INFOGRAPHIC: Get a College Degree Without Breaking the Bank

by Robyn Wright on January 10, 2015

infographics logoThere has been a lot of talk about college in the last couple of days with President Obama’s idea for free community college. I am for that idea and think it would benefit a great many students.

Since that plan is not in place yet I found this week’s infographic which talks about getting a college degree without breaking the bank. This infographic is a couple of years old, but it still has some good ideas to help anyone save on college expenses.

What do you think of President Obama’s Free Community College idea? Do you have any other tips on spending less on college other than those in the infographic?

Getting a Degree without Breaking the Bank Infographic

Infographic source: BestValueSchools.com

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 AngelaLilly January 10, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I personally think that all college right thru doctorate school should be free and paid for with tax dollars. There is SO much gov waste of our tax dollars that the money IS there already. Of this I have NO doubt. I think starting with community college is great but let’s work toward a truly free education for all children AND adults!

2 Robyn Wright January 11, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I’m with you @AngelaLilly:disqus! I would much rather see tax dollars pay for education more than so many other things!

3 AngelaLilly January 11, 2015 at 12:49 pm

YES! So many people argue with me about how there just isn’t the money, but there is SO much waste from the top down to the very bottom that there is money for SO many social programs it’s actually insane. It is all about priorities. Our country needs to shift toward caregiving rather than taking and control. Just my opinion.

4 Robin January 11, 2015 at 9:02 am

President Obama’s Free Community College idea sounds useful to me.
My students often try to save on textbooks, which are terribly expensive, by renting them or selling them back to the bookstore at the end of each term, as this infographic notes
Looking into local scholarships from civic organizations is also a good idea, since those can be less competitive than large national scholarships.

5 Robyn Wright January 11, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Are they making more textbooks as electronic books yet @rkosully22:disqus? This seems like it would be so much better because they can update info faster, save on paper, etc. I just told Caitlan about looking into smaller local scholarships too – they can really add up!

6 Robin January 12, 2015 at 9:26 am

Yes, most publishers offer e-textbooks, and many of my online students take advantage of that option. On the other hand, many of my in-classroom students are in low-income brackets and do not regularly use laptops (let alone tablets), so they tend to still use the print textbooks.

7 Robyn Wright January 12, 2015 at 3:34 pm

You have quite the mix it sounds like!

8 tannawings January 11, 2015 at 8:27 pm

This may tick some off but I think his pondering on making the first 2 years free is a crock and a diversion. I think he has no intention doing it, nor has an idea how it is supposed to be funded.
That said, I do think costs can be trimmed to make it more affordable- more can be done online which would make it very cost effective. Books can be made available online and tutoring could be done long distance or a study group set up as an alternative for those who may need a bit of help.
I think it is wonderful how high schoolers now can go for college credits!
I hope I am wrong, but I dont think Obama will ever come close to getting this done- he has too many other messes right now to figure out and yes, I voted for the man.

9 Robyn Wright January 12, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I assure you that your opinion does not tick me off. I love that you are able to share your thoughts on the idea without attacking anyone – this is the way I wish all of the internet was!

10 coupontammy January 12, 2015 at 9:59 pm

I would love to see the first 2 years of college free! I just don’t know if it will happen for a long long time! I think the cost of college is getting to the point that it’s ridiculous! Many other countries pay for your college education. Why can’t the US figure out how to make it work. A part of me feels like it’s a Catch 22. We need to work on the homeless situation first. But the other side of me say’s there wouldn’t be such a big homeless problem if there was the opportunity for a college education. I just don’t know that it will be something that actually happens.

11 Nate March 6, 2015 at 6:52 am

School keeps getting expensive

12 missdonna March 14, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Some public universities charge in-state tuition for online courses even if the student is out of state. That made a huge difference for me. When I returned to finish my degree, I faced the choice of repeating many classes (credits didn’t transfer) or continuing where I started. Since I had moved away, I thought that the cost of out-of-state tuition would make it impossible. Happily, my now Alma Mater is one that offers online courses at the in-state rate. Go Jaguars! (Governors State University, University Park IL)

13 Robyn Wright March 14, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Great information! This can help save college students a lot of money! Thanks!