Veterans Day and PTSD Infographic

by Robyn Wright on November 8, 2014

infographics logoOn Tuesday, November 11, we will celebrate Veterans Day which is a day for us to honor all who have served in the military. Thank those you know who have served, take a moment to honor those no longer with us, and participate in a Veterans Day activity in your own community.

For those of you reading this who are veterans,
THANK YOU!

Sadly, our veterans often suffer from mental health issues, especially Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). If you are a regular reader you know that I want to raise awareness and reduce stigma attached to any mental health issues. There are many veterans who do not seek help for PTSD because of the shame and stigma attached to it. This week’s infographic shares more information about veterans and PTSD to help educate you about this tragic issue. I shared this infographic last year, but I think it is worth repeating.

For anyone dealing with PTSD themselves or with a loved one I recommend visiting Living Thru Crisis which has resources you may find helpful.  Judy Davis (co-founder of Living Thru Crisis) also blogs at The Direction Diva which provides support for military families.

Were you aware of these statistics on veterans and PTSD?

Military PTSD:  Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

© 2014, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Judy Davis The Direction Diva November 8, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Robyn thanks so much for bringing to light such an important topic. Another great resource for those dealing with PTSD is Michelle Rosenthal at http://healmyptsd.com & http://changeyouchoose.com. she has great resources for military and civilian alike!

2 Richard Hicks November 8, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Lots of very good info here. Every little bit helps to spread awareness.

3 AngelaLilly November 9, 2014 at 9:31 am

1st: TYSM for all you do to help promote the healing and treatment of mental illness. As someone who has suffered and currently suffers from mental illness, I applaud your goals and work! 2nd: I have not seen this infographic or read these statistics before but I would not be surprised if they are the lower end of the spectrum of actual % due to the stigmas and low reporting of those who are ill. It makes me sad. 3rd: while I do not support most military actions and do not support war for moral and ethical reasons, I do support those who serve in the military because they are doing what they are either passionate about or being forced to do because they chose to serve our country. Either way, they deserve our respect for this service.

4 Robin November 9, 2014 at 10:40 am

A lot of my students are veterans of Iraq or Afghanistan who have been diagnosed with PTSD or other mental health issues. The statistics really are shocking. Thanks for sharing.

5 coupontammy November 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Robin, This is great information! I find it so sad that we as a country don’t do more to help our Veterans. I am not pro war, I am in support of all the men and women who protect our freedom everyday. You would think that our country would be able to do more. I hope everyone takes a moment tomorrow remember to say a prayer for all the Veterans we’ve lost and for all the ones still fighting.

6 Jenny Williams November 15, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Interesting infographic. In addition to the veterans, so many others have PTSD for so many other reasons, including my Rory.