Where to find free and low-cost stock images for bloggers

by Robyn Wright on November 6, 2014

in Social Media

Many years ago it was a fairly accepted, but wrong, practice for bloggers to do a search on Bing or Google for images that they wanted to use on a blog post. If you are still doing this – stop! Here are a few of the free and low-cost options I use regularly.

• Graphic Leftovers
    This is a great source for high quality stock images. I use this more than any other and always find several options. Most of the images I purchase are just $1-$2 each. Graphic Leftovers is free to join and then you can just deposit the funds you want into your account. They do have a small collection of free stock images and vectors available.

graphic leftovers

• morgueFile
    These are all free stock images. The variety is a little less and some images are not as great as others but still a good resource. These images must be modified to use on your blog or contact the image owner and provide a byline.

morgueFile samples

• Public Domain Images
    This site has all public domain images that are free for any personal or commercial use. There are no copyrights and no rights reserved to the images. The current gallery contains 18,857 images for you to use.

public domain images samples

Do you have any other free or low-cost image resources…and legal?

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Robin November 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Well, morgueFile is kind of a creepy name, but I’ll look into what they have available. I’m sure I don’t know of any others that you aren’t already aware of!

2 Robyn Wright November 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm

morgueFile actually gives an explanation of the name on their site :-)

3 Christina Gleason November 6, 2014 at 4:45 pm

You should definitely check out Death to the Stock Photo. They send you free stock photos once a month. The catch is that they may or may not be useful to you, and you can’t just search for photos online. You get what they send you. I guess they do have a premium option now that allows you online access to their photo database, but the free ones are just an email subscription.

4 melinda November 7, 2014 at 7:12 am

gratisography has some really unique images

5 AngelaLilly November 7, 2014 at 8:46 am

I just always use my own or clipart that came with my PC. LOL! These are great options though! :-D

6 Karen Goodman November 10, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I’m always looking for new places to find free royalty-free photos. Thanks for pointing me to these resources. I added 2 of them to my bookmarks. My current favorite is http://pixabay.com/. But I also find pictures on: http://picjumbo.com/, https://500px.com/creativecommons and http://www.freeimages.com/.

7 Carolyn Barnett January 29, 2015 at 10:39 pm

This is what I need for my blog .thank you for letting me know .