How to Save Money with Your Freezer

by Robyn Wright on July 8, 2015

in Food

How To Save Money With Your Freezer  |  RobynsOnlineWorld.com

Last year we finally bought a small deep freeze and it has been great. Our refrigerator is a side-by-side so the freezer space there is limited, but with the extra freezer we have a lot more room now.

As much as 30 to 40 percent of all food in North America is wasted, according to the United Nations Environment Programme. That’s about 20 pounds per person every month! In terms of money, that’s an alarming $165 billion in wasted food annually, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council.

A smarter freezer storage plan, coupled with buying in bulk, saves time, money, decreases waste and makes for a more organized home. You can maximize the value of your freezer and ensure your hard-earned dollars don’t go to waste with these five easy tips to help keep your family and freezer organized.

1. Add a Stand Alone Freezer.
    Make room to save more. Consumers annually save $750 on their food bill when buying in bulk. A freezer provides additional storage space, giving you the flexibility to store larger quantities of food out of the way while you keep items for immediate use close by. A great option is the Frigidaire freezer, which boasts ample storage capacity, superior organization and peace of mind. Plus, it’s ENERGY STAR qualified and is more than 22 percent energy efficient than standard freezers. This is one of the biggest ways my family is saving on food costs now days.
  2. Make a Meal Prep Day
    Now there are some folks that do a whole month of freezer meals but you don’t have to go that far. Make up a few freezer friendly meals to have on hand as well as making your own convenience foods like my Homemade Breakfast Burritos or Greek Yogurt Fruit Smoothie Freezer Packs. Some dishes I just make a double batch of and eat one that night and freeze the other batch for later like my Beef Florentine Stuffed Pasta Shells. You can ensure you always have healthy, home-cooked meals on hand by taking a few hours once a week to prep and cook your meals. Meals that you’ll eat early in the week can be kept in the fridge until mealtime. Dishes you plan to eat later in the week can be placed in storage containers and frozen until use. After some practice, you’ll be able to work efficiently and prep meals that work best for your family.
  3. Buy in Bulk Sometimes
    Think about how well items freeze before you decide to buy in bulk. Also look for a neighbor or relative who might want to split bulk items with you so you both get the savings but not quite so much of one food. We do this buy purchasing large cuts or packages of raw meat and cutting and packing into quantities that fit just Hubby and I and Hubby also does this with lunch meat to save money.
  4. Get a FoodSaver
    Reducing the excess air in storage bags and containers will help reduce freezer burn which toughens textures and makes flavors not so great. We have been using a FoodSaver for a while now and think it is a worthy investment to save money. Note, however, that you’ll need to leave space in containers that hold soup or sauce as liquid expands when frozen and could potentially crack your storage containers.

How do you use your freezer to save money?

Partial Source: Frigidaire and Family Features

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 brendashandmade July 8, 2015 at 11:29 pm

We really like our food saver. We always use it to freeze leftover meat from Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2 Robyn Wright July 12, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Yes, the FoodSaver is perfect for those big holiday leftovers!

3 tannawings July 9, 2015 at 8:53 pm

We actually have 2 freezers both an upright and one of the smaller models. I use mine yo save produce from the garden in one and each fall we buy half a pig and a quarter of a beef. This lasts us through the winter. Being in Iowa, there are also months we can basicaally turn the freezers to their lowest levels since they are on the back porch. We are able to feed ourselves and also share if someone we know needs it by utilizing the deep freeze. I have a section for leftovers and also for freezer meals. Today I made 2 meatloafs, we had one and the other was frozen. I like doing that for pasta meals too like lasagnas, and soups. I would llove to get a foodsaver, thats been on my list for some time.

4 Robyn Wright July 12, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Wow – you are super organized with your freezing! We often buy half a pig or cow also and stock up. I wish we had a big garden to freeze lots of our own produce, this year has been pretty stinky even on the few things we have planted sadly.

5 Robin July 10, 2015 at 7:13 am

A meal prep day is a great idea. When frozen items are on sale, I do try to stock up on them, but our freezer is not that big, so I would love to invest in a larger one.

6 Robyn Wright July 12, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Hubby was the one who pushed for a separate freezer for us and I said no for the longest time, but he was right, it really was worth the money. We actually bought a fairly small one at Sam’s Club for about $150 that is working great for us.

7 Julie Wood July 10, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I want to get a big freezer next year, so I can have more room for frozen food. I see a lot of good deals at the stores, but I can not get a lot of the frozen deals because I do not have any room in my freezer. I think having a big freezer can really save me money on food!

8 Robyn Wright July 12, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Definitely! Start saving just $5 a week or so to put towards a deep freeze and you will have enough before you know it!

9 Ray Mcclain July 12, 2015 at 12:22 pm

When the local stores have corn cheap, I freeze corn on the cob in the husks. Just cut the ends off, rinse, wrap in plastic, and drop in the freezer. Microwave for about 4 minutes per ear and strip off the husks and silks under running water. They are supposed to keep for 6 months, but I’ve never had any that long.

To know what’s in the freezer, write on the door/lid with a dry erase pen. Put the number you added, then a line when you use one. I.E. 24 corn IIII. Use a date if it must be used in a certain time.

10 Robyn Wright July 12, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Fabulous tips @ray_mcclain:disqus! Thank you so much!

11 Susan Smith July 12, 2015 at 8:33 pm

We save money buy buying food when there is a good sale. I also will make extra servings when I make dinner and freeze them for later meals. This saves time too.
s2s2 at cox dot net

12 jodi schmidt July 20, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Wow!! Didn’t realize how much food is wasted in North America. Those facts are just crazy!! I’m going to try some of the tips listed on here.

13 Monique July 25, 2015 at 10:09 am

I need to invest in a foodsaver. My husband is extremely frugal, so we don’t waste much. But I’m sure a foodsaver can help me save even more.

14 sjgadsby July 30, 2015 at 12:08 pm

As my three kids approach their teenage years, having a refrigerator and a chest freezer in the basement is certainly helping. Buying in bulk saves money, both on the items themselves and by the fact that we make fewer trips to the grocery store. If you pick up “just one or two extra little treats” every time you go to the store, going to the store less often helps save money.

15 michelle matta July 31, 2015 at 2:10 pm

We just got a standalone freezer a couple months back, and I find it saves money in some unexpected places. We go to the bulk store about once a month, and the grocery store more often. It’s cutting down on our trips because we now have more dinners available in the house. I am excited about this in winter as it means less times to bundle up.

16 Lisa Brown November 14, 2015 at 4:05 am

We have a stand alone freezer and it is constantly used and full. It saves money, time, effort. It is so nice to have things in the freezer ready to go for days when you are pressed for time and don’t know what to fix the family.