Boomerang Kids [infographic]

by Robyn Wright on August 2, 2014

in Living,robynsonlineworld

infographics logoWell, it is official. My son has moved back home. I did not think this was going to happen but we shall try and make the best of it. For this week’s infographic I found something about what they call “boomerang kids”, the adult kids who move back home.

Do you have boomerang kids or are you one yourself? Any advice for our family?

Boomerang Kids Infographic

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Jenni August 2, 2014 at 6:47 pm

My son lives with us after completing college in May. He does have a job and it pays pretty well. The catch is, he pays us rent. This covers some of his food, cell phone, car insurance, use of our cars and gas and his room and board. We feel it’s helpful for him to learn money management and responsibility. He is saving for a car and to move out on his own, eventually. It’s not the easiest thing we’ve done, but I feel he’s more respectful than when he was just home for school breaks. Good luck!!! I’m happy to share more info if you need it!

2 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Jenni – rent is definitely being paid here too. We are actually saving it so when he moves out he has a small nest egg to use for a deposit and moving expenses.

3 coupontammy August 2, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I found this infographic interesting. I know of several boomerang kids. Most of them are returning to college or are still in college. Our situation is different because mu mother moved in with my sister. She needed more help around the house and someone to help take care of her. My sister is a better woman then I am.

4 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Taking care of older parents is definitely a big thing these days. It has an entirely different set of circumstances too. Sending lots of positive thoughts for your family.

5 Robin August 3, 2014 at 6:28 am

We aren’t at the point of having boomerang kids yet, but I know it’s quite common.
The situation seems to work best when the “kid” pays rent and/or utilities and there is a time limit set before he/she is “kicked out”…but I’m no expert on this.
Thanks for sharing the infographic.

6 Robyn Wright August 3, 2014 at 4:17 pm

We have rent and a firm exit date :-)

7 tannawings August 4, 2014 at 12:54 am

I know plenty of boomerang kids. I also know plenty of boomerrang older adults 30+ and a number are 50ish. None ar ‘teking care’ of parents, and some are better than others that do the right thing by paying rent or if they cant they take over the household chores.

8 sgumer August 4, 2014 at 8:26 pm

i do not have a boomerang kid yet. they are too young and have never left. i was not one of those. the only time i moved back was when i got a new job and had to wait a couple of months for my house to close.

9 Robyn Wright August 30, 2014 at 11:00 am

Yep, those housing transition times don’t count. Lots of folks do that.

10 pricousins August 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

my daughter has recently come home. She’s pregnant so there is a lot of stress associated with this return!

11 Robyn Wright August 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

I’m sure there must be. All you all can do is make the best of the situation though. I hope things work out well for all of you.

12 Leslie J August 31, 2014 at 8:30 pm

When I was diagnosed with cancer and had to stay in KS while my husband was in Houston, he stayed with his mom to help her and his grandmother and raise our two small children. He’s an amazing man and they all help each other out!