Must-Have Productivity Apps for Bloggers and Social Media Professionals

by Robyn Wright on October 30, 2014

in Social Media,Tech

Productivity Apps for Bloggers  |  RobynsOnlineWorld.com

You all know how I love apps of all kinds, but I am often asked about apps for bloggers and social media folks like myself. The following are all apps I use on a variety of smartphones and tablets for my social media work.

• OneDrive

This is my number one go to app for work. OneDrive is Microsoft’s cloud service and I put everything in it! I use the OneDrive app on my desktop, Surface Pro 3 tablet, Nokia 2520 tablet, Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet, Nokia Lumia Icon smartphone, and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone. Disclosure: I am a Microsoft Blogger and receive various products and perks as a part of that but I really do use this and love it.

• OneNote

Another fabulous Microsoft app is OneNote which is kind of like a big digital 3-ring binder that I can create sections and pages in. I love that I can snip content from online easily and send it right to whatever section I want. This comes in really handy for reports I need to do on social media. OneNote is also where I have notes on all sorts of content ideas, business trips, and even my family/home needs. I use the OneDrive app on my desktop, Surface Pro 3 tablet, Nokia 2520 tablet, Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet, Nokia Lumia Icon smartphone, and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone.

• WordPress

I do not usually blog from my smartphone, but occasionally the need arises. For this I use the WordPress app for Android devices on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. It is definitely not as easy and as functional as working on a computer or tablet to blog, but in a pinch it is handy to have with me.

• Device Shot

Because I do write about apps often I use Device Shot on my Nokia Lumia Icon to put a nice “face” of my device around screenshots of apps.

• Doorstep

As a blogger I receive and send a good deal of packages from all different shipping companies. Doorstep is for Windows devices and it lets me track them all in one app easily and helps keep my shipping organized. I use this on my Nokia Lumia Icon.

• Trello

If you are working on a team or group for anything Trello lets you stay organized on all the tasks easily. You can drag and drop items from the “To Do”, “Doing” and “Done” columns and assign things to different members. I use Trello on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet.

• Outlook Web App for Android

On my Windows based devices I use the built in functions that sync my Outlook email and calendar but I also like to have access on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone just in case. For this I use Outlook Web App for Android (OWA). This app is in pre-release still but I have been using it for a while and it actually works really well.

• Hootsuite

On my android devices I use Hootsuite to help manage social media, especially Twitter. This lets me see all my different tabs and columns for different social media accounts easily. I am anxiously awaiting a Hootsuite app for my Windows Phone too.

Did you learn of any new apps to try from this post? What productivity apps do you use for blogging and social media on your smartphones and tablets?

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 coupontammy October 30, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Some of these would be useful for us also. I need to get the Doorstep app. We have a package delivered almost everyday. My husband gets a lot of items ship to the house for work. Plus he is a bit of a shopaholic. :) Thanks for sharing this app. I haven’t heard of it.

2 tannawings October 31, 2014 at 2:01 am

I am always interested in what bloggers use and how they do things. It is fascinating. I know you are probably more tech savvy than a few and seeing the apps you use is fun. I like the idea of Trello. Hubby is a carpenter and this might be useful for him.

3 Kelster October 31, 2014 at 10:06 am

I have been looking for something similar to OneNote. I need to check it out. There are a couple on this list that are new to me too – Doorstep and Trello.

4 Robin November 1, 2014 at 9:05 am

Trello, Doorstep, and Device Shot are all new to me. I use Wunderlist and Evernote to create lists, but neither are completely satisfactory, so maybe I’ll try Trello. I swear you know every app that exists!

5 amethystmoon November 2, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for sharing. I’m always looking for apps to help me be more productive.

6 andymedders November 2, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I’m currently reviewing a Windows Phone and am struggling to find useful apps, especially in the productivity department. Device Shot sounds interesting and I’ll have to download the trail version shortly, but so far I’ve only really been happy that there is an Evernote app on WP. I too would love to see Hootsuite for Windows Phone, but it and so many other apps seem to be absent from this ecosystem. It makes it hard to consider switching from a more evolved platform that has apps that are already integrated across multiple computing devices.

For blogging I jot down ideas in Evernote and for the times I have to use my phone to blog it’s best to use the WordPress app that than web browser. I mostly write about smartphones so the screenshots and pictures of phones that I take with a smartphone get uploaded to my Google Drive where I can access them from the Chromebook that I use for a better blogging experience.

In the social media department, I use Sharing-Agent or Everypost to share the same content like a recent article across multiple social media sites at once. Hootsuite comes in very handy when I am trying to keep up with your latest #VZWBuzz party. I have a special set of tabs for following your crew and the hashtag.

7 Robyn Wright January 19, 2015 at 5:56 pm

There are more and more of the already popular apps coming to Windows Phone as they continue to grow. Unfortunately they are low man on the totem poll. Most developers start with iOS, then Android, and then Windows Phone.

8 AngelaLilly November 5, 2014 at 9:58 am

Wow. Out of all of these, I have only heard of WordPress. I am getting educated up in here today! LOL

9 Carol Roberts clark January 19, 2015 at 3:27 pm

never heard of some of em lots to now when you blog i wish someone had a program that helped you probably do but i havnt heard of it thanks

10 Robyn Wright January 19, 2015 at 5:54 pm

A program for help in what specific area?

11 Carol Roberts clark January 19, 2015 at 11:14 pm

just the basic i suppose what is the best program to begin with and what are the do’s and donts

12 Dawn Schamp-Monzu April 4, 2015 at 7:54 pm

I had no idea they had so many different apps for these things! I want to start blogging so bad, but I don’t know if I could keep up with it! Thank you for this info though.