My Version of Hubby’s #SwitchersRemorse

by Robyn Wright on July 6, 2015

Have you ever wished you had not made a change to something else? Did you think the grass was greener on the other side of the fence? How long did it take you to realize you made a mistake and you had switcher’s remorse?

Hubby's story of #SwitchersRemorse

So this weekend I have been thinking about a story to tell you all about my own feeling of switcher’s remorse because I am working on this as part of Verizon’s #SwitchersRemorse campaign. (DISCLOSURE: I am being compensated.) I am sure there must be some things I feel like that about, but I have not been able to think of anything really interesting. Part of this is because I tend to find the silver lining in events in life and just move forward with it.

However….

I did think of a #SwitchersRemorse story about Hubby that has to do with me. Since this is my blog and he is at work I am going to tell the story to you based on how I think it went in his head! This may, or may not, be how it actually went down, but I like to think of it this way.

Way back when, in the late 80’s, Hubby and I started dating. It really was not anything too serious, but he was the only one I was dating at the time. We liked each other – we were friends first and still friends as we dated. Now Hubby had this evil friend, we shall call him Rat. Rat was always trying to fix Hubby up with other girls – he would do this in front of me even and it pissed me off. Rat was not a favorite person of mine. After about six months of Hubby and I dating Hubby foolishly gave me the, “I think we should just be friends” spiel. My ego was a bit bruised, but it was not the end of the world.

We were still friends and saw each other at the same hangouts. Hubby and I always were very flirty with each other, even when we were not dating. He dated other girls, I dated other guys. Both of us had problems with our respective dates occasionally thinking that someone was going on between Hubby and I even though there wasn’t. By the way, Hubby just shared this tidbit with me for the first time a couple of weeks ago!

About a year after we had broken up is when I knew Hubby had switcher’s remorse, although I’m sure (at least in my head) he had been heart broken and devastated since the day he gave me that just friends line. We were not running into each other as often these days, but every single time we did at this point he started telling me how dumb he was to break up with me.

Please take me back! I was a fool! #SwitchersRemorse

“Oh, Robyn! I can’t believe how dumb I was to break up with you!” he cried.

“Yep, uh huh” I replied while rolling my eyes at him.

He looked at me so pitifully, but I didn’t fall for it. Why? Because he was always in a relationship with someone else when he was telling me these things! Yes ladies, if you dated Hubby in this in between time he was telling me the whole time you dated him that he wanted to be with me. Sorry.

“Robyn I miss you so much! Why did I say I only wanted to be friends?” he said over and over each time I saw him. In my head, “because you’re a stupid ass, that’s why!”

Now we are in the fall of 1990 and our mutual friend, John, asked if I wanted to go down to the state park with him and Hubby one day. Sure, why not. Once we were down at the park Hubby started in on me again about how much he missed me and how I was the best girlfriend he ever had, blah, blah, blah. For whatever reason this time I told him that I would go out with him again after he broke up with his current girlfriend.

He did it! Yep, he broke up with her – although she did not want to let go very easily.

We started dating again on October 31, 1990. He told me when he picked me up that night that he was so happy to be with me again and he hoped this time he wouldn’t be so stupid.

Apparently he wasn’t because we have been together ever since!

brad and robyn

No more #SwitchersRemorse for Hubby now!

Do you have a story of #SwitchersRemorse? And don’t worry if your switcher’s remorse is moving from Verizon to another wireless company – Verizon will welcome you back with open arms just like I did (finally) for Hubby!

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 MaryBethT July 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Aww, such a cute story, Robyn! :) So glad it all worked out so very wonderfully.

2 Robyn Wright July 6, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Thanks @MaryBethT:disqus! So am I!

3 PinkLacedPoppy July 6, 2015 at 1:11 pm

So cute! I’ve always been with Verizon so no remorse here. Mainly I guess it’s too much headache but I try to save money where I can since I can’t hear as well off other providers as I can Verizon. Seems more compatible w my hearing aid.

4 Robyn Wright July 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Great to know! Just an FYI for you also – here is a list of Verizon devices that are hearing aid compatible http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/accessibility/products.html

5 PinkLacedPoppy July 7, 2015 at 8:31 am

Thanks Robyn! I pretty much just use speaker but most everyone just texts me haha. It is my preference. However my hearing aid switches over to work on phones automatically. I do have Bluetooth compatibility but since you have to charge it so much I just never use it. Pretty cool though if you want to listen to music it will stream right thru hearing aid

6 Tommy Clifford July 6, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I LOVE the honesty here! Guys are just stupid sometimes and if I recall correctly, I did similar dumb things while I was sowing my wild oats. Great story, thanks for sharing!

7 Julie Wood July 6, 2015 at 3:25 pm

What a really nice story about you and your husband. I am so glad that you have been together all this time! I liked how you started this post, and I have my own switcheroo story too. I did the same thing your husband did to my current husband. I thought playing the field was better. But he is such a nice guy, that I kept comparing him to every guy I dated, and went back! I am glad I did.

8 terrinakamura July 6, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Gotta love a story with a happy ending, Robyn!

9 tannawings July 6, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Never trust a guy named Rat :) I loved your story, and Brad you are one lucky fella she decided to end up with you (OK you are pretty nice thinking about it so you both are lucky) Robyn youre a catch! As for switcher remorse, I guess there have been times, but over all I am pretty happy.

10 Kelster July 7, 2015 at 1:23 am

Aaw. I’m glad he wised up quickly instead of just sulking for several years.

11 Ray Mcclain July 7, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Great story. I’m glad you two got back together.

Now for your question. No remorse to report. I was with AT&T from the “bag phone” days up till 2010. AT&T had the coverage, Verizon didn’t. In 2010, Verizon acquired more towers in my area, so I checked the price, found it was half price and switched. I’ve been happy with them for about 5 years. That’s regular cdma, not LTE. The LTE is said to be spotty locally. I’ll find out when I receive my Droid Turbo.

12 Techtembo July 17, 2015 at 2:32 pm

great story

13 Monique July 25, 2015 at 10:14 am

My #SwitchersRemorse is not about a phone company but about my job in the military. I was a radio operater, talking to the aircraft and I thought I needed a change. I became a computer operator and hated the job. I missed my last job so much, I cried every day I had to go to my new job. I still regret that decision.

14 Cathy Bradford July 27, 2015 at 9:23 am

I wish our service was better with Verizon but I am seriously thinking of switching, very soon, I cannot get any help in store or over the phone, hopefully I won’t experience #SwitchersRemorse