning :D
The water is so clean looking too, looks like they could sell it as filtered water. LOL

18 Robyn Wright October 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Glad it tickled your funny bone this morning Heidi :-)

19 Tiffany C October 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hahah, I’ve never seen this in the store, that’s hilarious! I love the model’s face, like “I’m not kidding, I love doing this” I rather use the Nose Frida my kids use…I wonder if there’s an adult version of that?

20 Robyn Wright October 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I have never heard of Nose Frida – what is it?

21 Tiffany C October 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm

We use that when my daughters’ nose gets congested, basically like a suction but you utilize your mouth like a suction and you poke it inside her nose to get the gunk out. There’s a filter to catch all of it and you can just rinse out the gunk. It’s on fridababy.com!