Have You Been to the Doctor Lately?

by Robyn Wright on January 12, 2015

in Weight Loss

Have you been to the doctor lately? 9 tips to help you or a loved one  |  RobynsOnlineWorld.com
One of the things I used to do is not go to the doctor. I knew I was very unhealthy and frankly it embarrassed me to go to the doctor because of that. There are some of you reading this and shaking your head knowing exactly what I mean. {{{{HUGS}}} I really do understand that feeling.

It really is so important to go to the doctor though and get a checkup. You can do it though! You will feel so much better once you go to the doctor and talk to her (or him) about what is happening with you, letting them know about any problems, and getting some guidance on getting yourself healthier.

• Make an appointment
    That is really the first step. Call your doctor and make the appointment. Most insurance plans now will cover routine checkups at no co-pay cost even. If you do have a co-pay and money is an issue then save up for it. Your health is more important than going out to eat, buying a new game, or getting a new shirt.
  • Enlist the help of a friend
    Before I would make appointments and then on the day before I would call the office and make an excuse on why I could not make the appointment. If this sounds like you enlist the help of a good friend that you can confide in and let them know you need their help in getting you to the doctor’s appointment. Your friends and family love you! I promise they will help if you ask.
  • Make a list
    Either on a piece of paper, on your phone, or wherever start making a list. On this list put any issues you want to talk to the doctor about. Do you have an odd lump somewhere? Any recurring pains? Maybe an odd sensation at times? By writing all of these things down you can actually hand the list to the doctor if you are having problems talking to the doctor because you are embarrassed. I have been in this position too, I really do understand. Keep this list going and add to it as you think of things.
  • Plan on disrobing
    Wear clothing that is easy to get in and out of in case you need to disrobe. If you are very overweight and worried about those paper gowns take your own robe to wear or ask the nurse if they have larger sizes or if you can have a paper blanket to help cover yourself up. You can write a note about these things and hand it to the nurse if you are uncomfortable too. You could also call ahead of time and ask if they have special garments for larger people too.
  • Plan for blood tests
    Doctors check so many things with blood tests these days. It can give them a good guideline of your overall health. Drink plenty of water before your visit to be hydrated which makes it easier for the phlebotomist to draw blood. If you are very afraid of needles have someone there to hold your hand and talk to you while they are drawing the blood. Many blood tests require fasting so if you want to plan ahead make your doctor’s appointment first thing in the morning and fast for 10-12 hours before your appointment so you can get the blood work done right away too.
  • Make notes during the visit
    If it has been a while since you have been and you have a lot to talk about take something to take notes with. You can write things down or you can ask the doctor to write things down. Do not be afraid to ask them to spell complicated words. Ask if they have pamphlets or more information about any issues that come up.
  • Be prepared for good and bad news
    What we fear before we go to the doctor is usually much worse than the actual news we get. Still, you do need to be prepared for both good and bad news. BUT no matter how bad the news you are doing something about it and your doctor will help you get through all of it. I can’t tell you how many times I thought I was dying but when I finally went to the doctor the news was not nearly so grim.
  • Celebrate your visit
    Plan a reward for yourself (not food though) for going to the doctor. If this was a hard task for you to complete you deserve a reward and be proud that you got through it all. End on a high note!
    Now that you went to the doctor you have to follow up with any tests and return visits they ask. You will find you are so proud of yourself for doing all of the follow up and your doctor will be proud too. They have lots of people who do not follow their advice and so when someone says that they are now going to take ownership of their health the doctors are very happy.

Really…you can do this!

One last thing to add is that if you have a current doctor who does not seem to be very understanding with you then find another doctor! It is so important to have a doctor you are comfortable with and can trust and feel more at ease with. I adore my primary care physician because she never makes me feel rushed, she always answers all my questions, she lets me cry and understands, and she is just genuinely a caring person. Ask friends and family for recommendations of doctors they love if you need to find a new one.

If you read this post and it does not apply to you but it does apply to someone you love and care about please share it with them. Offer to be that person that helps them get through this, that makes sure they go to the appointment, and to make sure they follow through. I know it is difficult being on this end as well, but if you love the person help them be healthy!

Have you felt this way about going to the doctor before? Have you been to the doctor lately? Do you have any other tips to encourage others?

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 coupontammy January 12, 2015 at 9:44 pm

This is a great post! You really nailed somethings on the head. I think the most important of all is to find a doctor you can communicate with! I have been through several doctors! If the doctor chooses not to listen to me, then they aren’t going to be my doctor. No one knows your body like you! It took me ages and about 4 different doctors until I finally found a pain doctor to help me manage my Fibromyalgia. Making a list is a Great idea!! I also agree that the news usually isn’t as bad as you think. You can do it!

2 Robyn Wright January 17, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Thanks @coupontammy:disqus and good for you for finding doctors that would listen to you. I know pain management can be so hard to find the right doctors for especially.

3 tannawings January 14, 2015 at 5:00 pm

My DR retired last year after 20 years I was so sad. Her replacment isnt nearly as good and I am considering switching to another DR. I always have female Drs, I think for me they are a better fit..

4 Robyn Wright January 17, 2015 at 3:17 pm

It is always hard when our doctors retire. Growing up our family doctor was Dr Manansala and he was amazing. They were a nice small office, his wife was the head nurse and office manager. If you were sick they got you in that day without any problems. I just loved them.

5 AngelaLilly January 15, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I force myself to go to the doctor once a year whether I get sick or not. Last year, I went three times if you count my mammogram and pap exam. LOL! I hate it. I hate all aspects of it. BUT I think I am worth the hassle.

6 Robyn Wright January 17, 2015 at 3:17 pm

You are so right, you are worth the hassle!!!!

7 AngelaLilly January 19, 2015 at 8:00 am

We all are but, sometimes, we just don’t know it in our hearts and mind. :-D

8 Robyn Wright January 19, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Yes. Especially women, we tend to put everyone else in front of ourselves in the line.

9 AngelaLilly January 20, 2015 at 7:36 am

This is very true of the women in my family, but also the men to a degree. My hubby HATES to go to the doctor and so did my dad. I think though, for them, it is more about being vulnerable and afraid of what they will find out rather than not having enough self-love. LOL

10 Madonna January 17, 2015 at 10:36 am

I have been to so many doctors over the past 3 years and can’t find anyone that I like that will actually do anything other than throw pills at me.

11 Robyn Wright January 17, 2015 at 3:18 pm

That’s hard for sure. Have you looked at DOs instead of MDs? Doctors of Osteopath generally prescribe fewer pills I think.

12 monique January 17, 2015 at 10:43 pm

I love my doctor. Due to my medical situation, I see a Family Doctor as least once a month. I have a great bond with my doctor and have recommended him to friends and family members. He’s a great doctor.

13 Robyn Wright January 19, 2015 at 6:01 pm

That’s awesome that you have found a doctor to bond with!

14 monique January 19, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Good doctors, like friends, are hard to find.

15 Maureen G January 19, 2015 at 9:29 am

I told my doctor up front that I really didn’t want to be on medication or have regular appointments. Instead of telling me to leave, she sat down and explained to me how she would help. She is never too busy to answer questions or set me at ease. I have reformed!

16 Robyn Wright January 19, 2015 at 6:01 pm

That is fabulous @maureen_g:disqus!

17 rparis January 23, 2015 at 5:26 pm

No one has to tell me to go to the Drs. I go a lot.

18 shellypeterson February 23, 2015 at 8:37 am

Oh how I hate going to the Doctors. I only used to go when I REALLY had to. But In the last almost 2 years now I had some medical issues that had to be addressed and it seems since then I have been living in the dr. office and the hospital. But it is best not to avoid check ups. I like the idea of making a list, because I always leave and say I forgot to ask about this or that.

19 Robyn Wright February 23, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I’m glad that you are getting medical attention for your issues. Even though you wish you didn’t have any of those problems, aren’t you glad they are checking you out and helping you?

20 Carolyn Barnett March 3, 2015 at 11:23 am

I have been putting off going to my Dr.I have changed the appointment 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I need the have the colon thing done. i have divertilitus.

21 Robyn Wright March 3, 2015 at 11:25 am

I understand @carolynishis:disqus. Get yourself a friend who will help you go. When we know we have to have certain tests it makes it even harder sometime. My mom has diverticulitis also and I know it is awful. Feel better and get to the doctor soon :-)

22 julie March 8, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I make myself go for a checkup every year. I figure if I take the kids for their annual then I need to lead by example and go as well:)

23 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 1:44 pm

You are so right @disqus_2bL8zyCm6X:disqus – we have to model the behavior we want our children to do

24 Nate March 9, 2015 at 6:50 am

I get a check up regular

25 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Good job!

26 GlArthy March 15, 2015 at 1:30 am

if I can put this visit off I would. Then when the results come one asks – Now why didn’t I go 4 or 6 month earlier?

27 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I think that has happened to all of us. We like to think those little signals our body tells us will just go away but most of the time they do not.

28 Carolyn Daley March 31, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Do not let any type of “embarrassment” get in the way of regular check ups and be sure to make the necessary appointments. Doctors are used to seeing “unhealthy” people. They are supposed to be there to offer you guidance, support, and help. If you cannot trust your doctor than by all means find someone else. You need to be an advocate for your health and well being. I agree that you should try and find a doctor you are comfortable with if you are not pleased with your current one. Trust me when I say if you know or suspect you may have a health issue then it is best to not hold off as you may make things a lot worse and painful for yourself in the long run. If you are scared of being seen as “unhealthy” the best thing you can do is take a stand to try to make yourself better. I totally agree with your entire post, especially about enlisting a friend or family member to be there to support you no matter what happens at the appointment. Unfortunately, I see doctors quite frequently and I still get nervous sometimes because they are having a hard time figuring things out. I hope all is well with everyone who reads this blog post and that you take the necessary initiative to contact your doctor if you are not feeling well. By all means enlist someone who cares about you that you can trust should you hold any fears or doubts when it comes to your doctor.