Procrastinating Does Not Help

by Robyn Wright on July 20, 2015

Procrastinating Does Not Help

I’m sure I have talked about being a procrastinator here before. I am really good at it. Sadly.  Hiding out in bed, pulling the covers up over you, none of that makes things go away. However, I have been trying really hard lately to reform my ways.

Really, really hard.

This does not mean I have overcome my procrastination, it just means I am trying and finally noticing the benefits of taking on tasks and needs as they come instead of worrying like a crazy woman and putting them off…

and off and off and off and off again.

I thought I would share a few of the things that are helping me with all of this…

• It feels good!
    As bad as some things are to deal with, when you actually do deal with them it feels good to know that you put on your big girl (or guy) panties and started dealing with it.
  • It is not as bad as you think!
    A big part of my procrastination usually comes from the fact that I am a bit (understand of the year) a worry wart about things. What I am learning is that generally once I start tackling a problem that it really is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
  • The clock slows down
    I wish it would stop sometimes, but that is not reality. However, when you start working on a problem that has been there that you have tried to ignore for so long the clock does kind of slow down in taking care of things at least. It seems more manageable at the very least.
  • You gain perspective
    Many of the things that I procrastinate about have required that I talked to a professional or someone “in the know” about the subject. Doing this has really given me a much better perspective on the problem and makes it, again, more manageable.
  • Set specific tasks to complete
    Rather than just say, “I’m going to take care of X tomorrow”, instead set a specific task to get you started. That might just be a phone call, looking up something online, putting something in the mail, making an appointment, etc. Baby steps are those specific tasks. Once you accomplish one of them then make sure to set the next specific task on your to do list or calendar and keep the momentum going.
  • Support is nice
    Rather than just worrying in your own mind about things, once you talk to someone who specializes in whatever area you need you have support! These people are going to be on your team to help you take care of the problem and walk you through the process. You still have to do the work, but at least someone is there with you.
  • Ask opinions – a little
    Once you do start tackling something don’t be afraid to ask people that you know and trust their opinion about the subject. They can give you a fresh perspective. A word of caution though, not every problem should be discussed on places like Facebook because you will get a huge variety of answers – some good, but many bad – about the situation.
  • Celebrate your victories
    Once you have finished something, rather it is a baby step in a process or the whole big thing, take the time to celebrate that victory. Be proud of yourself! Let others be proud of you too!

Today was actually a good example of me taking care of a lot of things that normally I would procrastinate about. I took care of step one of getting COBRA insurance, I signed up for the new benefits that will start in September, I went to the bank, I made an appointment with my oral surgeon, I called my dentist to follow up with a question I had from last Friday, and even a few other little things. These may seem small, but for me to take care of so many personal things on one day is really great and I am very proud of myself.

Hubby and I text each other quite often during the day too. I can tell you that Hubby much prefers getting texts from me saying I took care of this, and that, and this rather than a text that I am worrying or afraid of tackling something. He may still have work related stress but I know he is relieved to see me doing all of those things. He also knows that he is my number one cheerleader and is able to say “good job Robyn” often!

Again, this is still hard work, but it is becoming manageable.

The more that I tackle things the easier it is becoming. I am able to use the tools that I have learned in therapy to help me along the way as well. Plus, I am replacing those negative thoughts and actions with positive ones.

Why am I sharing this?

The same reason that I always share. One is because it is helpful for me to get it all out. Two is because I hope that some of the words I say can connect with at least one of my readers and help them with similar problems and to not feel like they are the only one in the world. And three – well I like to talk LOL and you, the wonderful person reading this, are a great listener!

Are you a procrastinator or have you overcome it? What advice would you give to me or anyone else reading this?

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 brendashandmade July 20, 2015 at 10:56 pm

I’m so happy for you that you were able to take these steps to start getting some things done! I started writing down things in a block time schedule and that’s helped me get things done. I see it’s time to do it, so I better get working on it. It does feel good to accomplish something. I love it that you and your husband text throughout the day. What a great way to stay connected.

2 lfhpueblo July 20, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I say good for you, and I mean that in a positive way.

3 tannawings July 21, 2015 at 1:00 am

Good day that you got it ll done! I am an on again off again procrastinator. If it is cleaning/decluttering or something like that, I put things off. If I am trying to do something for someone else, I fight like a tiger and dont put anything off.

4 Robin July 21, 2015 at 6:14 am

I actually read an article about this recently, and the title stuck in my mind: “Anti-Procrastination Apps Actually Work, Study Says.” The research concluded that relying on technology to overcome procrastination can be more effective than expecting willpower to do it for you. The link is here: http://bit.ly/1edMgwy

5 Julie Wood July 22, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I tend to be a procrastinator taking care of my stuff, but when it comes to helping my sister, Dad or son, I am right on taking care of whatever they need. Maybe helping too many other people out is making me burned out and not getting my own stuff done. I am going to get to the eye doctor and get new glasses! I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I do feel better when I deal with important stuff that needs to be done!

6 Susan Smith July 23, 2015 at 7:43 am

Yes I tend to be when it’s something I’m anxious to do. A few months ago my Dentist told me I needed a deeper cleaning which meant numbing my mouth to clean my teeth. I’m always anxious about being at the dentist anyway so I put off making the appointment for a few months. I did have the cleaning done last week and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and it feels good to get that appointment in the past and out of my mind.
s2s2 at cox dot net

7 Monique July 25, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I procrastinate all the time. I find myself not wanting to do things and saying I will do it the next day. I started procrastinating this year. I don’t know why I’m becoming that person. Maybe because of all the work I have to complete.

8 Danielle Gosha July 25, 2015 at 10:15 pm

I think my favorite tip is to celebrate the little victories. Once you stop bashing your head in, you can see the beauty of the world around you.

9 Lisa Voyce July 31, 2015 at 12:05 am

I live with a procrastinator and I am one who gets things done easier. Perhaps this is a type b versuse a type b personality. Procrastination to me is a person who doesn’t worry so much versus a person who needs/feels it has to be done on time/get there on time. So, me needing to get there, get it done is a stress causer…probably die younger for it too. I try to reason with my procrastinator…but no avail. We will never understand one another.

10 Olivia July 31, 2015 at 1:02 am

I thought I was ready to answer this but I’ll put it off until tomorrow! Kidding!! I am a procrastinator at times also but I am trying to work on it also. I guess it’s bad to live by the motto, “There’s always tomorrow!”

11 Trisha McKee July 31, 2015 at 1:32 am

Yes! As a chronic procrastinator, I can tell you the number one reason is fear! I am terrified that it will be too monumental of a task to complete and/or get right.

12 Jahan Peregretti July 31, 2015 at 1:47 am

I procrastinate too! It is a bad habit, but for me sometimes I have to put off things until I can find the strength and time to do them! Being a mom has made procrastinating worse, but I am using your experiences and tips above to change that and try something new!

13 michelle matta July 31, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I find the older I get, the more I am satisfied by checking things off my todo list. Thats not to say i dont procrastinate tons, its just a note i need to be aware of because i can cheer up my whole day just by ‘doing’ virtually anything i need to