First Trip to the St. Charles Dog Park (St. Louis)

by Robyn Wright on February 8, 2015

in St. Louis

Annie's first visit to DuSable Dog Park in St. Charles, Missouri

Today we took Annie to the dog park for the first time. Well, maybe she went to one before with her previous family but it is doubtful. This was a first for Hubby and I as well. We went to the DuSable Dog Park in St. Charles, Missouri (suburb of St. Louis) and it was a really great visit!

It took a little bit of hunting to find the dog area of this park. There are three entrances it seems and of course we needed to be in the last one. Not a problem though but I do think it would be helpful for the park to put up signs that say “dog park” with an arrow to point towards the other entrances.

Because Needy Paws Rescue had told us Annie was a bit hesitant with other dogs we were actually nervous about taking her to the dog park. When we first arrived we kept her on her leash and walked along the fence outside of the area. The other dogs came up on their side of the fence to greet her and she seemed okay with that. Then we took her into the fenced area, but still kept her on her leash. The other people there were very friendly and encouraging once we told them this was our first visit. Hubby walked Annie around on her leash for about 10 minutes or so. The other dog owners said she really seemed to be doing well so we took the chance and let her off her leash. She LOVED it! Annie roamed around and met the other dogs and just enjoyed exploring. I felt like it was the first day she was going to school and actually got a tear in my eye when I saw her playing well with the other “kids”.

While I don’t have any other dog parks to compare DuSable Dog Park with, I would still recommend it. The other dog people were very nice and helpful. It seemed like a very large fenced area to me. There are public bathrooms available right between the large and small dog areas. You can also get water there from an outside pump for the dogs. I loved that the park offers plenty of space to also walk your dog on the leash if you like. I think we will definitely be returning as Annie had such a wonderful time! We will also be trying out other dog parks in the St. Louis area and reporting on them to you!

Do you have a favorite dog park in the St. Louis area? If you aren’t in St. Louis do you have a dog park in your area?

Robyn writes about St. Louis, Missouri area events and activities each Sunday.Things to Do in St. Louis

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 coupontammy February 8, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Oh that’s so nice that Annie had fun! They are like our “kids” also. I think it sounds like a great dog park. We have several really nice ones here in Portland. I do have a favorite. But I couldn’t tell you the name of it for the life of me. :)

2 Robyn Wright February 9, 2015 at 3:35 pm

The only reason I know the name is because I had to look it up to find directions :-)

3 Robin February 9, 2015 at 8:21 am

That looks like a great park! We don’t have a dog, but a lot of our friends have expressed their wishes for a suitable park in our town. It would definitely be used well.

4 Robyn Wright February 9, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Our dog park is fairly new – it took several years to convince the city to put it in I think.

5 Jackie Preas February 9, 2015 at 9:09 am

So happy that Annie had a good time and you will be taking her back.They are our babies :).

6 Robyn Wright February 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm

They sure are!

7 shellypeterson February 9, 2015 at 12:11 pm

What a cute dog, so glad she did so well and enjoyed the dog park. We have a dog park here where I live but have never been there.

8 Robyn Wright February 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Thanks!

9 ginette4 February 9, 2015 at 12:49 pm

What a beautiful girl, we have two dogs..I’ve always wanted to go to the dog park but one of my dogs isn’t so nice, I know that I would have a hard time with her, my boy would love it but I cannot bring one and leave the other at home..he would have a great time being with others dogs..maybe one day I’ll try but I would have to bring someone else along to help out..glad to see that your Annie loved it.

10 Robyn Wright February 9, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I think that is very cool that you understand you have a dog that isn’t so nice though. There are some pet owners that are just kind of clueless about the behavior of their pets and when they go places like this they just ruin it for so many others. Maybe you could take your nicer dog to the dog park and then take your grumpier dog for a long walk on a leash in a special place?

11 ginette4 February 10, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Oh yes..she’s not very nice at all, I would just feel bad taking one out and not the other..they sure know how to pull on my heart strings..lol

12 tannawings February 9, 2015 at 2:59 pm

It sounds like Annie had a good time once she was comfortable! I have never taaken Odin to the dog park. The few times he has been around other dogs he has seemed OK with it, although he doesnt take kindly to prolonged sniffing. I take him out and run him in areas I know are safe like at my Father in Laws farm,

13 Robyn Wright February 9, 2015 at 3:39 pm

We are anxious to take Annie up to the lake house so she will have more room to run around when we are there. Here at home we have a tiny yard and she has to stay on a leash – up at the lake she will have a lot more freedom.

14 coupcrazy February 10, 2015 at 8:26 am

We have a nice dog park a couple towns over. Not to far from us and most of my friends live their, so we take little road trips to have doggie play dates at the park.

15 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 1:37 pm

That sounds so fun! I’m planning on making some doggie play dates for Annie this spring too!

16 AngelaLilly February 11, 2015 at 12:56 pm

awwww I LOVE this! :-D <3 I don't have a dog, so this isn't an issue for me. One of my good friends takes her dog to dog parks all over the central Ohio area and just loves it. I will admit to going to a dog park and sitting in my car with my partner and just watching the dogs have fun. LOL There is one near our fav Indian restaurant and, if we are running early, we will sometimes do this. :-D I just love watching the dogs run free!

17 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 1:38 pm

You could always ask at a local shelter if they need volunteers once a week/month to take a dog or two to a local dog park if you want to get even more involved :-)

18 AngelaLilly March 23, 2015 at 2:04 pm

We do a lot of donations to our local no-kill shelter and I have looked into volunteering but have gotten turned away due to my limited availability. I do know that they don’t allow you to take any of the animals off site unless you are a foster. :-( Such a great idea though, if only they were open to it. They do have a HUGE enclosed outside area at the shelter though, where the dogs are allowed to run free daily. So, at least there is that. :-D

19 Robyn Wright March 23, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Sometimes it can be disappointing when you want to help and the org can’t figure out how to make it work. That is awesome that you donate though and have at least offered to volunteer!

20 AngelaLilly March 24, 2015 at 8:23 am

Thanks! I agree but I also “get it.” They need what they need and, if I am not in the position to fill a need, then they don’t need me. LOL I am OK with it. Disappointed but not bitter. LOL! And yes, I donate all the time. I enter giveaways for stuff for them and sign up for free samples that I donate. I also have them as my selected charity at various places that I shop that offer charity donation services, so they get money from me that way. :-D

21 Nate February 25, 2015 at 6:51 am

Looks like a fun place

22 Dawn Schamp-Monzu May 20, 2015 at 9:06 pm

OMG, do you love the dog parks or what? I love when you are driving in and they know where they are….and they start going crazy. They are so cute. I used to take my daughter’s Husky every weekend (before my granddaughter came). I miss taking her to that place! You look like your having a great time (especially your puppy!). haha

23 Robyn Wright May 23, 2015 at 1:54 pm

She loves going and gets excited now that she knows what it is :-)