For a mom, traveling without kids is just like trying to make a phone call

by Robyn Wright on July 31, 2014

Have you noticed that the house will be quiet, kids are playing nicely, hubby is busy on a project, the pets do not need anything, and you actually have a free Needy babymoment to make a much needed phone call. You pick up the phone…dial the number…they answer…you get less than one sentence out…and then…

Mom!

Hey mom can I ____?

Honey where are my keys?

Woof! Bark?! Meow!!!

inside my head SHUT UP!!!!of course I don’t say that out loud, instead I try to ignore things or transfer their attention to something shiny to distract them until I’m done…

This is kind of what happens to me when I’m traveling for work too. I’m in the middle of presentations, meetings, dinners, etc and Hubby and T are both texting me with the current chaos, problems, and other things. Now I love them and I want to be there but it seems it is always when I’m at a point that I really cannot stop what I’m doing to deal with those things instantly. Then they feel like I’m ignoring them, which I am not, they just do not understand what I do I think.

Has this happened to you? Can you relate?

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 sgumer July 31, 2014 at 9:08 pm

i have been there. i have learned to tune certain things out. meditation has helped me with this a lot and i have learned to stay calm.

2 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm

My usual response via text to them is “I love you” and that’s it :-)

3 Jane m July 31, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Oh my gosh my husband does this to me all the time. What makes it worse is I will not talk on phone via Bluetooth while driving. I just let the phone ring, you would think he d understand, but not a chance. I them have to hear how worried he got. It’s just not fair, no matter how much I try to explain there’s a time and place for everything he gets so angry.

4 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Men!

5 Leela August 1, 2014 at 12:55 am

Every day and night..

6 Robin August 1, 2014 at 7:15 am

Of course. Kids (and crises) have impeccable timing. I sometimes rely on the “sorry, I didn’t realize my phone was off” excuse for “missing” calls (though I don’t use texting, so that may not work for you).

7 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yep, texting excuses like my phone was on silent, etc. do sometimes work :)

8 coupontammy August 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I think the kids and hubby have some kind of radar that let’s them know when I pick up the phone or think to myself that I have one minute to myself. It’s like bells and whistles go off and then my cellphone starts to blow up or voices are screaming through the house calling for mom! Who is this mom person! Give the poor woman a break!
So yes I think I know exactly what you are talking about. Some days mom is a four letter word! :)

9 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

LOL!

10 tannawings August 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Thats happening all over for as long as Moms have had something else to do (or are doing) and their attention is focused elsewhere. I dont know why. Its always an emergency as they cant figure out suddenly how to do the most simple tasks. It drives me bananas.

11 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm

At least we know they need us moms

12 leslie j August 31, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Oh my gosh. Work is worse than family. I no more than leave and already I have children calling me 20 minutes later.