How Yoga Can Help You at Work

by Robyn Wright on January 29, 2015

in Social Media

How Yoga Can Help You at Work  |  RobynsOnlineWorld.com #MyYoga (sponsored)

While I normally talk about tips on growing your business and using social media on Thursday posts, today I am broadening my scope. For most of us who work in social media we spend a large amount of time sitting behind a computer. This can be bad for our overall health but I have been learning from GaiamTV and #MyYoga (disclosure: I am compensated for my work with them but opinions and experiences are my own) on how I can use yoga to help my body and my mind. This makes me happier, more productive, and that makes me more successful.

You can really start simply. While you are sitting there and reading this post take a moment and stretch your arms up and take a deep breath and exhale. If you do just that one little movement you will be amazed at how good it can feel. Think about it, most of us stretch in some way when we have been in one position too long. Using yoga techniques will just make this better and you can do it at your desk even.

Here are some tips based on what I have learned by using yoga in connection with my work:

• Practice Desk Yoga
    There are some great videos on Gaiam that teach yoga you can do at your desk. Yoga Solutions for the Workplace, Desktop Yoga, Yoga for Computer Users, and Fly With Ease (good for those long flights and for those sitting at a desk all day). You can watch them at home to learn them and do them at work without the video or watch them on your computer or smartphone even while you are at work for guided yoga.
  • Take Breaks
    Use an alarm of some type to remind you to take frequent breaks throughout the day. My Jawbone UP 24 vibrates when I have been sitting too long. If I am working on a project though I will set a goal and then take a bit longer break after reaching it. On your breaks move your body, give your eyes a break from the screen, and take some deep breaths.
  • Stand For Work
    If you can, stand up for part of your workday. I would love one of those desks that can go up and down to be able to do this more. For now though I use my mobile devices often to do some work while standing and I actually pace often when doing this.
  • Make Your Work Environment Happy
    Try and keep your desk clear and work on only one project at a time. Make your space inviting with simple personal touches. If you want to take it a little further you can Feng Shui your workplace even. I have not gotten quite that far yet, but I’m hoping to do some of this soon.

All of these things help me be more mindful of myself and my surroundings. When I take the time to take care of myself I find I actually become much more productive. Throughout and at the end of the work day I am also less stressed. All of that makes me happy too which means I am happier when I spend time with my family.

Since I work primarily from home it does make it easier for me to practice the desk yoga but I do this when I am at conferences as well. Heck, so many of my friends in social media talk about working in their yoga pants. Since you have them on anyway go ahead and get some actual yoga into your day.

How do you take care of yourself during the work day?

#MyYoga

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 ginette4 January 29, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Yoga has helped with my friend after her car accident..so good for your health

2 Robyn Wright January 29, 2015 at 2:44 pm

That’s awesome that it is helping her after the accident!

3 shellypeterson January 30, 2015 at 3:27 am

I have never tried doing yoga before. I do spend a lot of time at the computer. I should try some these great ideas out.

4 Robyn Wright January 30, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I really encourage you to try @shellypeterson:disqus – I never realized before I started at how helpful it was!

5 Nicolthe pickle January 30, 2015 at 6:33 am

I work at home so I get up to run after my kids a lot, but once in a while I can feel I;ve been sitting too long. Yoga stretches would probably help.

6 Robyn Wright January 30, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Running after the kids is a TON of work! But the stretching really is fabulous too. There is yoga for kids too, fun activity to do with the kids

7 Robin January 30, 2015 at 8:33 am

I never sit for long at a desk. When I’m teaching I stand in front of the class; and when I’m working on the computer I often am standing (with the laptop on a counter).
I also take as many little walking breaks as possible (though I _should_ try yoga)!

8 Robyn Wright January 30, 2015 at 4:55 pm

That’s great that you are standing so much actually – it may not feel great on your feet sometimes but for your overall health it is better. What subjects do you teach by the way?

9 Robin January 31, 2015 at 8:02 am

I teach history (I employ lots of tricks to keep my students awake too)!

10 AngelaLilly January 30, 2015 at 10:47 am

I don’t work outside of the home but I do work inside the home and spend a lot of time at the PC taking care of my blogs and entering giveaways, etc. I get up at least every 30 mins and just stretch and walk around. I also do shoulder and neck rolls any time I feel tight. :-D

11 Robyn Wright January 30, 2015 at 4:55 pm

You rock!

12 AngelaLilly January 31, 2015 at 9:02 am

LOL I do? LOL Well, thank you and right back at ya! XOXO

13 Sandy Klocinski January 30, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I am retired but when I am felling stressed I say no to anything that is not important to me. Laundry, phone calls, demanding girlfriends – this is not the time to be nice and “responsible”. I give myself the permission to focus on what’s important. Getting the unessential responsibilities off my schedule not only creates some extra time and space, it also lightens the burden I’m feeling to keep up with it.

14 Robyn Wright January 30, 2015 at 4:56 pm

That is awesome @sandyklocinski:disqus! You have mastered a skill, saying no, that is so hard for the majority of people to master!

15 tannawings January 31, 2015 at 2:50 pm

No matter what, every 20 to 30 minutes I get up nd do something different. I work at home and if I have had too much computer time, it gives my eyes and mind a break. I dont much do yoga, but I do stretch around .

16 Robyn Wright January 31, 2015 at 3:26 pm

That’s the way to do it – take frequent breaks!

17 coupontammy February 1, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I like to move around a lot during the day. I also have one of the big yoga type balls and use it as a chair at my desk. It works good because I find myself moving to keep my balance and to just keep moving. I love it. Plus my back doesn’t hurt as much as it used too.

18 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I am remodeling my home office and plan on getting one of those balls to sit on too. Did you know @TheOnlineMom sits on one when she does the live recap shows from her home office even?

19 Amie February 7, 2015 at 2:04 am

Great tips! Its so hard on the body having to sit at the desk all day ! Mostly the back and shoulders for me!

20 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 2:50 pm

My neck and shoulders is where it lands for me, the same place my stress does too – I get a double whammy!

21 GlArthy February 15, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I try to add some form of exercise to day at work. Sometimes done without thought and yes, that stretch does feel good. On an occasion one day i had the chance to go on the treadmill while checking emails. That testing did not last long. I’ll take this post as a reminder to get up and start stretching limbs.

22 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I haven’t been able to figure out how folks use a treadmill and work on the computer – my eyes bounce around too much when I try it.