Infographic: How To Carve Up Your Thanksgiving Calories

by Robyn Wright on November 23, 2014

in Food

infographics logoThis Thursday most of us will sit down to an enormous amount of food on the table and throw caution to the wind with what we eat. To help myself, and all of you, I found this infographic which gives us an idea of the size of the portions we should be taking and approximate calories. Even if you do want to indulge more than 500-700 calories at your Thanksgiving meal you can still be more reasonable than the American average of 3,000 calories of a Thanksgiving dinner. Be careful with things like casseroles which tend to have a lot more calories than average side items. Also, those sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top are yummy, but think of them more as a dessert instead of a vegetable.

Do you try to watch your portions or calories on Thanksgiving or do you just not worry about it on this special day? What is your favorite high calorie and low calorie item on the Thanksgiving menu?

Infographic: How to Carve Up Your Thanksgiving Calories

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Richard Hicks November 23, 2014 at 10:39 pm

This is interesting. Only 700 for men, I can see my plate getting close to 2000. LOL!

2 Christie November 24, 2014 at 7:44 am

I like the advice to keep your plate full of fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains. It can be a challenge for Thanksgiving, too many temptations.

3 Robin November 24, 2014 at 9:48 am

I do try to watch my calories. Fortunately, I love vegetables and cranberry sauce…unfortunately, I also really love pie!

4 AngelaLilly November 24, 2014 at 11:26 am

Thanksgiving is the one meal a year where I just eat myself sick. LOL! I refuse to stress out over calories or being healthy for this one day. I just want to enjoy the day with my family and truly savor the delicious tastes of all the foods I only get this one day a year without feeling guilty. My favorite items on the menu are our veggie sausage dressing, our Quorn Turk’y Roast with vegetarian gravy, and our homemade, organic mac n’ cheese!

5 tannawings November 25, 2014 at 1:00 am

I dont much worry about calories on Thanksgiving too much. I think one of my favorite foods s the cranberry salad (or whatever it is in that darn can) I can eat it with anything and do :) I make sweet potatoes and yep its more like dessert on the plate than anything else!

6 coupontammy November 25, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I usually try to be careful about how much I eat on Thanksgiving. Since I do all the cooking it helps. I know what is going into everything. We always use fat free or reduced calorie items in our house, so we can keep it healthy and delicious at the same time. My only weakness is the sweet pototes with those yummy marshmellows. :)