Must-Have Items For Bloggers Who Travel

by Robyn Wright on November 20, 2014

in Social Media

Travel Must-Haves for Bloggers

Traveling has become a part of my job in social media. I go on trips for brands and attended conferences fairly often. Whenever I am getting ready to go on a trip I often see other bloggers wondering what they should bring or not. I thought I would share a few of my must-haves when I travel as a blogger.

• Laptop or Tablet
    I am traveling with my Surface Pro 3 tablet these days which can completely replace a laptop for me (love it). Not all tablets can replace laptops though. Find a lightweight laptop or tablet though that has enough power to perform the tasks you need and that has a decent battery life since you never know where those plugs will be or not. Remember your power cords.
  • Smartphone
    Honestly I feel that a smartphone is crucial for anyone in social media. If you have not yet upgraded to a smartphone, do it now! Which one you get is up to your needs and wants but there are plenty to select from. Remember your power cord for charging up overnight.
  • Portable Battery Pack
    Having that extra battery pack that can charge up your phone or tablet on the go is a lifesaver when you are traveling. Delays at airports and a lack of plugs at most airports are a royal pain. Having a battery pack makes life easier for you, trust me!
  • Comfy Shoes
    I don’t think I have ever been on a trip for work that I didn’t have to walk a lot. Pack shoes that are comfy. Ladies, I know we love high heels, but make sure you can stand walking on them for hours before packing them. At least have some flats also in case your feet do get tired.
  • Business Casual
    This term of biz casual really means so many different things for so many different people now but for clothes pack things that you would wear if you were meeting with a client. For some this might be nice jeans and a shirt, others it may be dress slacks and a nice blouse. Be prepared for dinners out at nice places as well.
  • Nippy Bottles
    If you are a drinker get those little nippy bottles of booze at home. They are only $1-$2 each usually at your local store but on an airplane they will be $7 or more! You can pack this in your liquids bag for going thru security with no problems.
  • Cash and Credit Card
    Bring some cash, in low denominations, for tipping at the airport, hotel, etc. Also be sure to have a credit card for hotels even if your room is being paid for by someone else. Most hotels require you to give them a credit card that they place a hold on for incidentals. Just have one that you use for travel alone.

What are the items you take when you travel for work?

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 coupontammy November 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

These are great tips! I like the one about Nippy bottles. Lol I hate when people say business casual. I worked at one place where that meant wear jeans instead of shorts. :)

2 Robyn Wright December 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Yes biz casual has so many different meanings!

3 AngelaLilly November 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

I don’t work or travel, so….LOL! I will say this though – I had never heard those mini bottles of booze called “nippy bottles” before. So cute!

4 Robyn Wright December 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I think I first heard them called that by Rachel Ray actually. She had said if you were cooking with alcohol and didn’t want to buy a big bottle then get the little nippy bottles.

5 AngelaLilly December 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

That is a great idea! Would totally make sense for me, too, as I don’t drink. Makes me think of my Smoked Gouda Fondue recipe that I make every Winter Solstice and it calls for a cup of white wine. I could totally buy one of those little bottles rather than a full sized bottle that then just sits in my fridge until the next time my mom visits and finishes it off. LOL

6 Robin November 21, 2014 at 10:14 am

I would much rather travel with a tablet than a laptop, and I would like to get one of those portable battery packs. I do wear comfortable shoes when traveling (and I pack heels for the cocktail party)!

7 Robyn Wright December 16, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I just started taking heels with me again this year!

8 Karen Goodman December 15, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I bought one of those battery packs for the BlogHer conference and have never actually used it. Lately though, I’ve found the that using GPS along with the app that lets me get into real estate listings (my day job) will wipe out the batter so much that I only get by because I plug in between houses. I need to remember to charge it up before I head out for a day of househunting.

Oh, and I had no idea you could bring the airplane size alcohol bottles in your liquids bag. It’s brilliant. Or even to pack a few if you are checking luggage…they won’t break and you could have a couple of cheap cocktails.

9 Robyn Wright December 16, 2014 at 5:04 pm

With being able to plugin to your car during your running around that helps for sure. When I travel I don’t have that obviously so the battery packs help a lot. Yep – fellow traveler told me about packing the little bottles while we were sitting waiting for a plane one day. You get the best tips from strangers some times!