Halloween Decorating with Kids

by Robyn Wright on October 8, 2014

halloween decorating with kids

halloween decorating with kids - product buying guide

Halloween and kids just go together so well, like spiders and their webs! While we may see tons of fancy Halloween decorations on Pinterest, generally those are not kid-friendly projects. This year keep things a little simpler and really include the kids in decorating for Halloween. Remember that the end result is not always the goal when spending time with our kids on projects like this, it is more about the time spent together and the memories made.

I’m working with BOOMbox Network (#BBNshops) right now and we have a great roundup of simple items that can make Halloween decorating with the kids a spooktacular event for the entire family. Please note that the links below are affiliate links and I have been compensated for sharing this information.

1. Spiderweb lights – Decorating your exterior is the first step. Throw up 5-6 of these spiderweb lights from Target. Not too scary for the little ones, but still cool enough for the older kids.
  2. Spiderweb gun – For the kids who get tired of crafts and want to stir up a little mayhem. This requires a little more work but you can create giant realistic spider webs anywhere. From the Halloween experts at Spirit Halloween.
  3. Vinyl tablecloth – These are so handy, they can add instant color and pop for your Halloween tablescapes and they are also great for protecting your table while you carve pumpkins. I pick up a couple of them each year. Kohls has a nice selection.
  4. Pumpkin Carving – Save your good knives with this pumpkin carving set from Spirit Halloween. Pumpkin scooper – It’s the scooping that will really do you in, save yourself via Spirit Halloween. Jack O’Lantern stickers – For your small ones, so they don’t get frustrated with the cutting, also from Spirit Halloween. Pumpkin power saw – Be sure to supervise, but this gadget may keep your big kids engaged. How many times have the grownups wound up still carving, long after kids have moved on to something new? Thank you, Spirit Halloween!
  5. Spooky hand towel – You’ll need to clean up after those goopy pumpkins, via Kohls. These are perfect to use in your bathroom throughout October for cute Halloween décor.
  6. Orange plates – Feed your trick or treaters on Halloween colors, via Walmart. Compostable utensils from Abe’s Market – It’s always a good time to respect the planet. You’re going to generate enough trash with candy wrappers tonight!
  7. Alexander McQueen skull scarf – From Nordstrom, for Mom, as a thank you for all her work, and to wear trick-or-treating with her little hobgoblins. I love this for wearing to work on Halloween too to give a little bit of whimsy but still not a full costume.

What kinds of decorating do you do with the kids on Halloween?

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Boombox Network . This post contains affiliate links.

Comment and Win Giveaway - Ends December 15, 2014

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Robin October 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

Awesome stuff–very nice scarf! I really like the spiderweb lights too. We are heading to the pumpkin patch this weekend to pick out some to carve into jack-o-lanterns.

2 Robyn Wright October 13, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Hope you had a great time at the pumpkin patch!

3 Richard Hicks October 9, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Lots of great décorations for Halloween to do with the kids

4 AngelaLilly October 11, 2014 at 8:05 am

I don’t have kids, but Halloween is my and my hubby’s fav holiday of the year. Hubby is a home haunter and always does a HUGE display in our yard/driveway for the kids on Trick-or-treat. If you are interested in seeing what he does, you can check out his YouTube channel, Nynekats, and see videos of our past years’ haunts. They are so much fun! We also decorate inside with tons of stuff just for us to enjoy. LOVE IT!

5 Robyn Wright October 13, 2014 at 5:47 pm

OMG he does an awesome job! I just watched this one http://youtu.be/nEJLggnkgQY LOVE IT!

6 AngelaLilly October 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

ZOMG thank you! What a nice comment you left him too! TOTALLY made his morning! :-D Did you watch any of the others? Last year ( the one you watched ) was great but he is most proud of the one he did a few years ago that was themed on the classic movie “Psycho.” Did you see that one by chance? No pressure AT ALL ..just curious. :-D This year he is doing a serial killer/swamp theme display. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together on Trick-or-Treat Halloween night!

7 Andrea B. October 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I love this “collage” of ideas. I have to get my Halloween stuff out and get ready to start decorating – and fast! It’ll be here before we know it!

8 Robyn Wright October 13, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Yes it will – just a couple of weeks!

9 'N D O Tek No October 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Some of these might work for my TRUNK or TREAT we have coming up soon! Thanks.

10 Robyn Wright October 13, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I’ve never done a trunk or treat – even though my son is grown up I may have to try participating in a local one anyway.

11 andrea_h October 13, 2014 at 7:34 pm

We don’t do a lot of decorating for Halloween. My boys are a bit older now and don’t enjoy helping me decorate unfortunately.

12 Robyn Wright October 28, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I went through a phase like that @andrea_h:disqus when my son was older and not into decorating, but now I decorate for the holidays because I like it – plus this way I don’t have to please anyone else but me with my choices :-)

13 VANESSA October 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the pumpkin carving tips and tools I was wondering where to get the best tools that wont break.

14 Robyn Wright October 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm

The little tool kits are handy, but you are right that they do break fairly easily. Back when I was a kid our parents just gave us regular kitchen knives to carve our pumpkins with.