Thanksgiving Tools for Your Smartphone 2015

by Robyn Wright on November 17, 2015

in Tech

Thanksgiving Mobile Apps | RobynsOnlineWorld.com

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching so today I’m sharing some of the tools that I utilize on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 smartphone from Verizon. Disclosure: I have received my phone as part of the Verizon #VZWBuzz Lifestyle Blogger Group; opinions are my own. It is amazing how much I can accomplish with this phone!

• Pinterest
    I find so many ideas for recipes and Thanksgiving crafts, décor, and activities on Pinterest. It is amazing how many creative ideas are put up on Pinterest every single day. I have a Thanksgiving Pinterest board myself if you need a place to start.
  • Skype
    While I will be with much of my family on Thanksgiving, there are some members that will not be here at my home. I plan on using the Skype app to do video calls with them to stay connected and wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Verizon NFL
    So you know that I’m not really a big sports watcher, but I do have the Verizon NFL Mobile app on my phone and so if my dad or anyone else wants a quick update on a game I can open up the app and get him the latest scores and even watch some of the games.
  • OneNote
    Since I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner at my home this year I have been making all of my plans in OneNote. I can access this from my desktop, laptop, tablet, or my phone easily. This has been great for keeping my shopping list at my fingertips, the guest list, and other ideas I have for the day.

onenote thanksgiving

• Thanksgiving Help Hotlines
    Just in case I have any cooking or food problems I have some of the Thanksgiving food and cooking help hotlines ready to dial.

• Butterball Turkey Talk-Line 800-288-8372
    • Sara Lee Pie Hotline: 888-914-1247
    • USDA Meat & Poultry Hotline: 888-674-6854
    • Honeysuckle White Turkey Line: 800-810-6325
  • Instagram
    You all know that I love sharing pictures on Instagram and Thanksgiving will be no different! I will be sharing pics of the food and the family on that day. Maybe my son, who seems to be a bit camera shy these days, will even let me post one of him.
  • Food Network Thanksgiving Videos
    Watching Food Network is always a favorite with me on TV, but they also have tons of great Thanksgiving videos online. For Thanksgiving they have an entire series of videos that can help me with any cooking conundrums I may have.
  • Taste of Home Magazine
    As you know I do enjoy cooking and one of the magazines I always find useful recipes in is Taste of Home. They have an online version in the Google Play store that is worth the subscription price for the year or even if you just want to buy the special Thanksgiving edition.
  • Verizon Messages+
    The Verizon Messages+ app is a free upgrade from the standard messaging app on your phone. I have been using this for a long time now and can’t live without it. While it does the basic messaging functions, I can also customize screens, send photos, video, gifts, and so much more. Plus it syncs with the desktop app even so I have all of my messages on all of my devices. I’m sure I will use this on Thanksgiving day to remind my guests of what time to arrive, I can preschedule messages even, plus send those emergencies texts to people like Mom to please stop and bring something I’ve forgotten for the day.

What apps or sites do you use on your smartphone or tablet to help with Thanksgiving? I would also love to hear any fun Thanksgiving games that you enjoy.

Robyn is a #VZWBuzz Lifestyle Blogger

© 2015, Robyn Wright. All rights reserved.

1 Mistee Dawn November 17, 2015 at 6:00 pm

This is a great list! I definitely need to look into Verizon NFL! I never even knew I had that!

2 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Yes and it is included in most Verizon packages!

3 Kristen November 18, 2015 at 12:33 am

I could’ve used the pie hotline one year when my pie wouldn’t set! I suspect I know why now, but at the time I couldn’t figure out how to save it! Every other year my pies turned out fine…

4 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I’m a terrible baker – I think it is because I don’t follow the instructions well enough. What do you think the problem was with your pies the last time?

5 Kristen November 20, 2015 at 1:28 pm

…well at the time I had no idea, but last year we bought a new stove and I noticed it seemed to have some temperature issues so I went out and bought an oven thermometer and noticed that when it said it was preheated to a certain temperature it really wasn’t! I went back to the store (because we’d just recently bought it after all!) and talked to the repair guys about it. They told me that just because the light has gone off saying the oven is preheated doesn’t mean it’s actually at that temperature! I was like “what?!?” That makes no sense! I never had that problem with my previous oven. Now I just know to ignore the preheating button and read the temp on the little thermometer I bought which I keep in the oven all the time. Baking is a science so it really matters that the oven is at the right heat! (the time my pies didn’t set I was staying at a friend’s house using her oven, so I suspect it was the same)

6 Robyn Wright November 20, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Sadly this is so true with anything with a built-in thermometer, they are rarely very accurate. Using an extra thermometer in ovens and grills can really make a great difference. I’m glad you figured this out now though and can make great pies!

7 Lisa Brown November 18, 2015 at 6:08 am

Love Taste of Home Magazine, great recipes.

8 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Agreed, it is one of the few cooking magazines I still will buy.

9 Robin November 18, 2015 at 6:44 am

Taste of Home magazine is one of the best. I would need the Sara Lee Pie Hotline if I were baking any pies this year….I will check out some of the Food Network Thanksgiving videos though!

10 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Agreed, love Taste of Home! No baking this year? What do you have for a vegetarian Thanksgiving?

11 Robin November 20, 2015 at 7:24 am

I will just eat the side dishes, since I’m not hostessing. I’m bringing the Waldorf Salad and some beverages. Justin’s family always makes plenty of food, and I won’t go hungry!

12 tannawings November 18, 2015 at 8:29 pm

The only one I have used is the hotline. After doing Turkey Day for this many years, I am fairly decent at getting by. I might look at pinterest though for side dishes.

13 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Yes, Pinterest is so amazing for recipes! It is where I get the bulk of my new ones these days!

14 Susan Smith November 18, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I use Pinterest often to find recipes. I have also called the Butterball turkey line when I had a question about cooking my turkey.

15 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:06 pm

That’s awesome that you used the turkey line – were they able to help you when you called?

16 nidhi November 18, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I got lots of holiday decorating inspirations from pinterest. Its a great source full of useful info.

17 Robyn Wright November 19, 2015 at 5:06 pm

So agree, I <3 Pinterest!

18 shellypeterson November 19, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Oh I love Pinterest! I need to get the Skype app on my phone so we can Skype with my Mom since she lives so far away.

19 Robyn Wright November 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Definitely get Skype on your computer and/or phone and/or tablet and have your mom do the same. It keeps improving and really is so much easier than what it was in the past. If you both get it set up ahead of time it will go much smoothing on Thanksgiving day!

20 Tara November 22, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Pinterest is my favorite app! Love it!

21 Robyn Wright November 22, 2015 at 6:25 pm

One of my favorites as well!

22 salexis November 22, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Good idea sharing those food hotlines! Especially with all those people defrosting and cooking turkeys!

23 Natalie November 23, 2015 at 6:42 am

I love the Food Network videos! They are helpful in making different Thanksgiving dishes. I never knew there were so many Thanksgiving Help Hotlines.